Dune flags/banners

Davidu

By looking on Van's low banner I just realized that there's no representation of the banners in Dune around here. Not even the Atreides flag.

Now what are the REAL flags of House Harkonnen? House Corrino? IX? Guild? Bene Gesserit? Bene Tleilaxu? I only know the Atreides flag, and Van did it right: green on top and black below.

Well, the originals didn't really go into this, as knowing every little detail isn't really that important to the story.  Thankfully, we have the prequels to demystify everything now.  What would we do without them?

House Atreides:

-Green and black.  Simple.

-The red hawk being on the banner may/may not be standard.  Paul's visions of his jihad seem to imply that only the former Atreides soldiers (i.e. who served the Duke before Arrakis) had the red hawk.

House Harkonnen:

-In Dune, the Harkonnen banner is orange, or at least partially so.

-Heretics of Dune describes the Harkonnen no-globe as being mainly blue and white.  The DE agrees with this.  This seems to have stuck, and blue-with-white-griffins banners and the like are mentioned ad nauseum in the prequels.

House Corrino:

-(prequels, and DE, though the originals seem to agree) White, with a gold lion.

-The DE portrayed the gold/white as being the "royal flag".  The Sardaukar flag was said to be black.  Just black.

Ginaz/House Ginaz:

-Yellow/gold and black in the DE.

(The rest are strictly mentioned in the prequels)

The Landsraad:

-Teal and brown.  Blech.

House Moritani:

-Yellow and purple?  Purple and black?  Something like that.

Ix/House Vernius:

-Purple, with a copper helix symbol

I really can't remmeber any more, but it's a start.

Incidentally, Van, heraldry would expect you to outline your hawk with 'argent' (white) or 'or' (gold/yellow), since it is inappropriate to place a colour on a colour; they are usually separated by a metal. A line between black and green might also look nice.

There are other metals that you might consider using for other banners  a dark grey for the Sardaukar (I remember some of their uniform was dark grey)

I myself attempt to stick primarilly to the Original series for information. As such, this subject (as mentioned by vanguard) is fairly unresolved. However, there are some indications that one can draw conclusions from.

When making skins for my Tribes DUNE mod, we had to include some sort of banners or flags. To do so, we interpolated what we could from the original books, and filled in the blanks where we could.

Note, we did not use heraldry rules for it, because we never bothered to look into it. I think it's well to note that this (and the importance of it) would very by the culture you're looking into. Looking into a civilization thats tens of thousands of years into the future, one would expect to have a lot of changes.

None the less here are the version we came up with, along with either our thought process, or our quotes from the book. Note that we have a variety of each emblem, and some change throughout them. The atredies for example has a more iconic look to the hawk on differen surfaces:

House Atreides

HA.jpg

-"He pointed out the window to the Atreides green and black banner hanging limply from a

Thanks for the quotes, Tez (err... mind if I call you that?  You can call me Vanny in exchange.  ;)).  After posting my last post, I went to bed, and before nodding my way to dreamland, I wondered why I didn't bring your Tribes mod up.  Your Vernuis banner is very nice, and I recalled you using the Harkonnen orange H symbol (it was the "Feyd's fete" quote that really stood out in my mind).  I had never seen your Atreides flag; it looks superb!

I think you're right, Christ.  I remmeber the prequels mentioning the Richese symbol being an hourglass.  I think their colours were also purple and copper, like House Vernius.  I remember Leto wearing a ceremonial cape that his father had worn during his marriage, which had both the green-black Atreides colours and purple-copper Richese colours, signifying the political bond between the two Houses through marriage.

• 2 months later...

I found this topic and since I am the one who did most of the artwork itself (which only got done due to the slave-driver-like tactics of Tez) I figured I'd post the original (and higher quality) versions...

House Atreides:

AE.jpg

House Harkonnen:

HE.jpg

House Corrino:

CE.jpg

Bene Tleilaxu:

BT.jpg

And an example of the other kind of Bene Tleilaxu emblem:

BTb.jpg

IX:

IX.jpg

Minor House 1:

MH1.jpg

Minor House 2:

MH2.jpg

[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

• 2 months later...

wait a sec, in the prequels, I remember richese having two symbols on their flag. If I remember right one of them is a lamp (oil lamp it seems if I remember right), is this true?

Well, if your speaking in reference to the pictures posted, we tried our very very best to use the canon whenever we could. So if the prequels said something, that wasn't our territory.

wait a sec, in the prequels, I remember richese having two symbols on their flag. If I remember right one of them is a lamp (oil lamp it seems if I remember right), is this true?

You might eb thinking of Paulus' wedding cape, which had both the Atreides green/black/hawk, and the lamp insignia of House Richese.