Fighting Style of Ginaz Mercenaries

Ninja_Sher

Ninja style, as in stealthiness, etc?  I wouldn't think so.  There are tons of scenes depicting them fighting in large numbers with little or so stealth.

I would think they would use a medley of verious eatern and western martial art forms.

Ninja style, as in stealthiness, etc?  I wouldn't think so.  There are tons of scenes depicting them fighting in large numbers with little or so stealth.

I would think they would use a medley of verious eatern and western martial art forms.

Ninja Style is not invisiblity ( it is just a section though Nonase means invisible ), I meant the way one of them take on several of the enemies. Perhaps they fight like Jedi Knights in Star Wars.

Eastern style of killing with one sudden swing would be impossible in world with shields. As Japanese never had material ones, duniverse energic shields are even more effective. I think they fence with sabres, most possibly oriental ones (like turkish or arabian), which are stronger than for example polish or cossack ones as in mass, but more dependant on hand. As knives, we can say.

I would exactly call a James Bond flick as being the definitive resource on ninjas...

Caid, I think Sher was referring to the Mercenaries from the BJ trilogy, in which they fought unshielded robots.  I recall they largely abstained from using shields themselves.  But they used just about any blade, including rapiers.  I seem to recall the swords had sonic vibration generators in the hilt, to maximize cutting ability.

Ninjas were never trained to face strong enemies in direct combat. As trained assassins they would rely on a quick direct kill from behind. (Just my assumptions plus some infos from a martial arts trainer i know)

My bet would be an eastern kung fu style (i don't refer to that kungfu from the movies, kungfu normally is used

If anyone has seen kill bill volum one..The last scewne in the japanease hotel the big brawl..

I sware I thought to my self..

"Damn she must be a level 12 swordmaster." Then I caught my self and slaped me for being such a nerd..

yeah darn kevin j probably took vibro blades from the starwars universe and put them into the ginaz arsinal.

They obviously do not fight in any sort of eastern martial arts style. The reason being is that western sword arts are in themselves very complex unlike what a lot ofp eople think, and not only this but in the dune books the weapons mentioned are largely western. Because of this and the fact that no real eastern weapons are mentioned (some middle eastern weapons are mentioned but they arent related to far eastern kinds) tells me that they focus on western styles of fighting, added with new techniques. You can tell with the kinds of stances that are used that are western in approch, also how duncan fights and what weapons he uses. He also uses some more "blunt" and more militaristic rather than artful styles like the use of a small knife with a short sword.

They were NOT eastern in their style of fighting.

Also the ninja's did not use kung fu, that is silly. Certain families still hand down the oldschool styles of ninjutsu. This kind of style does not only encorperate martial arts, but healing remedies as well as alchemy and engineering. It was the art of life for early ninja's before they became mercinaries. They were gaurilla fighters. Their form of martial arts though is largely similar to things like kenjutsu that focuses on swordsmenship as well as joint locks, throws, low kicks and punches, as well as pressure points. It is not at all similar to kung fu. I studied martial arts in detail as I used to be really interested in it, I myself was in martial arts for awhile, both a japanese style and korean as well.

well one big place where you see that is in dune, when you see the sardaukar fighting, as well as duncan and others fighting. very western and mixed with a tad bit of middle eastern with the weapons.

also at the beginning when gurney puts out the weapons for weapons practice, the books gives a list of some of the weapons shown, and almost all of them have western origins, none though that are far eastern. And this is the general theme of weapons that is through the whole series.

The Ginaz fighters probably use a mix of styles -- taking the best from each discipline. It's probably a mix of Eastern style and form and Western speed and destructiveness. Ginaz fighters don't fight with the Eastern mentality of disarming opponents without killing them. In fact, its similar to the US Marine Corps goal of killing any man in seconds.

Oddly enough, I once spoke to a Marine lieutenant who told me that the USMC hand-to-hand combat training is itself a mix of fighting styles from all over the world.

hmm we disagree there wolf, I mean show me where it talks about eastern arts mixed into ginaz swordsmenship.

the only place with definite eastern military arts are the bene gesserits and the honored matres, that is about it in my books, I dont see why people always have to put eastern martial arts into things like dune.

I guessed it would be an eastern art, because eastern martial arts mainly teach to counter strength by being fluid like water (in a metaphorical way ;) ) and use the enemies momentum against him. Another principle is that your weapons are extensions of your hands. I think both principles are extremely helpful to fight something that is far superior in strength. (a machine for example).

Im not very knowledgeable about western fighting styles, but i never heard about these principles thought in western art.

hmm you should study the art of a double handed bastard or long sword, like a claymore. they are focused on that, and have manuals and even teachers that thought strategums and things about swordplay.

yeah it is interesting stuff. I mean I could be wrong about this, but I just part ways with the preqeuls in this area. I think the martial arts of ginaz are western in approch. Not only that but after thosuands of years they have probably evolved into their own, not eastern or western but something totally new.