The Beast?

Spectral Paladin

This question has come to my mind a while ago and I thought I should share it with you. Check the following quotes from the Dune books.

"And I stood upon the sand of the sea and saw a beast rise up out of the sea... and upon his hands the name of blasphemy" from Dune

"And I stood upon the sand, and I saw a beast rise up out of that sand, and upon the head of that beast was the name of God!" from Children of Dune

In the Bible, in John's Apocalypse if I 'm not mistaken, a Beast is mentioned. Do you think these phrases are quotes from the Bible or somehow related to the Bible's Beast?

Aren't those actually quotes of quotes?  I mean to say aren't those quotes from the Orange Catholic bible or some religion in Dune?  If that's the case then yes, I'd say they are probably bible-influenced.  Think about it, if you're writing a book with religious text in it, your best influence is current religious text.

The first quote is recalled by Duke Leto as a phrase that Gurney often repeated... and Gurney often recited from the Orange Catholic Bible. However this is not mentioned plainly.

As for the second quote it's the Preacher who says it, and though it appears as a quote in his speach (there are ""), there is no indication where they come from.

yeah the verse in Dune is from The Revelation of Christ to John. The OCB seems to be an amalgomation of many religious texts from ancient terra.

Paul later currupted it, for obvious reasons. He wanted to adapt what he was saying to those who lived on arrakis. This has been done through the ages, adapting religion to fit the culture of the people.

He twisted the verse to create a sort of prophesy about Leto II if I remember right.

The Revelation quote is slightly distorted, because the real verse speaks about a beast with 7 heads (with blasphemy upon them) and 10 horns, but that wouldn't apply to the Baron ::)

Slightly off topic: when Paul is faced with the decision of accepting Jamis'