All I see is blackness (with my new video card)!

So I bought a brand new computer now, and while it's not top of the line, it's pretty damned decent.  I've only just got the drivers for my video hardware installed, but everything seems to be really dark.

My monitor's setting are at 100% brightness and contrast, and things are still really dark by default.  I've screwed with the ATI Catalyst centre to make Windows bright enought to use, but games are still really dark.

Admittedly, the first game I tried was Thief 3, so it's supposed to be dark, but unless I'm staring at a torch or, you know, the sun, everything is totally black.  the same is true with Deus Ex 2 and the other games I've tried running.

If anyone can help me out, I'd much appreciate it.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+

2.00GHz, 1Gb RAM

ATI Radeon x550, 256MB

Windows XP

Actually, I've tried it with my girlfriend's old monitor and it looks much better.  So it is the monitor that's really dark.  Unfortunately, it shows up dark on her computer too, so she needs her monitor back.  Ergo, I am stuck with no monitor now.  :(

Is there no way to adjust the monitor's brightness and contrast aside from the buttons on the monitor itself?  Right now brightness and contrast are at 100%, so there's no way I can see to make it any brighter.