"fighters" in the Dune universe

TMA_1

I have been rereading the Dune books, and have found many ships. Cant remember all of them at the top of my head but here is a shot. By the way, most of these are just classes of various types of ships.

Heighliners

Monitors

Frigates

lighters

cutters

crushers

ornithopters

others...

I have noticed that the fighters though come in many forms and have designations based on what they do.

Cutters are mentioned somewhere in one of the books, forgot to save the book page. But they are basically powerful gun platformed fighters, that work in unity with one another.

crushers interlock with one another to crush craft in mass. I have heard the idea that crushers are actually interlocked scraps of metal and old hulls, that kind of stuff. I dont see it like that though.

Does anybody have any more info on these ships, and do you guys find it interesting that frank took different approches to space combat. It is usually not mentioned, save the prequels which make a decent view on how it works. anyways any info from you guys?

hmm, I always thought of orni's as a general statement for many kinds of designs of ships, ships that used sustained wing beating to fly. that is what ornithopter means afterall.

Kinda like saying that there is only one variable geometry fighter. There is not just one, there are many kinds, the mig 23, the f-14, f-111 and others.

Maybe we are thinking on the same wavelength, not sure.hehe

hmm, I always thought of orni's as a general statement for many kinds of designs of ships, ships that used sustained wing beating to fly. that is what ornithopter means afterall.

Yeah, that's what I meant, and that some ornithopters were designed specifically for combat.

Ornitopthers would be perfect fighters. See any small bird, they maneuver perfectly and even their speed is good. Also ornies might have an auxilliary jet engine for pursuits and cruise flight, with wings in fixed position. And it can take off and land anywhere, without need of airstrips, and due to its relatively low needs even infrastructure. That is problem of jet-propelled VTOL planes like Harrier. An ornitopther would be a perfect craft for all uses: interception, air superiority, tactical support, bombing...

In fact, I doubt there was to ment to be only one type of orni in Dune. Just Herbert did not thought it would be necessary to count producers and models. In fact I think most war ornies were primarily air fighters or fire support gunships able to carry more passengers (like Mi-24). Cutters and kindjals were space fighters, with a limited abilities in atmosphere, so they were used mostly as strategic bombers or long range interceptors.