Redux 3 Beta Has Arrived

neonext

i doubt it, because you said beta 1 worked fine, then when beta 2 came out you had the low fps problem with both. it's still possible, but it seems like there is some kind of incompatiblity with your system.

There were lots of last minute changes on this one, so I'm not entirely sure what to expect, but by the time I packaged the new update my test games were nearly flawless and a lot of fun. I'm having a tough time beating the AI players on average difficulty ;D

Please visit the Redux site to download the update.

http://redux.dune2k.com/index.html

Please help find bugs, missing features, or anything else I might have missed. Your help is really appreciated. Visit top of this thread for current bug and missing feature list.

And remember, if you want to run this in windowed mode, your desktop must be set to 16 bit color!

REVISIONS SINCE BETA 2

- Fixed bug which caused the default new resolution type to be lost, causing saved settings to be written incorrectly every time the program starts

- Fixed bug which caused structures to be destroyed with a single shot from weapons that have splash damage

- Fixed problem with structures not being destroyed properly (leaving fires and playing explosions sound)

- Restored display of side's symbol at bottom left. The side bar now slides under this artwork in addition to the credits display

- Changed all infantry producing structures to only build one soldier at a time instead of nine

- Infantry now face the correct way when attacking structures

- Infantry now fire towards structures correctly (angle of shots)

- Menu music now plays after returning to the menu from the game results screen

- Added new trail/explosion type and weapon property "Instantanious" which creates instant trail to target with new trail type. This is needed for laser weapons and for now can only be used by structures

- Changed message sound to load from sounds.txt like the rest of the sound effects

- Fixed problem with sounds being lost after switching screen mode with alt-enter

- Deleted unnecessary lines in sounds.txt for Dune 2 mod, which caused half of the sounds to load up wrong for all sides except 1 (Atreides)

- Fixed problem which allowed weapons that don't make explosions to make fires when hitting very damaged structures

- Infantry now properly face vehicles when attacking

- Fixed targeting bug which sometimes caused shots to immediately disappear after being fired

- Added buttons to quickly change all players' starting credits and resources

- Added another weapon slot to the game

- Fixed the usage of anti-aircraft weapons by structures

- Fixed misc targetting issues with defensive structures and slowed rate of fire

- Fixed usage of weapons that carry both the Anti-Air property and the Anti-Ground property

- Infantry now properly face other infantry when attacking them

- Fixed some drawing of tank tracks connections

- Fixed drawing of structures on the screen edges (clipping)

- Fixed drawing problem which would result in little colored boxes at the top right of large turreted units

- Fixed drawing of units on screen edges

- Fixed drawing of overlays (walls and trees) on screen edges

- Fixed loading of infantry weapons from spawn points

- Removed unit spawning from infantry spawn points and added seperate unit spawn object

- Objects (like spawn points) now clear shroud at the beginning of a game

- Shrouded vehicles and infantry now become visible when attacking the player

- AI players now search for infantry and units with their infantry

- Infantry that start out on a map (loading from a r3m file) now start out with correct weapon stats

- Infantry now use their attack animations

- Fixed drawing of different types of infantry (you can now use all 4 sets from infantry.bmp)

- Refineries now convert resources to credits five times faster

- Fixed trajectories for weapons that have "Arcing" property

- Sound effects that are located beneath shroud no longer play, except for aircraft

- Added loading percentage bar to show loading progress for starting the program and for starting a game

- Changed credit display to have 5 number spaces instead of 4

- Fixed drawing of shroud on eastern and southern edges of the map

- You can now only place structures on designated areas of terrain

- Structure requirements now work

- Units that have a weapon with the "Capturing" property (Deviators) now stop attacking units they have already converted

- Many smal misc bug fixes

Went into campiagn, chsoe the purple side (bottom right corner), then the harkonnens attacked the fremen, so it went into the battle and then exited the battle in under 30 seconds (right after they droppped off 3 things of infantry) Then it was my turn after the ordos or someone conquered a parcel of land. I selected my bottom right land and told it to attack the one above it (by selecting attack and then clicking on infantry icon) which I thn got an error "unable to load map" and redux closed.

