the question that has been asked a million times over

xenogear74

I have heard a lot of people say they want peter jackson to film Dune. Well besides the point that Peter Jackson doesnt love the Dune series like he does LOTR and the fact that it is well, pretty much impossible in so many other ways it just seems silly.lol But I wanted to make this post to protest the idea, its what I am decent at at times.

THe problem I see is this, Peter Jackson is a decent director, his other films were pretty good, but lets face it, he is no artistic genius, at least not in my eyes. None of the filming he did was absolutely amazing, and most of the wonderful things you do see come from the minds of various artists and editors. The directing that Jackson does is not what I would prefer in Dune. I like to think I know a lot about film, more than the average person. Me and my friend robbie have started self teaching ourselves about the techniques of film, he is doing it mainly to beef himself up because he has a full ride scholarship at NYU at it's film school there, and well I just like it.

The filming that peter jackson does is a bit bland, and seems a little bit too typical. Now the artistry and ideas behind the film are fantastic! but lets face it, almost every single thing taken from it is from other people's ideas, and that is how it usually goes. Watching all of the documentaries of both the movies out, it seems that Jackson did a good job in directing and coaching everything, but as I have said when I watched the film I didnt get any particular feeling like I do when I watch something like Citizen Kane, The Manchurian Candidate, or 2001. Movies that blew my mind away. It just seems to me with enough money and genius from artists, the movie is bound to go decently well.

Another problem is this, I have read all of the LOTR books, and though I dont know nearly as much of them as I know Dune, it seems that the writing of the movies were okay, but left a lot to be desired. A lot of the things left out were important to me and other fans I know, and were taken out for silly reasons. Many say that these portions were taken out because it would not go well in a movie version, but I dont see why that is so at all. I know very well that it is hard to take books and turn them to movies, and often you have to cut a hell of a lot out of the books for the cinimatic version, but I think they added and took away things that I just didnt like. I dont think that if somehow a miracle happened and he made Dune, it would be any better than the miniseries. I think Dune is an impossible movie maker. And the best job done was by David Lynch, a wonderful director that had to twist and deform the story a lot, but did it in some wonderful ways.

All of this is a matter of my personal opinion, but just the same this is how I see it. What do you guys think?

I am not realy for letting Peter Jackson filming any of the Dune books.

Yes he did a great job with LOTR, using relatively unknown actors to make 3 (probably) good movies with a good atmosphere.

However, somehow i don't think that he will interpret the dune universe in the right way. Don't ask me why i think that, but i just feel like he'll make another exciting, action fantasy movie of it. And that is not Dune..

I can picture it now...Hobbits on Dune! ;)

Maybe Quinten Tarintino can do Dune?

Paul: Why's my name Usul?

Stilgar: Cause Your noble born alright!?

Maybe peter jackson could split The novel dune into 3 parts?(by the way stated in the book) 3 6 hour miniseries each part. :D

Jackson, from what I saw in LotR, seems to be able to catch all the elements and make a synthesis of them. This is why I think that, if Dune would be interesting to him, he could do something very nice. But I do believe that David Lynch is hard to beat on what he did. The only problem with Lynch's movie is that it was cut on cash and wasn't able to bring all elements. But Lynch was really good at bringing everything without a word, to put a whole sentence behind a word, a whole chapter behind a sentence.