FH foresaw Judas Gospels?

Sober

No conspiracies here. I was rereading GEoD, and what really caught me was in the final chapter, the report on Dar-Es Balat, and how the translations of the journals did such thing as: "...the Church's characterization of Judas/Nayla deserves careful reevaluation." So, going back to the second final chapter of GEoD, where Leto finally dies, Nayla, who throughout the novel establishes herself as someone devoted to her God - parallel to Judas Iscariot who is a disciple to Jesus. She 'kills' Leto by firing her lasgun at the bridge they cross and is pretty much forever damned to at least Leto's church, until at least they discover the journals - while Judas gives up where Jesus is to the Romans, and identifies him, and we've pretty much damned him until just recently with the discovery of the Gospel of Judas. Not to mention Duncan blows her to bits, and some accounts of Judas killing himself include some exploding.

With the Judas Gospels, it also raises questions such as if Jesus planned or foresaw his 'betrayal', and we have Leto, we could interpret that he 'saw' his death or helped plan it by attaching Nayla, our 'Judas', to Siona. However, it could probably be argued that Leto didn't see this death because it involved Siona.

So anyways, two people who are seen as commiting deicide, but are eventually later redeemed. Coincidence? Any thoughts on this?

There are people who have been giving theories involving Judas for a very long time. Different interpretations of him have existed far before the discovery of some more weird scrolls. There is a parallel between the characters, at least to some degree, but nothing that indicates any connection or prediction of the Iscariot 'gospels.'

I had interpreted this part as that alot of romanticism and myths were added by people, while it should be looked with all factors into account just as there is this "realist" school of thinking politics often opposed to cynism (good politicians can do bad things, the context acts on them, etc.). I thought that Herbert saw some context behind, not just an emotional base bringing to "I hate/else this person, so I betray".

The Gospel of Judas is actually part of such a "there is a context" group of interpretation. Thanks for bringing this to us :)

• 2 weeks later...