Redux 3 Beta Has Arrived

neonext

Is it possible to not make the left tab disappear? Or at least make it move back and forth much faster. I dislike waiting 5 seconds for it to appear.

Yes, I'll add an option for this, but I'll have to recode a lot of stuff :)

Is there a difference between a saudaukar and a soldier?

The saudaukar have machine guns. They probabaly will be more powerful in the next version, because you will need to build an IX to build the structure that trains them, and they are the special unit of Corrino, so they should be as good as sonics and deviators. I'm also I'm going to get

Attached is an image of 3 things.

This was start of a skirmish

1. is the blue/white/black line in the sidebar in the power plant (above adn right of the word structure).

2. I "cheated" when I tried to build a quad slab of concrete and tried to place it on top of a power plant. This resulted in the new structure to be a quad concrete structure (no difference than what it was). Upon dropping this quad concrete slab my power went dead.

EDIT - building a second power plant brought my power back up to normal.

3. This was my first time playing in windowed mode. There probably shouldn't be blue background under the infantry. (unless because i swicthed from full screen to windowed during game).

Can you implement a "H" as in home key to bring the focus back to the base? Especially helpful for when I get lost in the outer edges of map.

How come power plants have rally points? Actually it seems all/most buildings have rally points.

It would be nice to be able to click on the radar screen adn be brought to that area.

Bot sure if cyborg mentioed this clipping problem. I built somebuildings near the sand. they get destoryed and not it looks different where there was a building and wasn't. See screenshot.

[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

3. This was my first time playing in windowed mode. There probably shouldn't be blue background under the infantry. (unless because i swicthed from full screen to windowed during game).

Windowed mode requires a desktop color depth of 16 bit. You probably have yours set to 32 bit. Eventually I want to pop up a message box letting the user know this.

All those other things are good, I will add them

Ok, I tend to edit my posts a lot, at least until the next post by me. Just so you don't read what I write then don't look back again. (my above post was edited)

My harvestor went near enemy territory for spice. I told it to move away and it didn't listen. I find they are not very responsive when I tell them to go to places.

That's all for tonight.

The shift key works for me when selecting ornis, I thought it worked with other units.

Also maybe when I click and drag to select units it could also work for ornithopters, as trying to shift select a bunch of them is very hard work, especially when they are hovering over my buildings, as I then accidentally select a building which screws it all up.

And the selection of infantry when they are packed together doesn't work very well, it keep selecting the same unit.

Also maybe when I click and drag to select units it could also work for ornithopters, as trying to shift select a bunch of them is very hard work

with the amount of aircraft running around sometimes, it would be annoying if you're trying to select a group of units and an air unit flies onto the screen at the last second and gets selected too, so i decided to keep aircraft selection seperate and add hot keys to make things easier.

the 'b' key selects all aircraft with air-to-ground weapons (in this case all ornithopters)

Framerate is still pretty slow when it gets going, at around 7-15 FPS.

Due to the overheating (or whatever it is) problem with my main development system, I have been testing the new version on a much slower machine - a P3 running at 533

Even after switching out the TNT2 with my gForce3, i would still get an average of 15 FPS when more than a few objects were on the screen, especially infantry. The one good thing about losing my development machine is that it has allowed me to test changes to increase the FPS for people with slower machines. Without making any noticable cutbacks and without optimizing the code using profiling, I have managed to increase my framerate by an average of 30 FPS. Andrew, please let me know your framerate average when you try the new version

There may be some repeats below, or stuff that has been fixed. Hope to see a new version soon :).

I chose to be atreides in the campaign. I attack the top left guy, then after I had won the match it automatically went into another battle (I figured someone was attacking me) but it was a battle between me and the fremen, even though I didn

I chose to be atreides in the campaign. I attack the top left guy, then after I had won the match it automatically went into another battle (I figured someone was attacking me) but it was a battle between me and the fremen, even though I didn

I'm not sure what this is. Is it the AI trying to select their territory to attack from or attack to, or both?

