New Dune 2 game

drackbolt

Hi there!  I don't know where else to put this, but I just wanted to announce that I am nearing completion (ETA 2-3 months) on my own remake of Dune 2.  It will be focused primarily on multiplayer and interface enhancements.  A beta download is in the works and should be available in a week or two.  Please check it out!

http://dune2.workpad.com

Thanks,

Jesse

Thanks for looking Andrew, and for the compliments!

I've had the time to accumulate some decent networking experience, so I don't anticipate many difficulties during that phase of development.  This project is definitely something that will be finished.  For anyone else who is interested in tracking its progress, please register and leave messages on the forum at the home page.  Thanks again!

Thanks guys!  And thanks a lot Stefan for bookmarking me.

It is sort of both;  There are some additions, but only what I think was necessary.  There are currently two new specialized units, and the differences between the old ones have been amplified.  Other than this, and a ton of interface/control improvements, it will be a direct remake (more or less).  I haven't looked much at the original code, but I've tried to keep the costs and timing of everything as close to the original as possible.

I'm using Blitz to code the game, so my networking code will probably be UDP-based with manual error checking.  I don't know any other languages very well, but I can talk structural shop about networking code if you ever want to, Stefan.

Structurally they have similarities, but Blitz was designed for 2d/3d game implementation and has a ton of libraries built in.  It also has the capability to use DLLs, so C++ can certainly still be used in some fashion.  Just to give you an idea of its power and ease of use, I've only been at this project for a bit more than two months.  ;D  I must admit that I've put a lot of time into it though (I've logged about 160 hours so far).

At any rate, I'm pretty familiar with basic network transmission and the programming principles behind it, if not the syntax for other individual languages, so I might be able to offer theoretical pointers.

Well said by both Andrew and Stefan.  I agree, it comes down to the quality of coding, and were I not completely obsessive over the Dune 2 game universe, I would find my own exuberance suspect and worry about the final product.  As it is, I like the pace at which I am working.  I was merely trying to point out the simplicity and power of the Blitz language, because I have seen C code, and I thought it comparatively ugly and cluttered.  I can't imagine how long it would have taken me to write in C what I have already written in Blitz.

As for playtesting, the beginnings of that will happen within a week or two...

Hey drackbolt, maybe you'll make some use of these graphical things. I've made them for a Dune 2 clone that never came out. These are some units, structures, etc. that are quite dune2ish yet new. You can use them freely if you wish, just give me credit.

Note: they use the original Dune 2 palette, and are in BMP format.

[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

played around with it. Pretty good solid base. I did have a memory acces violation that crashed the game, but that was after a while. I got around 12000 bucks or something ;) Pretty cool.

To me , i had to get used to the 'right click before you click another unit/structure' thing. But thats personal ofcourse. Create the game you have envisioned! :)

All in all, good solid base. Units do not play sound when i select them? (like "Yes sir", etc).

Ow, and its not a clone ;) But you already know that. Adding fremen ability to be invisible and all that kinds of stuff (plasma gun, etc) is all new. But certainly not less great!

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for checking it out, and the feedback Stefan!

Well technically, a clone is just an unauthorized copy or imitation, so really, any version of Dune 2 besides Westwood's is also a clone.  ;D  Fremen really won't be invisible, they'll just be harder to see when stationary, and things like the plasma gun are only graphical changes.  But hey, whatever you want to call it, as long as you like it I couldn't care less...

Sounds for the acknowledgements are not done yet.  Didn't want them yelling at me during so much testing.  :D

Did you happen to notice what you were doing when you got the error?

Yeah, I know the interface might take a little time with which to get familiar, but I always prefer more clicks needed, rather than more mistakes made.  Did you try out the control groups at all, and/or the formation movement?

Oh, and to MrFlibble:  I actually liked quite a bit of your work, but I hated C&C and Dune 2000 with a passion, so anything that would make Dune 2:TSHA more like those games will be avoided.  Although, I must say I liked your little APC graphic, and some other graphics that appeared to indicate you were heading toward including sandstorms or something to that effect... I'm still toying with some ideas there.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Downloaded your game, thought it was execelent, though it could do with a single player mode, are you going to add that later?  Also having to type in the IP adresse of the host would be a time consuming job: (Arrange game, decide host, find ip, type in ect..) Maybe you could a lobby feature, oh and Whats My IP button, that would really help.

Other than that I would like to play against you!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually, the last entry in the new developer's blog is dated 18th February 2008, but I don't have the account and am too lazy to create one to leave a comment in it.

I think I could do some cosmetic improvements to the lookout of the GUI, to make it more in line with the original game's design. Regarding the game play, it seems very well thought out and balanced. It's a pity the developer doesn't visit us anymore :(

[offtopic]Nice new avatar you've got there, Dunenewt :)[/offtopic]