My monitor is making noises

Over the past week or two, my monitor at times is making a pretty loud high pitched buzzing noise.

I have a couple of windows open, and if I press teh show desktop noise, it eithor goes away or makes a different sound. And if I press the show desktop button again (to show windows) the sound comes back to what it is.

Eventually the noise may go away, but it usually comes back for a couple minutes often.

I never installed the software that came with my monitor, but it always worked fine. I got the monitor at the end of December 2003.

It is a viewsonic E90 19inch black monitor.

This product http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/crtmonitors/e2series/e90/

I'm trying to find drivers, but don't see any on the drivers page.

Quite certain, as when I turn off my monitor the noise goes away.

And when I minimize all of the windows the noise changes.

So I think it is the monitor.

It only happens once every couple days or so for about 10 minutes.

Although I notice sometimes when I turn on my monitor it is shaking clockwise/counterclockwise around the edges really bad, but then gets better and I hear a click in the monitor (as if it just fully turned on.)

I made a thread about my monitor shaking one night as it wouldn't stop shaking, even after I turned it on/off. I think that was 2 months ago, but I can not find the thread.

The shaking is the degauss thing that happens, and it is cool (nice effect, I likes).

I had an uncle who had his monitor in an enclosed cabinet, the kind that houses the monitor and tower. The front would open but the rest was still enclosed.

It was heating up and would make a whining sound. Cannot remember how log it would take to start, but it would take some time, then switching it off for a while would stop it until it warmed up again.

Maybe you hvae a similar issue ? The way to check would be to simply notice how long it would take to start, and if switching it off and letting it cool a little helped.

Otherwise I would not know what to suggest.

HTH.

I would not think it would be overheating too much, as it had only been on for an hour max when it started to do it today.

And it auto degauses when you start the monitor up?

Cause I just did a manual degaus and it did a hell of a lot more shaking than when it does it on its' own.

Auto Degauss, yes. As far as I know, all monitors (CRT's) auto-degauss on start up. If not, it would be very few that dont.

Like I said, if you are sure it is not the heat, then I probably will not be able to help much more.  :-

Yah I manually degaussed the other day.

My speakers are about 30 cm away from monitor, but they are in the same spot they have been since I got the computer.

It just started again!!

And I degaused it but it is still making noises. And when I minimize some windows the noise changes sounds.

Maybe it is faulty and I should take it back.

I dont think I sent in any "papers" like you sometimes do to get warranties, hope I can still get it. (Supposed to be Three year limited warranty

24/7 free technical and customer support*

*Excludes major U.S. holidays.) I don't remember getting any papers to fill out for warranty anyways.

Monitor whines are caused by the CRT itself.  The color guns are beginning to fail, and they will whine at certain frequencies.  My wife's monitor would do it only when playing The Sims, but when she dropped back to windows, it would stop.  Since I don't play The Sims (I play Emperor!) I swapped monitors with her.  Well, it started on me all the time, windows or not.  Finally, I just dumped it and bought a new monitor.  17" and 19" monitors are cheap these days, so if it is out of warranty, you should be able to get one at a local shop for a reasonable price.

Your right, the more white my monitor has on it the higher pitched or whatever it gets!

I don't know if I can afford another $300.

I better get my damn refund.

And it seems to happen about 10 minutes after I start my computer, then it stops about 10 minutes later and doesn't happen again until a much later time.

The shitty part is they wont replace it unless it is messing up while they are looking at it at the store.

Same happened to keyboard it messed up, I took it about 2 times and they found nothing, but it got worse and I finally got it to screw up for them at Staples.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, it was still making the noise so I turned the refresh rate to 70hz and not 75hz. I havn't heard the nose yet. Hope it works forever at 70hz and not make it again.

So this might prove that turning up the refresh rate will decrease the life of your monitor. Or I have a defective monitor. :P

I dont know about that.

Maybe turning my speakers up higher will lengthen their life (and I dont mean to speaker busting proportions, either !).

I am sure your monitor can (normally) go above 70Htz. Maybe yours is defective, if that is indeed what it turns out to be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Sigh. The last couple days I noticed my monitor is making noises again. I only notice it on one web page so far.

http://www.upei.ca/~cls/dropbox/SpringTime.html

And it makes a slightly louder noise when I am part way down the page where it is full of courses (more white).

Any suggestions?

I can't move my speakers much (they're crappy, with short cord), and that is where my speakers have been for 7 years.

Now these noises are not extremely bad at the moment, but like last time they started off not often and not loud, but they eventually got worse.

Last time fixing the problem was changing my screen refresh rate to a lower level.

It is currently at 70 hz. The next lower level is 60 hz, but it hurts my eyes to look at the screen. :P

It makes no noise at 60 hz. I changed it to 72 hz, louder noise.

Just tried 75 hz, no noise!

Guess I will use 75 hz for now. Although in my previous post it said I had the noise at 75 hz and 70 was fine....

I'm gonna go look for the receipt and maybe I can get a new one.

Any suggestions for this messed up shit is welcome.

One theory to keep it working (assuming keeping it at 75hz makes no noise for 4 months) is that I could keep changing it back and forth every so often, although it will probably get worse.

EDIT -

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=viewsonic+e90+noise+problem&btnG=Search&meta=

Has a similiar problem for the first link, although the link no longer works. searching the forum didn't work either.

EDIT- google cached it.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=cache:njUUFGW1NncJ:glocktalk.com/sitemap/topic/231644-1.html+viewsonic+e90+noise+problem&hl=en

Would it hurt if I reinstalled the display adapter driver?

That is what my HP help thing is saying migrht fix it. (Among other things that do not seem like possible solutions.)

Out of no where, my monitor started to make bad noise at 75 hz. But it disappeared. So 75 is a no go.

So onto other options.

My other post was getting jumbled up and long.

So I uninstalled the video driver. played with some settings after the reboot and eventually found it making the noise when viewing a certain webpage (mentioned above).

Changing from 16 bit to 32 color bit does not help when using a refresh rate that makes noise.

Although like the website help I found using google, I changed my resolution from 1024*768 to 1152*864 adn no noise.

I might be able to get used to this resolution. As long as no noise, although I would think it would get worse like the website said.

I am going to install the latest drivers (nvidia), because the ones I'm using (came with computer) are probably 3 years old. (remember I uninstalled it just earlier, and that driver had nothing to do with it according to what I have found.)

EDIT - Installed newest driver, small noises using regular resolution at 70hz.

Guess for now I will play cat and mouse.

i haved one monitor  what was new and after 2years he  died...  try gettin him to repair service, they would know why monitor is shaking. i was forced to repair this cause repair was able cos small thing burned (that  part what keep power in monitor,  but they gonna die again, cos screen is shaking me very much, when i set screen resolution 1024x1128 screen is cuted to four parts and completily i cant see anything , just white and black lines what shaking, when i set 800x600 i see normal scree,it shake too but not that much , and i could play any game, so when i running game like red alert 2, what automatically turn into  that resolution what results of crash . that annonying cause i cant play fsvourite game. i need always reinstall after playing cause when i exit game, they turn to 1024x1128  , and i cant change those settings in game,    i tried on cousing comp play red alert 2, and no any of that kind problems.