My siege tank just ran over an enemy devastator, didnt destory it, just ran on top of it.

Still can not cancel a building or unit construction? :(

I lost my very first battle. :) hehehhe. Had cash flow problems.

The framrate drops by 20 when I am over a base or there are lots of units.

Early in another game two of my harvestors seemed to have gotten stuck next to each other. They seemed to have gotten unstuck after I built a third refinery.

I also got radar before I had even built a radar building.

I dont see any units to buy at the starport. I am house Corrino.

Death hand is pretty cool, although I was unable to target a building as it would just select the building while still haveing the target cursor. So i targeted an empty piece of land next to the building. pretty accurate.

The radar seems pretty inacurate and the enemy seems to attack its own walls at teh beginning of the game withthe infantry.

Great game. :)

Went into campiagn... I selected my bottom right land and told it to attack the one above it (by selecting attack and then clicking on infantry icon) which I thn got an error "unable to load map" and redux closed.

oops. it's trying to load the city map instead of the region map, which is a feature that was never finished. right now cities are only there there to provide troops every turn, and automatically become conquered when you capture the region they are in. i should have changed it so you cant click on them anymore, but for now i guess you should just avoid clicking on them.

thanks for the bug report and thanks for playing

I've played a skirmish game:

* Carryalls have warped graphics.

* My units(built only siege tanks) automatically attack the ground sometimes, so I have to move them to a spot where they can focus on enemies rather than shooting into the sand.

* The rocket turret performs very poorly. Its missiles are seeking their targets at all. Perhaps they should travel faster?

* The repair centre doesn't work the way it should.

* I can't repair my buildings.

* The tiles are qrongly clipped at the right side of the screen. Perhaps draw a border over that part?

* I still can't get the campaign to work without getting errors like "can't load map."

Those were the bugs I discovered.

* I can't repair my buildings.

When you have a building selected, click on the wrench icon below where you would select the units/buildings. That will repair your building and the building should have a wrench type icon on the building itself when repairing.

At least it worked for me.

i recon the new BETA 3 is not out yet?

http://redux.dune2k.com/downloads.html

Click on Redux 3 v.b3 Update

EDIT - The carryall does seem a bit oversized, and I have not seen it pick up a single harvestor. Do I have to tell it to do something?

Started one game, built two concrete 4*4 slabs, placed them, then tried to build a third but when I selected the icon nothing happened.

Also, why when an AI player attacks the fremen (sand coloured territory) they automatically win? It goes into teh battle scene then says they will be victorious. But when they attack any other AI it is autocalculated with no battle scene.

Framerate is still pretty slow when it gets going, at around 7-15 FPS.

Also when I build a repair station and then tell it to build a construction yard it starts and stays at 0%. It never seems to change.

The first time I played, after I built about 3 buildings I was given a construction yard somehow and either I placed it in my base or it automatically was (via carryall drop?), so I had two construction yards (which were able to build their own buildings (cool!)). But I have not seen this since. Pretty sure I was Corrino.

The worm seems to appear at the beginning of a mission, but then disapears within minutes and never returns in the battle.

* Carryalls have warped graphics.

I had to convert the graphics to all the additional angles, and I may have changed the perspective of the sprites. I'll see what I can do to make them more normal looking

* My units(built only siege tanks) automatically attack the ground sometimes, so I have to move them to a spot where they can focus on enemies rather than shooting into the sand.

They are probably attacking the sand worm, which has a habit of attacking one thing and then just sitting in the same place the rest of the time. Definitally at least one bug here

* The rocket turret performs very poorly. Its missiles are seeking their targets at all. Perhaps they should travel faster?

Hmm, they are supposed to be guided for both air units and land units. I remember it working fine for air units, does it not for land ones?

* The repair centre doesn't work the way it should.

Yes it is a bit different, it repairs units near it instead of one unit at a time inside. This simplifies things a lot, and I noticed it helps the AI players if they place it in the path the harvesters take. If I have the time in the future I can add an option to have it repair the normal way

* The tiles are wrongly clipped at the right side of the screen. Perhaps draw a border over that part?

I tried to fix the clipping for almost everything and I probably missed some things. Are you refering to the concrete slabs?