I don't believe it never selected its own territory, it was just selecting a bunch of enemy territories (at least 2 enemies) until a match started.

As you noticed, the plus sign thing (which is supposed to animate a little and then disappear)

I never noticed it animate, unless I'm not lookig hard enough. Just looks like a +.

Are those infantry icons on the territory supposed to mean the # of airdops available when attacking/attacked?

What do the # of tanks represent?

Also, I do not remember the AI building ornis at all. Which would definitely add to gameplay as I would be forced to build a missle turret for defense.

When I'm playing at the very first I send my troops as close as possible to the enemy base without coming in contact with infantry coming my way. I tell them to stop and wait for enemy infantry to come and my guys usually just shoot down their guys. I'm also in the habit of building a heavy factory fast and sending out a couple rockets. Pretty easy.

Biggest threat I get is ordos missle tanks that convert my tanks :)

Are those infantry icons on the territory supposed to mean the # of airdops available when attacking/attacked?

What do the # of tanks represent?

Yes, they represent the total # of reinforcements sent into battle. In campaign mode, the mini score window at the top right should tell you the amount of reinforcements still left to be dropped off, which at the beginning of a battle should be the same as the what was in the territories on the map. Supposedly you should be able to add vehicle reinforcement objects, which will draw from the same pool. The other category (the other number on the score besides troop reinforcements) is air reinforcements. You can change the infantry icons to be aircraft icons to have certain regions produce aircraft reinforcements, but I figured it would be best if the dune 2 mod just kept to troops

Also, I do not remember the AI building ornis at all. Which would definitely add to gameplay as I would be forced to build a missle turret for defense.

In the next version, all 4 sides build ornis, which have been much improved in the way they operate. Ornis now automatically start out in a defensive manner, staying near their base, until ordered otherwise. Be careful of the AI players sending a whole pack of them at once to destroy your construction yard!

When I'm playing at the very first I send my troops as close as possible to the enemy base without coming in contact with infantry coming my way. I tell them to stop and wait for enemy infantry to come and my guys usually just shoot down their guys. I'm also in the habit of building a heavy factory fast and sending out a couple rockets. Pretty easy.

Biggest threat I get is ordos missle tanks that convert my tanks :)

The AI players now get their core base up and running much quicker, including building base defenses sooner. As for the easy killing of the enemy troops, I've noticed too that you can mow down enemy troops easily that way. It seems to me that this only happens when they are going to their rally point and your description of it would also indicate this.

I have uploaded the latest update to the official Redux site

http://redux.dune2k.com/

Please give it a try. I will catch up with the bug listing eventually, so no hurry is necessary with the bug reports, but please let me know if there are any problems getting the update to work (or anything else critical that would require repackaging it)

I think the vast number of bug reports from the last couple versions has helped the game development in a tremendous way. I tried really hard to fix as many things as possible, and I am really proud of the current state of the game. Special thanks to the dune 2 community for your support, especially Cyborg and Andrew

REVISIONS SINCE BETA 3

- Fixed exploit where you could build a free construction yard by clicking around the text provided by a radar outpost

- Fixed exploit where you could build a free construction yard by deselecting your structure while placing one you just built

- Structures no longer show what they are building as being more than 100 percent complete (andrew)

- The map no longer scrolls when the cursor is over the minimap

- Scrollspeeds have been reduced

- Fixed tracking (screen-centering) of selected aircraft to adjust for presence of sidebar

- AI players now conduct air strikes with their aircraft, and are likely to choose construction yards, defensive structures, and offensive structures for their targets

- You can now assign vehicles, infantry, and aircraft to unit groups by pressing CTRL-#, press the # of the group to select them

- Fixed problems with aircraft targeting infantry

- You can no longer place structures outside the map limits (andrew)

- Infantry and units now fire over walls that are on their own territory

- Guard mode has been added for aircraft, and it switched on by default when the aircraft is first constructed (andrew)

- Limited the amount of colors that are changed for drawing of units and structures, increasing the framerate by a large margin.

