why this happen

Hi...i noticed on my drivers that after a cirten time they build more used space

than there actuly is.. it can go up to 4g of this used space.. i uslay move all my files an reformat it...so i did this time but befor i do that i rechecked of the driver space and it had 4g of used space but the driver was totaly emty !!

and when i defrangment it, it was moving files that wasnt even there...am i doing somthing rong?  why this happen and haw i can stop it?? thx

i tryed an avg scan on the empty driver and i noticed its scanning some recycler files but the

recycle bin is empty

am not going to format this driver and i will wait maybe you would want to trace those files.

note for windows user:

If you calculate my disk is 120 G for example, I partition it into 100 and 20 G,

Then install windows onto the 20G drive, the 100 G drive, which you calculated to be 100G, wont be exactly 100G, windows has always had problems with displaying the drive space..

and there could be some virtual memory on that disk,

Right click My Computer,

properties,

Advanced Tab,

Then the 1st button of the 3 that says something like CPU usage, virtual memory..

the window you get next, click advanced, then at the bottom, click virtual memory..

maybe there is some usage on the D drive..

you are all correct that formatting, NTFS partition data, recycle stuff and such takes u disk space. Although not 4gig of it.

Sp1cy, you mentioned it's defragmenting non-existing data. How do you know it is and can you attach a screenshot of it ?

Just to be sure. You are not thinking that a harddisk (new and unformatted) of 10 gig will still be 10gig after you have formatted it ? It will be 8,X gig

first of the amount of bytes on harddrives is messured in decimals and not in powers of 1024. Next to that any filesystem has an overhead in the filesystem itself. Data used to store the filesystem so to speak. This just dissapears when you fotmat a drive resulting in "missing" data space.

When you buy a harddrive which claims to be 100gig. It's 100gig in decimals and unformatted.

If you whould format the 300gig drive with a FAT16 filesystem you will have more storage space then when you format the same disk with NTFS for example.

So if you have a 80gig harddisk. Format it with NFS and the result is a 72gig harddrive formatted you are ok. If you have formatted it, have 72gig. . don't do anything with it and next week you have 74gig of free space then you have a problem.

you are all correct that formatting, NTFS partition data, recycle stuff and such takes u disk space. Although not 4gig of it.

Sp1cy, you mentioned it's defragmenting non-existing data. How do you know it is and can you attach a screenshot of it ?

Just to be sure. You are not thinking that a harddisk (new and unformatted) of 10 gig will still be 10gig after you have formatted it ? It will be 8,X gig

i know because i can read that file somthing is beeing moved to somewere  i think its the recycler

system protected stuff any way i emptyed all the driver anf formated a 20g  d: driver to ntfs and lost about 64m to the stuff u are talking about..

Of course ! Its kilo bytes, not bytes, doh !

you were somewhere right..

1024 bytes...

so for each kilobyte you loose 24 bytes.. :P

then 1024 kilobytes is 1 megabyte, there you lose 24 kilobytes

So if you have a 200G disk, it has 190G free space..

Its just the factor 10 - 100 - 1000 what people use.. that causes this problem..

I read some new names for that problem..

there will be Kilobytes and Kibibytes..

the binary version..

and gigabyte will be gibibyte

and the yottabytes became yobibytes... 

a yottabyte is 10^24 = 1.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000 bytes

a yobibyte is 2^80 ~  1.208.925.819.614.629.174.706.176 bytes

the difference here is 208.925.819.614.629.174.706.176 bytes,

thats 208 zettabytes 925 exabytes 819 petabytes 614 terrabytes 629 gigabytes 174 mega bytes 706 kilo bytes and 176 bytes

and then actuallys the binairy version ( zebibytes, exbibytes, pebibytes, tebibytes, gibibytes, mebibytes, kibibytes)

I read some new names for that problem..

there will be Kilobytes and Kibibytes..

the binary version..

I don't even get that, and be hounest you don't either. So if we are the guys that need to work with it it's not gon'na happen any day soon :P ;)

I don't even get that, and be hounest you don't either. So if we are the guys that need to work with it it's not gon'na happen any day soon :P ;)

yup..

but who cares, if you have a server with a 200 G disk, and its getting filled for 160G, you will get a notify message, when disk gets to 175 you get a critical.

time to buy a new disk.. and plug it into the server..