* I still can't get the campaign to work without getting errors like "can't load map."

I double checked camp1.txt to make sure all the map files existed. They all should be trying to load map1.r3m, which is the case with what was released. Are you clicking on the actual regions and not on the cities?

Those were the bugs I discovered.

Thanks Cyborg :)

EDIT - The carryall does seem a bit oversized, and I have not seen it pick up a single harvestor. Do I have to tell it to do something?

So far they can only drop things off (in campaign mode from spawn points placed on the map in the r3m file)

I probably should have disallowed players to build them :-[

Also, why when an AI player attacks the fremen (sand coloured territory) they automatically win? It goes into the battle scene then says they will be victorious. But when they attack any other AI it is autocalculated with no battle scene.

it's just an unowned territory. first player to attack gets it without a fight. you're right, it should be automatic like the others, especially because no battle even takes place.

Framerate is still pretty slow when it gets going, at around 7-15 FPS.

Specs?

Also when I build a repair station and then tell it to build a construction yard it starts and stays at 0%. It never seems to change.

Repair stations can build construction yards? ??? Oops..

The first time I played, after I built about 3 buildings I was given a construction yard somehow and either I placed it in my base or it automatically was (via carryall drop?), so I had two construction yards (which were able to build their own buildings (cool!)). But I have not seen this since. Pretty sure I was Corrino.

Was this in campaign mode?

The worm seems to appear at the beginning of a mission, but then disapears within minutes and never returns in the battle.

It should still be there. Usually it eats a unit and sits there until everyone kills it. :-

Was this in campaign mode?

I believe so.

Attached is my dxdiag. Although I usually have some programs running when I play it. Which doesn't help the framrate.

I tried with a minimal amount of programs opened, adn I'm still getting 9-15 FPS where there are buildings/units. Although when the battle started it was around 60.

Also when the death hand was targeted at enemy units, the quads simply disapeared when destroyed, but the infantry person died like it should.

I think the power system is wrong as well. I had power with only one windtrap after building 5 refineries, an outpost, palace, academy, repair bay, light factory, heavy factory, IX, high tech and starport. I lost my power just as I built a rocket turret. Then my radar went all fuzzy because of the power shortage. Why didn't my power go out before building a rocket tower?

Or is this so you don't have to build 10 power plants to suppor the base?

Hmm, actually it is around 20 FPS in small battles.

[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

I found it too easy to just defend your base and use death hand missiles to attack the enemy.

Even one such missile can destroy half the enemy base if it hits at the right spot...

And with three palaces, I'm virtually unbeatable by the AI.

* The cannon turret is too damn good.

The enemy cannon turret crushed my four siege tanks before they could even damage it (noticeably), when they were rushing in to destroy it.

* The clipping error is on the screen edges. You see that only the bottom layer of graphics is drawn. Spice, units and buildings are clipped away.

* Infantry would be much better if they responded more quickly to my orders. I don't like to wait ten seconds before the whole platoon has started moving.

* Do I need wind traps at all?

* When trying to enter "Mods" from the menu, the game crashes.

* The loading bar doesn't move until the game has done all the loading. Thus it's pointless.

That's my list number two.  :)

I went into skirmish (or whatever its called) and I noticed that my ornithopters seemed to dissapear on me. I built one, then after I was doing some other stuff adn went to check up on it, it wasnt anywhere near the high tech factory and I never found it. I then built another orni, but this time I watched it being built. It came out fine, flew around, so I told it to attack a harvester. it did that, but i went off to another part of the map, and when I got back at a later time to where the orni and the non moving hvarester, it wasnt there! Does the orni automatically attack the enemy? What can shoot at the ornithopter?

I found it too easy to just defend your base and use death hand missiles to attack the enemy.

Even one such missile can destroy half the enemy base if it hits at the right spot...

And with three palaces, I'm virtually unbeatable by the AI.

Confirmed, although I still lost the battle as I had not gotten to one of the enemy bases (covered in shroud, cant use death hand), I ran out of money and lost, but not before death missling two enemy bases to obliveration.

I had several missle turrets, although they did not protect me against the enemy as I had hoped.

