Fenring, one interesting character.

TMA_1

does anybody agree with me here on this?

The thing is the prequels depend too much on fenrings steriotypical ticks, like going hmmm-ahh?

and generally being the big weasel he is.

The thing though is In Dune he is much more of a character. You can see his intelligence and see how close he is to being a person like paul. Even though he is literally a genetic dead end, he still is pretty advanced, and he is almost bene gesserit in his thinking. The perfect example of fenring for me is when he is talking to Baron Harkonnen at the arena.

When talking to feyd, he is fully of the typical royal pomp, very aloof, constantly humming and haahing. Speaking very slow and well seemingly he seems somewhat dense. He also appears to be a very weak figure.

But when he enters the cone of silence with the Baron, he is as sharp as a knife. Suddenly his ticks stop and his intelligence just permiates everything he says. He shocks the baron into a corner, and the baron has a hard time retorting. After the talk though, he returns to his "normal" self, humming and Haahing, acting like a typical regal jerk.

It is also funny to hear of his mastery in weapons. He doesnt seem like that type, but people fear the guy! in fact the emperor trusts him to fight Paul, and fenring knew he could have won. I see though secretly a kinship between the two, I made a post awhile ago about that. See Paul and Fenring were of different genetic paths, but they seem to be connected somehow, and if not physically connected, it seems that fenring see's a lot of Paul in himself. In the fact of his sharpness and way of thinking. You can just see that Fenring understands pauls path and it seems like he almost well... likes paul. Liking him as an equal. That is the amazing thing too, because from reading his character, the only one that comes close to gaining his respect as an equal is Margot. Just thought he is a really cool character, what do you guys think?

Ya...Fenring was one of my favorite characterse in both the original Dune and prequels. I actually feel as if his part in the Miniseries was a bit cut short of the importance of him within the storyline. He is awesome. He's pretty much his own kwisatz haderach according to the Bene Gesserits. Though, he was supposed to reproduce but, because he came out sterile thus being an almost forgotten bad seed...Though not completely forgotten which is why they placed Margot to watch over him. I did agree with the prequels because they definitely focused on how dangerous he was. Thus foreshadowing the part where he and Paul are staring back at each other before he refused to kill him, although having the full potential to do so.

Fenring is a specifical type of politician. Mastermind of most operations, bound to demagogical or predestined leader, which is so dependant on him, that he looks like a doll in his hands. In prequels he was made as some kind of court assassin, I don't think this image describes what Frank thought with him much.

Fenring was butchered int eh prequels. In the original novel he was an agent of the emperor who happened to be intellegent and extremly good fighter due to his kwistaz haderach genes (which he would have been if not for his being genetically altered into a eunuch). In the prequels they turned him into a disloyal, pyschotic murderer with an unsatiable bloodlust.

Not to mention, all that hmm-hahing is in actuality a code between him and his wife so they speak with nobody else knowing what they are saying, not a speech impediment liek the prequels make it out to be.

If he was trulyt eh character the prequels painted him as, he wouldn't have hesitated to kill Paul in the original.

Just a comment: Fenring seems to be in the "noble" way f thinking. Thus, an adversary, a worthy one, is considered as a person to respect, to lurn from, as some kind of friend for his similitude (thus, understanding him and being closer to him than someone else).

Nobles in the Middle Ages and after got this way of seeing adversary as "noble persons" in the first place. They were ideally going against them like they would play against someone at chess and discuss at the same time.