WHY KEVIN J ANDERSON???

freeman

why did Brian Herbert choose to collaborate with Kevin J Anderson for the Dune prequels? Isn't that like asking Paul W.S. Anderson (seriously are the two Andersons related cuz they both suck) to do the Dune movie. BTW Paul W.S. Anderson is the guy who gave us "gold" such as AVP, Soldier, Resident Evil...

• 2 weeks later...

Flibble: In my opinion anyone can write fanfiction about Dune. What I find out of place is a claim of continuity from Frank.

freeman: I never heard about it. I met some painters. Some of them are making a product for itself. Another category are those making only market and, although it does something nice in a living room, it shows to someone knowing it a bit more. And of course many are in the middle-ground. I dunno where KJA situates himself, pure entertainer wanting to give his own direction as well.

I meant that novelization of what already is a series of novels seems out of place, not writing fanfics. I was hinting on the fact that KJA's expertise in literary work with sc-fi brands is of different nature than that the task of extending the Duniverse demands.

• 4 weeks later...

What I meant is that they can write fanfiction as anyone else, but if they decide to do this they should not present/promote it as something else. It can be good, it can be bad, but not "what the original author wanted to publish, just as his material".

Arthurian litterature continued with many authors after "de Troyes", but "de Troyed" was "de Troyes" and following ones were themselves. With their own blend overlapping on his world (although imaginable as within Troyes' for a willing reader).

I don't want this thread to get of topic, so I jsut replied to your IM.  Let's jsut say a much better comparison would be Lucas and people who write the Star Wars novels (liek Anderson himself).