Monitor refresh rate

Hey.

My monitor manual says that my monitor can run at 2048*1536@80 hz.

However, Windows only provide 60, 70, 72, 75, 85 and so on as refresh rates. 80 is not included!!!

How can I set it to 80 manually? I want it to run at 80; not 75.

Any tips?

I wonder if this will definately work...

Start Dxdiag.exe from the Start Menu > Run.

Then go to the last tab, More Help. Frin Override, and enter 80.

Let me know if that effects your windows session. I think it does, but am not 110% certain.

Good luck.

It doesn't. If you have a nVidia video card, you can override standard refresh rates using the Advanced section in Display Properties.

But errm, you do know that 80hz only applies to 2048*1536? Anything below that will have different refresh rates (i.e. what Windows is telling you now)

The refresh rate has nothing to do with computer performance.

The refresh rate number is the number of times the phosphor on your CRT monitor gets "shot" at every second.

If the refresh rate drops below a certain value (differs from person to person), you can actually see that the phosphor loses some of its glow before it gets lit again. This is called flicker.

My eyes are sensitive to flicker, so I have problems with monitors refreshed less than 80 or 85 times per second.

And yes, 2048*1536 is obscene, but this is a 21" monitor, so each pixel won't get too small (very small, but just about acceptable).

So, does anyone know a way?

• 2 months later...

there is a way to force or orverride refresh rates,  depending on the api

for standard 2d vga override:

goto display properties>>settings>>advanced>>monitor(at this point make sure you've got you screen drivers/colour profile installed)>>uncheck 'hide modes that are supported'

problem is you can also set  lower or higher rates than your screen can actually take

so use this at your own risk,  use it sensibly

for 3d /dx/ogl  most card vendors have an override function in the driver panel

if not you could always use a third party app like rivatuner(nvidia preferred) or ati tray tools(radeon preferred)

and on a side note...vsync can have a performance artifact in certain cases,

with 2 different side effets..

if the framerate drawn is not above the refresh rate 100% of the time the refresh rate will actually cap the framerate to a certain level in an attempt to interpolate the frames ....

example: you run a fps at around 46.2 framespersecond (novsync)

(vsyncon) it will cap at 30~5/40~5 depending on the maximum/minumum framerate in that scene

basically if you cant get above your monitors refresh rate at all its not worth using vsync

however if you ace the refresh by 20% or so the gpu will start 'queuing' frames too far ahead of your cpu, this will create input lag(in some cases), and or tearing as a result of a new frame being rendered half way through a frame also being rendered at that time

so i enable vsync on emperor as i get over 100 fps at highest settings in game

(1280x960@85,6xaaa,16xaf)  problem is when i play a skirmish or single player...it goes wayyyyyyy too fast...gotta cap the refresh at 60 or nerf the gamespeed to 6~7

lol