Prequals vs. Originals.

heythurman

Hey everyone. I'me new to the site and boards. I've been reading Dune over the passed 6 years or so. Started in high school. I loved the orinal movie and when i found out there were books a couple years after seeing the movie i had to read them. But i was too young to read through the books, so in high school i remembered them and started reading. Ended up reading 1-6 in about a year then found out about the prequals and read all those as they came out and now on the 2nd book of the machine trilogy! so anywayz. I was just wondering what everyone thought of the books? I think its strange that Kevin and Brian wrote in a bit different style. I also don't think they get into the heads of the characters as much as frank. Also i would like better action sequences. I loved reading as tec killed everyone in the tower and how the Bene G's wooped up on ppl with their fast skill. Now im reading the second book of the maching wars and this guy "noret" is supposed to be so unbelievable but it never gives good details of how he kills the machines in hand to hand combat. Its more like "noret killed 10 machines and kept running". Other than those complaints i love the books and im glad they are there to read. What are you thoughts?

A lot of debate has gone into this and though there are several shades of grey, not many people prefer the prequels.

For obvious reasons. The detail is sparse, the plots are simplistic, the characters shallow and the events poorly crafted and handled. This is of course in comparison to the originals. As books in their own right the prequels would merely been seen as "ever-so-slightly-below-average." In comparison to the originals however, they are "truly terrible. I mean absolutely awful." Sad, but true.

See this little snippet that Mahdi posted here once.

HAAH. Yea. I aggree with most of that. But still, its DUNE and im glad to just be reading about it. At least you get some background and stuff. I've enjoyed reading them and I'll read all the DUne books they put out, especially Dune7. But yea, i feal they are lacking. However i do think they got better after House Atreides which was REALLY bland.

What type of frank novel are you looking for?

I've read white plague and THE DOSADI EXPERIMENT.

Liked white plague much better than dosadi.

TMA has read most of frank's books. (he should know a bit about each if your looking for something specific in a book.)

I love the prequels! They are facinating books. though I have not read other books than the dune books. perhaps a few in school, but I don't like reading. but I do like to read the prequels! also the original books, but I think it is funner to read the prequels.

the story in the original books are better. I think they are a bit "heavy"(dunno if that is the right word) to read..

I think the more they write the worse it gets. Which does unfortuntely spell very bad news for Dune 7. I just hope it turns out alright...

I touched on this in a thread on the other sequel/prequel thread, but I really do not feel the need for a Dune 7 -- especially not in the hands of BH and KA.