Talking in pure mathematics

Egeides

David Lynch, with the acceptance of Frank, said in the movie that the navigators were speaking pure mathematics. Language is an interesting thing to me, so I wondered: how would "speaking mathematics" be? It certainly would be the most rational language that could exist, thus any actual language that gets closer to this would also have closer caracteristics to maths, and people speaking such a language would look closer to guild navigators ;D

So how would "speaking mathematics" be?

I always thought of it as being a more advanced version of the "mentat speak."  We can see Thufir talking through some sort of communications machine just after Palace Arrakeen and the garrisons have been secured.

"Quadrant of the eighth; circle of the ninth; blah blah."

The machine itself recieved messages only as a series of flashes and sounds resembling that of an old computer printer, which are then "translated" by Thufir.

This is where the prequels might actually be correct and helpful.  My belief after reading the FH dune novels was that Navigators do not really "speak" as such, but rather communicate through their mind (either directly with the ship or with others).  The House series seems to confirm this, and the description of Norma Cenva from BJ and MC (I am halfway through this on now) seem to confirm this.  This leaves the question, of course, if BH and KJA got their idea from Lynch.  Either way, it seems to be in perfect accord with what is in the original novels.

al Harba

The prequels are made so that they do not contradic what's already there, but what they bring is not necessarily Frank's way to see Dune. Or anything for that matter. If you want, there's also some fanfiction that doesn't contradict Frank's Dune and it is saying lots of stuff. (But in my opinion it doesn't make it part of the original vision)