Now its personal?  Wtf?

Mahdi

Shaddam had Rhomburs planet invaded, destroyed his home, sent him and his family into exile, murdered his parents and his friends, was indirectly responsible for his sisters suicide, the death of his nephew, and his being in a coma for years and now being half metal, yet it isn't personal between them until Shaddam executes his half-brother whom Rhombur had never met or even knew existed?!

Does this make sense to anyone?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah Mahdi, I agree, it was a pretty lame line. I have a question for all of you, does Rhombur appear in any of the Chronicles books? I mean, he is a flat character in the Prequel books, but is significant enough that I'm wondering if F.H. wrote about him in any of his books. ???

It's really upsetting how some characters that DO cross over from the Prequels to the Chronicles, like Piter de Vries, Count Fenring, Duncan Idaho, and even Gurney Halleck are not entirely consistent. Heck, even Jessica is WAY different at the beginning of Dune than at the end of House Corrino. You'd think that with all the time and effort put into the Prequels, they would have been able to tie things together better.  >:(

Ah, more prequel bashing.  ;)

I agree that many of the characters who were in both prequel and... uh... postquel were messed up.  Namely, my favourite character, Piter.  He was awesome in the Chronicles, but a drooling idiot in the prequels.  I found Gurney's reson for his dedication to the Atreides was pretty lame too.  I always thought the Atreides launched a daring raid on the slave-pits of Geidi Prime, and found Gurney.  Ah well, c'est la vie.

Also, did anyone notice that in Dune, Jessica is talking to Yueh, and she says they had known each other for 6 years.  But in the prequels, Yueh had known the Atreides since before Paul was born (even though he left with Rhombur), making it at least 15 years that they had known each other.

I think many of the things you wrote makes sense. I agree that the two didn't make A new Dune, and noone will ever be able to do that. You're definately right about Fenring, he's made like a monster, but I do think that it is him who controls the Emperor, just not the way he does it the prequels. Like I've said before these new books can't be compared with those of FH, but I still think most of them are good reading.

• 1 month later...