Alia's name

TMA_1

I just thought it was interesting. The name is actually hebrew, and stems from the word meaning "noble" or "descender". It is a very regal name and seems to have importance, almost prophetic figuring that she eventually becomes regent of Arrakis.

The book in general is written far too deliberately for something like this to just be a happy coincidence.

I think the name is quite Ironic, as she was born with the destiny to rule, yet that was the thing that tipped the scales of her madness and paranoia.

I've always loved seeing names in books.  Character names, place names, object names, and so on.  I think knowing where names come from is often a good way of finding out the roots of the authour's inspirations and interests.

What I've always wondered is how Duke Leto got his name.  Leto is a Greek lunar goddess, and the mother of Apollo and Artemis.

Alia is most possibly derived from "Ali", name of first Khalif, descender of prophet Muhammad. It means "God's", "owned by God". It may have some etymological connection to ancient hebrew prophet Elli, also names like bosnian Alija are certainly from it.

it isnt from ali, ali is usually male in languages, and alia is the direct name from the hebrew, dont get too technical caid.lol

also, Leto is a goddess and lover to zues. There is a moon that goes around jupitor, and was named so because all of the moons were named after male and female lovers of zues/jupitor/jove

also, Leto is a goddess and lover to zues. There is a moon that goes around jupitor, and was named so because all of the moons were named after male and female lovers of zues/jupitor/jove

Yes, I know this as well, but I don't know how that would lead to the character being named thusly.  A quandry!