- Fixed drawing of sidebar icons for units and structures. Both now have proper color conversion, and structures no longer show black backgrounds.

- Fixed problem with selecting indivual infantry occupying the same cell (andrew)

- Infantry are no longer color blended, resulting in a large improvement in FPS

- The "Fastest" gamespeed setting is invalid and has been removed

- Added unit explosion sound

- You can now only select aircraft after they have finished taking off

- Fixed drawing of craters

- Commands for selected units now show up on the sidebar, and are usable there

- Fixed bug where death hands wouldn't show up in windowed mode

- Added scout action for units

- Added destruct action for units

- Fixed bug which allowed destroyed structures to be repaired

- Added another weapon slot for turrets to have their own cannon weapon, to better balance their firepower (cyborg)

- Fixed guidance problem for shots fired by structures, and changed stats for turret rocket weapon (?)

- Death hands now use their accuracy rating. 5 percentage points equals about one tile of possible difference. Also lowered thier splash value by 1, slightly limiting the spread of their devestation (cyborg)

- Changed stats for power plant. They now produce 75 power instead of 200. This is an editable value in structs.txt

- Fixed radar inaccuracies (andrew)

- Removed restriction on when you can box select

- Fixed bug where placing a structure would give move orders when units are also selected

- Fixed cursors drawing when you have a structure and units seleted at the same time

- Added sliding sidebar option to game.txt which allows you to lock the sidebar (andrew)

- Changed rally point assignment to 'y' key. Clicking a location with units selected in addition to your structure will no longer place a rally point there, unless you press 'y', in which case it will let you place the rally point and then allow you to continue to give orders to your units (andrew)

- Allies no longer can squish each others' infantry, attack cursor no longer shown over allied units/structures, and you are no longer allowed to give orders to attack your allies (andrew)

- Weapons with "Nuclear" property (death hands) now also destroy your own units/structures (andrew)

- Fixed placing structure over a structure bug (andrew)

- Fixed single concrete slab pricing (andrew)

- Disabled "wormsign" special unit announcement (andrew)

- Fixed bug where you couldn't see rally points beyond a screen length of its structure (andrew)

- Messages are now cleared at the start of a game (andrew)

- Fixed messed up graphics in power plant display (andrew)

- Added ability to press Home key to return to base (andrew)

- Rally points now only show for unit producing structures (andrew)

- Clicking on the radar (at top right of screen) centers the screen on that part of the map (andrew)

- Patrol mode has been added for vehicles

- Guard mode has been added for vehicles (cyborg)

- Infantry's turning speed is now based on a low constant value instead of the infantry's speed (cyborg)

- Fixed unit deaths by nuclear hits (andrew)

- Fixed unit scoring tallies by slash damage deaths

- Fixed bug that showed construction options for certain structures that dont build anything (andrew)

- Battles no longer load for fights that are automatic wins (andrew)

- Normalized carryall graphics (cyborg)

- Fixed problem with sandworms trying to attack structures (cyborg)

- Fixed problems with sandworms killing themselves when attacking (andrew)

- Clicking on cities now loads the map for the region it's in (andrew)

- You can now cancel construction of aircraft, structures, vehicles, and infantry (andrew)

- Radar viewing now requires a structure with the radar action (andrew)

- Weapons with "Nuclear" property can now target units, infantry, and structures(andrew)

- Shroud is now drawn on radar minimaps

- There are now limits to how far off the map you can scroll

- Many small misc fixes and changes

New bug list:

- When building just about anything (using the left hand menu), you can click on an empty item slot in the menu, and deploy a building that was not what you were building. Like, I was building a refinery, and clicked an empty menu item, and placed a construction yard. I was even able to place the construction yard when the refinery was not even completely built.

