The climax of Dune

Mahdi

One of the biggest complaints about Dune is that the climax isn't very exciting, seeng as Paul is now almost a god, and Feyd is just, well, human.    Personally, while I agree that that part isn't incredibly exciting, I don't agree that that is the climax.  I beleive that the actual climax is the battle of wills between Shaddam and Fenring, for if Shaddam won, then Paul would ahve died.  What do you think?

I think that there is no real climax in dune. Lets see the Hark atack on dune could have been considered a climax. When Paul took the water of life could have been considered a climax. and the Freman atack on The saudukar could have been a climax. There are many more examples of climaxs

Mahdi, remember that Paul's "godlike" abilities were pretty much shut down for everything that was happening in that place. It was a nexus with so many decisions and alternatives that he couldn't predict what would happen. So that wouldn't really give him an advantage over Feyd in the fight.  ;)

Not true, like I said, most people believe the climax to be the one-on-one combat between Paul and Feyd.

And while Pauls god-like powers may ahve been limited because of all the anvigators, etc. it is still said that the only person who could kill Paul is Fenring before the fight.

The climax of a novel is where the action reached its highest point. In Dune that action climaxed during the attack on Arrakeen. Everything else was resolving that action. Sure, you could argue that there were minor climax points during the conclusion of the book but they all happened during the resolving action.

That's true, but when you say this...

The climax of the novels is the point were the novel could go either way. Did any of you doubt the fact that Paul would truimph over Feyd?

...You're not quite being accurate.  I've never read a book that I could not predict the ending to, at least on a small scale (i.e. fights).  I mean, have you ever been unsure that, say, the Ninja Turtles would kick Shredders metal keester in every episode of the cartoon, but that he would always escape?

But I do agree with you're last post.