Anyone with an Nvidia or ATI graphics card should read this soon !

As many of you know, I have been having alot of problems with my PC, especially my Nvidia geforce 4 mx 440 agp, graphics card.

I visited a link that Doc Nyar mentioned about modified drivers for Nvidia and ATI graphics cards.

http://www.omegacorner.com

I downloaded the modded drivers for Nvidia 44,30 drivers, but they have them for all versions of the Nvidia drivers,and ATI.

When you install them you get a choice of two versions, a Quality vers and a performance vers.

I choose the quality version, because it mentioned stability problems would be mostly cured.

They were not kidding.

I just played Emp and Generals on full graphic levels, everything on high, shadows on.At 32 Bit.

I have never been able to do that before !

Also my PC instability has disappeared and the speed now is incredible.

I have long suspected that Windows XP is the worst operating system for compatability issues.

I would imagine that many of you will agree ?

I would recommend everyone tries the modded drivers, especially XP users and those with Nvidia cards.

If Doc lived near me, I would be buying him several beers right now. lol ;D

Hey Duke, could you also post what was happening with your pc and what were the symtoms.

I'm writing a small log about problems with Nvidia drivers for future reference.

What benefits did you notice after you installed the Omega drivers ? ;)

Duke had a problem where the ground where you build on, would show "spots" with a different coloring. It didn't affect the game, just a graphical glitch. His post should still be here on page one, or top of page 2..

[Edit]

Woops, bottom page 2 :)

http://www.dune2k.com/forum/?board=4;action=display;threadid=11316

[/edit]

• 3 weeks later...

After much testing I discovered these facts about the gEforce 4 cards:

1:The best Nvidia driver is the 40;72 version.

2:If your system becomes unstable,set the AGP rate to X1

3:To play Generals on some systems,the Side Band Addressing must be enabled.

4:A really good alternative driver for ATI and Nvidia are the Omega modified drivers.

Available here: http://www.omegacorner.com

damn, i keep my drivers up to date... how do i get the older drivers?

Try here

and btw my AGP is x8 how do i lower it? ???

In your BIOS..

and whats this side band? ??? ??? ??? i feel smart today ;D

Sideband Addressing is one of the most important AGP features for improving performance. To understand how this helps the performance picture, first consider how a typical memory interface works. The interface will either send or receive data. If data is being sent to a 3D accelerator from system memory, and the accelerator is concurrently requesting another piece of data from memory, the normal sequence would be to process one request at time without overlap.

For example, consider that geometry data is being sent to the 3D accelerator from memory. While this is taking place, the graphics subsystem determines a texture is needed from system memory. To process the command for the texture to be sent, the geometry download must be stopped; the request must be sent and then the download can continue. This negatively impacts performance.

Sideband Addressing works by giving a separate channel for sending commands. So in the same situation, the geometry download would take place while the command was being sent, thus eliminating the serialization of data and command transfers.

Quote: damn, i keep my drivers up to date... how do i get the older drivers? and btw my AGP is x8 how do i lower it? and whats this side band? i feel smart today

these drivers seem to suit perfect for me :D thx.

If everything is working ok, you don't need to change anything ! ;)