- The enemy is very slow developing (skirmish). When I attack with siege tanks, I meet four to five infantry units, and perhaps a quad if they have even come that far. The enemy is, however, very good at warfare when they have built their heavy factory.

- That clipping problem still persists.

- You can now assign vehicles, infantry, and aircraft to unit groups by pressing CTRL-#, press the # of the group to select them

Sweet.

Sounds really good. Will have to try it sometime this week.

-The enemy is, however, very good at warfare when they have built their heavy factory.

Yah, they were never really good without a heavy factory. But who would be? Or do you mean once they have built a heavy factory they are able and do build other sturctures and units (or they are able to produce lots of heavy factory units?).

Is there a map editor/creater? I would like to see a map with a spice field behind the base. This could be good if human was against several AI. Then human would not have to worry about spice harvestor as much, at least until base is built up and that spice field is gone.

Is there a map editor/creater? I would like to see a map with a spice field behind the base. This could be good if human was against several AI. Then human would not have to worry about spice harvestor as much, at least until base is built up and that spice field is gone.

The map files are editable text files, but so far there is no way to place spice fields in specific places on the map, nor is there any way to make the spice fields disappear from harvesting (or explosions). If you are willing to create new maps, I might make a quick update with these features, along with fixing the exploit that cyborg pointed out. If I have time, I will build a map editor into the game, but for now the text files will do. Let me know if you have any questions about their contents

Quick Question. Are you going to compile a full 1.0 version so people don't have to download 3(4?) files to play the latest version?

Would be helpful for new people playing/testing and the filesize might be overall smaller (no idea).

I started up the program, went into campaign, decided i didnt want to play campaign, so i started a scenario. Onbce the scenario started I dont have a base. There is shrowd over the entire map. All I did in the settings for skirmish was set two teams.

Hmm, restarted the program and everything seems fine.

Hmm, I tried a few campaigns as Ordos, the first battle is always against atreides (they attack me), but the game always crashes as soon as I take a peek at what the AI is doing (ie. I scroll to the top left corner of the map :) ) and then scroll back to my base. Also, One time I did not check the AI for a while, and when I did check, they still hadn't done a thing! They got reinforcements, but still only a construction yard. Ofcourse, it crashed again as soon as I scrolled back to my base...

i will be repackaging the whole thing soon, but there are a couple of things i need to add to the code to get the other mod up to par, and i need to fix a couple of the more serious problems with the latest release. once this minor update is finished i will release it along with the whole game as one file

Went into a skirmish, and I can not change any of the rally points. :(

An example is my infantry rally point is under the refinery and now newly built infantry go to the rally point on top of the refinery. see image

Edge of the screen does not draw correctly, as the shrowd and other stuff doesn't show up correctly. see image.

Radar is still quite innaccurate. :( although better than before :D

Unable to scroll when my mouse is within the radar area.

At the first of the match I send out troopers to scout the map. One of my troopers either walked onto an enemy structure, or the sturcture was built and did not kill my infantry.

In image1 you can see 3 missle tanks and 2 missles. 3 of my tanks shot, but when the first shot killed the enemy the other two missles went flying far away until they were off the map.

The AI rarely seems to repair any of their buildings, especially thier construction yard after my infantry I send to scout nearly destory it.

Ornis do not seem to attack the enemy that much on their own after they come from the high tech factory.

When I have all of my orni selected (b command) I can not use the defend/attack/move functions on the sidebar.

I'm guessing structures built does not work for AI after a match is complete? Same for resources for all sides?

After My match was complete, I clicked done, then single player, and skirmish but it froze when I clicked on skirmish.

Went into a skirmish, and I can not change any of the rally points. :(

- Changed rally point assignment to 'y' key. Clicking a location with units selected in addition to your structure will no longer place a rally point there, unless you press 'y', in which case it will let you place the rally point and then allow you to continue to give orders to your units (andrew)

Unable to scroll when my mouse is within the radar area.

