Computer Power button settings

I installed WinXP on my computer, but now when I go to shut down, windows will shut the computer down, but the computer itself (i.e. the power supply and fan) will stay on.  Pressing the power button does nothing, so I have to unplug it in order to cut the power.  When windows and everything is running and I press the power button, it cuts the power.

I seem to recall there being an option to select what you wanted the power button to do when windows was on (hibernate/standby, shut down, turn off PC, nothing) or off (turn off PC, nothing).  I checked in the power options, but to no avail.  If anyone knows where this option is, please let me know.

Thanks.

You should be able to select the option you want here:

Control Panel -> Power Options -> Advanced Tab -> Power buttons section

Another thing is, if you hold the power button down for a while, the computer will shut down.

It depends on the type of Motherboard you have for one. next to that there is a registry entry called PowerDownAfterShutdown that does miracles form time to time.

hkey_local_machinesoftwaremicrosoftwindowsntcurrentversionwinlogonPowerdownAfterShutdown

data = 0 ( changed this to "1" )

If that doesn't help you probably have a somewhat outdated computer and wrong HAL settings.

New mobos, or is it the powersupplies, that stay running for a while to make sure your hardware doesnt get damamged by not having heat dissipated after shutdown  8)

although I guess you would have spotted that from the beginning if it were that  ::)

That was just my initial thought when I read the first paragraph.