Homeworld 2 Demo

Andrew

i too ran into this problem, no DX9. and had to install DX9 before installing the demo. >:(

i researched and beat the demo of this game and made some posts about it on another board. i will copy and paste those posts now for your viewing pleasure.

note: i am NOT impressed with this game at all. no one on the other board could answer my questions in a satisfactory way. if no one here can either, then i certainly have lost all interest in Homeworld 2. i am still wondering about if the interface issues i have brought up have solutions or not - if they do not, then Homeworld 2 sucks.

Post # 1

i was a bit interested in this game so i did some research and here's what i found out:

1. Gameplay is way less strategic than Homeworld 1 because in Homeworld 2 there are no formations. that sucks!

2. Multiplayer games can now only have a maximum of 6 people. Homeworld 1 had 8. another step BACKWARDS!

3. the game WILL NOT ***INSTALL*** unless you meet the minimum system requirements. if your system does not, you can not install the game, period.

4. there are only 2 races to choose from, and their units are mostly the same.

5. the game has unit caps. NOTE TO ALL DEVELOPERS: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP PUTTING UNIT CAPS IN RTS GAMES!!!!!!!!!!

based on these points, i'm very skeptical about paying for Homeworld 2.

Post # 2 [as you can see, i share your pain, Andrew ;D ]

grrrrrrrrrr

the demo will not install without DirectX 9.0

i *KNOW* that this game does not *NEED* DirectX 9.0 - the graphics are exactly the same as Homeworld 1 which was released in 1999 or sooner!!!

just another case of game developers accepting bribes from MicroSoft in order to force more of their unnecessary software onto our systems.

Post # 3

ok i just beat the demo

the Tutorial SUCKED. hardly explained ANYTHING.

that was quite easy. i couldn't even control my ships, yet i did not die once. LOL

why does the SELECT ALL SHIPS function also select the Resource Collectors??? that is extremely retarded!

how do i SELECT ALL ARMED UNITS ONLY on the screen/map? there BETTER be a way to do that, or i definitely will not buy this game.

how am I supposed to add new ships to existing groups?! i need a quick way to do that, and so far i haven't noticed any

how do i zoom in on a GROUP quickly? the "F" key only works on individual units - but i need a quick-zoom function for GROUPS!

as i was destroying the last Frigate in the demo, all my ships stoped attacking. i was stuck with a a Red/White "CIRCLE CURSOR" and i could not move my ships or attack with them at all. i could not find a way to get rid of this cursor. wtf happened there, and how do you revert to the normal cursor when that happens?

A bit late I know, but I only just saw this thread now, after not checking on this gaming forum for quite some time. ;)

I've downloaded both the Homeworld and Homeworld2 demos, and I must say that the graphics in Homeworld2 have been improved quite a bit from the original.

I'll probably be getting both Homeworld and Homeworld2 (not sure about Homeworld: Cataclysm), since I was quite impressed with Homeworld2, and I can't have just half of the story. :D

I had no technical difficulties at all with either demo, and although the Homeworld2 interface was slightly daunting at first, after going through the tutorial, playing through the first two missions in the demo, and trying my hand at skirmish (and being annihilated by the surprisingly effective AI on easy mode ::)), the interface soon became maneagable. I think I'll quite enjoy these games when I get them.

Post # 1

i was a bit interested in this game so i did some research and here's what i found out:

1. Gameplay is way less strategic than Homeworld 1 because in Homeworld 2 there are no formations. that sucks!

2. Multiplayer games can now only have a maximum of 6 people. Homeworld 1 had 8. another step BACKWARDS!

3. the game WILL NOT ***INSTALL*** unless you meet the minimum system requirements. if your system does not, you can not install the game, period.

4. there are only 2 races to choose from, and their units are mostly the same.

5. the game has unit caps. NOTE TO ALL DEVELOPERS: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP PUTTING UNIT CAPS IN RTS GAMES!!!!!!!!!!

based on these points, i'm very skeptical about paying for Homeworld 2.

Post # 2 [as you can see, i share your pain, Andrew ;D ]

grrrrrrrrrr

the demo will not install without DirectX 9.0

i *KNOW* that this game does not *NEED* DirectX 9.0 - the graphics are exactly the same as Homeworld 1 which was released in 1999 or sooner!!!

just another case of game developers accepting bribes from MicroSoft in order to force more of their unnecessary software onto our systems.