Is it just me or do the missle troopers have a very long missle range?

i had coded air units to stick around the structure that builds them, but that doesn't seem to work anymore. they will automatically fly around the map attacking anything they can find. you're right, at the very least the player's air units should stick to the base until ordered otherwise. i'll add this to the list

the only things in the game so far with anti-air weapons are the rocket turrets

as for the death hands, i suppose the splash value can be lowered so that area of its explosion is less, and it would probably be wise to code it so the accuracy rating decides how far off target the shots could be (like all the other weapons), hopefully acheiving the same affect as the original dune 2

Good idea.

But was it planned that the rocket turret should suck? They are not good.

Something that annoys me sometimes is that if I send my tanks to protect my harvester, they have a tendency to follow enemies, even though I haven't ordered them to do so. This results in them getting closer and closer to the enemy base! I once found them just outside the base. However, I had so many tanks that I could just march in and lay the whole thing waste.  8)

Anyway, can you fix it so that the tanks don't follow enemy units without being told to do so?

All below was observed in one skirmish.

Found out how I got teh two construction yards. I was building a palace and I tried to place it on my starport (by clicking once when I had the palace selected to place and by clicking on the starport once). This resulted in my building (the white area before you place a building) to become 2X2 instead of 3X3. I placed this 2X2 structure near starport and it turned out to be a construction yard.

I then went back to my original construction yard and I was still able to place the original palace I had built.

Trying the cannon thing, and they are very good defense. only thing that can get them are smart missle tanks, which doesn't occur often.

My sonic tank seems to have a fire range (the beams length) of about 1/3 the map distance. Is this correct?

Why are the single conrete slabs priced the same as quad slabs? $100 in skirmish.

Just got a question I was about to ask answered. Q: Does the enemy use palaces(death hand)?

Just saw the corrino launch an attack of it against what appeared to be enemy buildings. Now I'm scared and will hvae to destory him.

Corrino used their death missle on my spice factories! coool.

I just used my death hand on their palace and repair bay. :)

I also targeted about 10 spice harvestors, barracks and missle turret in one shot. Only killed maybe 2 spice harvestors, and the buildings.

OMG corrino used a death hand missle and took out half my base (literally). :O

Sometimes I get a red scare when placing a building on a concrete slab that has no units on it and it wont let me place the building there.

When I have multiple ornithopters selected (hheheheh) they can target units, but they don't seem  to be able to target buildings.

One turret missle is enough to take down an ornithopter. Can it be made to two shots? as my ornis sometimes go on their own way and get destroyed before I can tell them to get back.

Not sure if it is just me, but it always seems to go to 101% when buildings are building. My soldier went to 102% (I have the building surrounded with buildings so they can not be released)

I have a heavy factory, and am building sonic tanks. They have stopped building. It is at 100%, and there is only one building attached to the right side. Odd, it seems to have finished 5 minutes later. I have about 30000 credits, so that wasnt the problem. EDIT - Probably the unit cap.

The enemy seems to build a lot of carryalls. Since they serve no purpose, can you remove them or make them produce less? This should make the AI harder.

My own death hand missle does no damage to any of my buildings or units (at least in several tries near my base, although near an enemy base I think it did damage). This means that in a battle I could send a death missle into the middle of it only wiping out the enemy and not hurting any of my units. Same goes for sonic tank. They do not hurt any of my own buildings/units (which is good as not an annoyance like Dune2).

Is it possible to get health bars on the units?

It doesn't count the number of buildings built by the enemy at the game summary.

Any way to take screenshots?

EDIT Below:

New skirmish game. I did a me and two computer AI against one AI

I am building ornithopters and they go straight to the enemy base and get shot down by the enemy turret. A complete waste.

The speaker keeps telling me "Wormsign" over and over again.

Allies seem to be able to run over each others infantry.

I can use my ornis to attack allied vehicles/soldiers by having my ornis selected and then targeting the allied unit.

Seems that the red team has declared war against me and the green team. And a green tri just went off the map and is still going in the right -> direction.

I did the ol' place building on building then place building, this time I placed a silo on top of a high tech factory and I got an IX building.

