have some questions

yoyoyo

I download the patch and everything is ok. when i load up the game it still says vs 1.03 how do i change it to 1.06!

and

My friends dad said that you just have to dial someones phonenumber onto the dial thing and it should say answer on my screen and we can play online, is that true? do we need additional stuff to do this?

darn I dont have phone line internet..... the last resort is lan which he can do since he has 3 computers all connected to each other. and I know lan works cause we play mech warrior4 all the time. but how do you get the lan button to appear?

Well, as you would expect in order to play via modem, you need a modem.

I 've no idea how to make the lan button appear, because it doesn't appear in my game either. However, if you 're interested in playing with just 1 person, and you can get your computers close, you can connect serially. All you need is a serial cable, connecting one comp's modem port to the other. Then go to multplayer game => modem/serial => null modem, instead of dial.

Why don't you log in WOL?

Well, as you would expect in order to play via modem, you need a modem.

I 've no idea how to make the lan button appear, because it doesn't appear in my game either. However, if you 're interested in playing with just 1 person, and you can get your computers close, you can connect serially. All you need is a serial cable, connecting one comp's modem port to the other. Then go to multplayer game => modem/serial => null modem, instead of dial.

Why don't you log in WOL?

cause it wont let me it says check your isp... whats an isp and whats wrong with it?

You don't need internet for that connection type. You just dial in directly. No internet, just a phone line. :)

we tried last night, it didnt work, I was on answer the whole time, the only thing it did was dial my real phone....

Yes gryphon is right, you don't need an internet connection, but you do need a modem.

Do you mean that when your friend called and your real phone rang? I think this is what should happen, and after the phone rings a couple of times (you shouldn't pick it up), the game, which is set to answer, will "pick" it up and connect.

Then again it's been ages since I played this way.

Yes gryphon is right, you don't need an internet connection, but you do need a modem.

Do you mean that when your friend called and your real phone rang? I think this is what should happen, and after the phone rings a couple of times (you shouldn't pick it up), the game, which is set to answer, will "pick" it up and connect.

Then again it's been ages since I played this way.

it never picked it up...

it's indeed been ages since I played Dune2k that way to. I know it worked back then without any problems. Just plug in the phone cord in your modem. (think Dune2k need to recognise it) Unplug all your other phones and call the other.

it appears when Dune2k recognises your network adapter and settings.

Which network adapter do you have, and which settings do you have in Dune2k related to your network adapter ?

I have no idea. my friend is the one with the adapters and such. but we know the lan works cause we can play mech warrior and other games via lan...

What protocol does it use ? Maybe you need the older IPX or whatever its called installed.

I am sure gryphon can talk you through checking that IF it does use the IPX protocol.

I remember a thread that gave step by step instructions to get it on.... can you give me step by step instructions?

if I remember correct it does use IPX.

To check and install the IPX protocol in Windows I have made a screeny which has all the windows you need. Hope it's clear ;)

First go to your configurations menu. Select networ connections. You will see all your adapters, right click and get the properties of your primairy network adapter. You get a properties page. Also visible on the screeny. With "this connection uses the following items" you should see the IPX protocol. If not (as with the screeny) select install - protocol and you find the option to select the IPX protocol. :)

See attatched screeny for more info ;)

[attachment archived by Gobalopper]