Post # 3

ok i just beat the demo

the Tutorial SUCKED. hardly explained ANYTHING.

that was quite easy. i couldn't even control my ships, yet i did not die once. LOL

why does the SELECT ALL SHIPS function also select the Resource Collectors??? that is extremely retarded!

how do i SELECT ALL ARMED UNITS ONLY on the screen/map? there BETTER be a way to do that, or i definitely will not buy this game.

how am I supposed to add new ships to existing groups?! i need a quick way to do that, and so far i haven't noticed any

how do i zoom in on a GROUP quickly? the "F" key only works on individual units - but i need a quick-zoom function for GROUPS!

as i was destroying the last Frigate in the demo, all my ships stoped attacking. i was stuck with a a Red/White "CIRCLE CURSOR" and i could not move my ships or attack with them at all. i could not find a way to get rid of this cursor. wtf happened there, and how do you revert to the normal cursor when that happens?

If you're going to "research something", make sure you know what you're talking about, so you don't look like an idiot, k?

"Post 1":

1. There are formations...the various tactics set formations, and the Strike Groups are far more useful anyways. Beside, formations in HW were just eye candy anyways, the units didn't act any different depending on what formation they were in.

2. So? The game, like War3, generals, etc, would be all but unplayable with 8 or more people anyways.

3. So? It probably wouldn't *run* without the minimum requirements, so why take up hard drive space with something that won't run?

4.That comment is so ignorant, it doesn't even dignify an answer. Sure, there are two sides, but they aren't similar at *all*.

5. OK, the fighter cap (I think) 20-something squadrons. With an average of five fighters per quadron, thats about 100 fighters. Do you really need that many Interceptors? ::) A group cap would be one thing; those serve no purpose but to create excessive micromanagement. But UNIT caps, especially like in HW2, where they are seprate for each class, add straegical depth, forcing you to vary your army.

"Post 2":

OK, why don't you have DX9 in the first place? It's on the CD of HW2, as well as just about every other game released since DX9 came out. Plus, you can DL it from the MS website. And no, there is no spyware in it, stop being paranoid.

And if you actually looked, you could tell the graphics are far superior to the original Homeworld.

"Post 3":

Most of the stuff in this post is so incredibly ignorant, it requires no answer. READ THE FREAKING MANUAL. Most of the stuff you claim can't be done or doesn't work is explained in the manual. Eg, "f" does indeed work with groups.

And try playing all three tutorial missions, dummy.

As for the cursor thing, that's probably the Hyperspace cursor, hit "ESC". Duh.

And the military units thing. Let's see, what do you suppose the "military selection priority" checkbox does? Does it make it select only armed units, like it says in the manual, quick reference guide, and tooltip? ::)

Oh, and Newt, do you have XP? If so, I wouldn't risk it with Homeworld 1 (unless its cheap). The demo may work but the full version not (like on mine). It's one finicky program.

If you're going to "research something", make sure you know what you're talking about, so you don't look like an idiot, k?

"Post 1":

1. There are formations...the various tactics set formations, and the Strike Groups are far more useful anyways. Beside, formations in HW were just eye candy anyways, the units didn't act any different depending on what formation they were in.

2. So? The game, like War3, generals, etc, would be all but unplayable with 8 or more people anyways.

3. So? It probably wouldn't *run* without the minimum requirements, so why take up hard drive space with something that won't run?

4.That comment is so ignorant, it doesn't even dignify an answer. Sure, there are two sides, but they aren't similar at *all*.

5. OK, the fighter cap (I think) 20-something squadrons. With an average of five fighters per quadron, thats about 100 fighters. Do you really need that many Interceptors? ::) A group cap would be one thing; those serve no purpose but to create excessive micromanagement. But UNIT caps, especially like in HW2, where they are seprate for each class, add straegical depth, forcing you to vary your army.

"Post 2":

OK, why don't you have DX9 in the first place? It's on the CD of HW2, as well as just about every other game released since DX9 came out. Plus, you can DL it from the MS website. And no, there is no spyware in it, stop being paranoid.

And if you actually looked, you could tell the graphics are far superior to the original Homeworld.

"Post 3":

Most of the stuff in this post is so incredibly ignorant, it requires no answer. READ THE FREAKING MANUAL. Most of the stuff you claim can't be done or doesn't work is explained in the manual. Eg, "f" does indeed work with groups.

And try playing all three tutorial missions, dummy.

As for the cursor thing, that's probably the Hyperspace cursor, hit "ESC". Duh.

And the military units thing. Let's see, what do you suppose the "military selection priority" checkbox does? Does it make it select only armed units, like it says in the manual, quick reference guide, and tooltip? ::)

Oh, and Newt, do you have XP? If so, I wouldn't risk it with Homeworld 1 (unless its cheap). The demo may work but the full version not (like on mine). It's one finicky program.

1. What? Formations in homeworld did not have a function? Here you are wrong. The different formations you used had a great impact in battle. And i do think that homeworld 2 here kinda went backwards only employing 3 formations. But perhaps they have a good reason, let's just wait and see

2. 6 players is ok, but it's bull to say that war3/generals are not playable with more than 6. I have mplayed multiple games of war3 with 12 peopleperfectly.

3. No problem with this, doesn't realy matter to me anyway