The mission doesn't seem to want to end. We killed the purple side. I'm guessing I now have to kill the other two. But that will take too long as we are not formally enemies. We are only enemies when I tell my units to attack theirs, then they will attack those units.

The game did not finish after I destroyed all enemy units/structures, except for carryalls and walls.

Another funny thing I noticed is that the AI often sends a platoon of infantry after its own harvester.

They follow it, and constantly shoot at it if they're close enough...

That's when I noticed that friendly fire is off, at least for your own team.

When will startports work?

A couple of issues/annoyances I've noticed.

The whole thing with the tab on the left side of the screen slowly disappearing/reappearing is very annoying, especially when right clicking to deselect units. Also when I have units selected, then I click on a building to place and place it the units go to where I placed the building (because it was as if I told them to go there because they were still selected)

Is it possible to not make the left tab disappear? Or at least make it move back and forth much faster. I dislike waiting 5 seconds for it to appear.

Being able to cancel a building or unit would be nice :P

EDIT:

Never mind on that last comment, I've now read the first post of this thread that gives details about the progress of bug/missing feature list. I've probably repeated some, but oh well. Don't want to miss any.

About the power plants. I would not make them much weaker, as there is not a whole lot of room to build buildings. Currently, I only need to build 2 power plants possibly 3 at most. I'm guessing that no more than 4-5 would be a good amount.

I don't seem able to tell my turrets to attack enemy units I want it to (like instead of attacking the worm, attack the enemy :P).

When I have a building that produces units, the rally point does not show the green thing the farther away from my base I go (although I think the rally point works).

Is there a difference between a saudaukar and a soldier?

I played a skirmish game, I won it, Then I went to play another skirmish game and when it started it still had the "Atriedes will soon be victorious" scrolling up the screen.

On the power plants what is the small blue/white/black bar? It never changes.

Sometimes when I have units selected and I tell them to move/attack, the green/red cirle does not appear, just the "plus" cursor

I just built a refinery, tried to place it on top of a power plant and I got a construction yard. :D

I lost power after building a refinery and a new ("cheat") construction yard. Construction yards should not require power right (at least not much?)?

My sonic tank seems to have a fire range (the beams length) of about 1/3 the map distance. Is this correct?

The amount of time that the blurr effect lasts is hard coded, but the distance that the beam travels across the map (whether hitting the target or not) is the "Moves" value for the sonic weapon in vehicles.txt

I always distribute new copies of all the txt files with more balanced stats, so every bit of this helps. It would be really great it someone would take the time to fine tune the values in the text files so i could focus on bug fixing and important missing features. I am pretty much under a deadline to get this done, so balancing issues get a lower priority

Why are the single conrete slabs priced the same as quad slabs? $100 in skirmish.

;D

Sometimes I get a red scare when placing a building on a concrete slab that has no units on it and it wont let me place the building there.

What side were you and when during the game does this happen (like early game, late game, all the time, etc)?

When I have multiple ornithopters selected (hheheheh) they can target units, but they don't seem

Another funny thing I noticed is that the AI often sends a platoon of infantry after its own harvester.

They follow it, and constantly shoot at it if they're close enough...

I've noticed the AI attacking themselves like that before, but I'm still unable to intentionally repeat this bug, which makes it very hard to fix.

[quote

That's when I noticed that friendly fire is off, at least for your own team.

Perhaps i should add on option to turn it on or off...

When will startports work?

They might make it in the next update if I have enough time

About getting the ornis to attack buildings, I was able to get them to attack buildings after writing that.

I dont think team victories are coded at all. Have you had this problem in games where u are without an ally?

I havn't had that problem when I was playing free for all or campaign.

The red square (not letting me place building where I want) happened at first in the middle of a skirmish game (my base was 1/2 built), so I ignored that area of the base, but when I went back (as I ran out of space for buildings) I had the same problem. I was atreides. The location was top left of screen. below my construction yard and a power plant or some other small building.

is the "Moves" value for the sonic weapon in vehicles.txt

I don't see any moves value in vehicles.txt

Found it in the weapons.txt file.

The traditional way: print-scr then paste in a paint program

Works! I had tried using howies funware, but that didn't work.