This is intentional, because with the new feature of being able to click on the radar to go to that location, it is quite annoying that the map scrolls when you're trying to click somewhere on the top right of it. In the future i will put a margin in between the map and the edges, so that you can click where you need to and still be able to scroll up/right

The AI rarely seems to repair any of their buildings, especially thier construction yard after my infantry I send to scout nearly destory it.

They do not yet have the ability to repair - I need to put this back on the to-do list

Ornis do not seem to attack the enemy that much on their own after they come from the high tech factory.

This will be fixed soon

I'm guessing structures built does not work for AI after a match is complete? Same for resources for all sides?

Yup I still need to fix this

I told my rocket turret to attack an enemy, but it continued to attack a worm.

Actually, the attack orders do not work at all for my turrets. I am selecting a turret and pressing "A" then selecting the target. But they do not attack them.

Sometimes when a Orni gets hit and is crashing it turns into the Carryall graphics.

EDIT - Actually, is seems that when a missile turret hits the orni, the orni seems to keep going while a carryall crashes separately. See ornicarrryall.bmp

My missile turrets again targeted the same orni, and the carryall bug again happened but the orni went off the screen.

I'm guessing that when you increase the difficulty settings the AI firepower is greater and so is their hit points?

Enemy harvester is inside a wall.

Just got OWNED playing free for all skirmish against 4 AI on Hardest. They killed my spice harvesters. :(

I'm glad to report that my frame rate is always above 20fps. Usually 24. @ 1024*768 resolution.

Started another game and the closest spice patch was right next to (literally) an enemy base. I lost that pretty quick. Hmm, on hardest settings, a trike destroyed my quad. :D

Once, the worm was eating my units >:( and after he had ate a bunch of them an the enemy was shooting at it, the worm just kept resurfacing (as in to eat a unit) every 5 seconds in the same spot where there was no unit.

I was building a missile tank and it got to 100% and would not finish or come out of the building. I had no other vehicles. Could it be because of the structure location? see image missiletank. Same thing is happening to my quads in the light factory. They will not finish.

EDIT -Actually this seems to be a problem of when I have my rally point within one square of the building they are coming out of.

Just a thought. Maybe if you place a building on a concrete slab, maybe it should be harder to destroy (or at least give it more hit points). This would be an incentive to build slabs.

I still got the red squares while trying to place a starport. See redsquares.bmp image. Actually, I can not place any building there.

My ornis do not seem to guard. I tell them to guard a location and there are enemy near there but they do not attack them.

One of my devastators roofs seems a bit weird. see image. Actually, a lot of them do it at certain times.

My devastators do not automatically attack the enemy, even when the enemy are attacking them. They just sit there until I tell them to attack someone.

When I click on the death hand and then click on the radar it shoots the death hand on the map where I clicked on radar. err. What I mean is I wanted to click on radar for enemy base, but instead it shot it near my base.

After I place a rally point, And I do not right click, I can not scroll anywheres. I need to right click to deselect the building in order to scroll.

When using the arrow buttons on keyboard, it scrolls extremely slow.

For some reason my vehicles can go through enemy walls. I tried to tell my vehicles to attack the wall (by left clicking on the wall) but I got the green circle. And they proceeded to go through the wall, and now they are going through it. Infantry wen through it as well. They seem to not go through some walls though. See image.

I'm guessing that when you increase the difficulty settings the AI firepower is greater and so is their hit points?

So far the only advantages the AI's get are the amount of credits they receive from harvesting

Started another game and the closest spice patch was right next to (literally) an enemy base. I lost that pretty quick.

I have seen this too and it is annoying. I will try to get the routine to force placement of at least one field within a certain range of each player's base

Once, the worm was eating my units >:( and after he had ate a bunch of them an the enemy was shooting at it, the worm just kept resurfacing (as in to eat a unit) every 5 seconds in the same spot where there was no unit.

I can't figure this one out, because it rarely happens. Kinda funny though ;D

Another quality bug report Andrew! Keep up the good work :)