Dune: The Animated Series

Mahdi

• 3 months later...

well voices enough, that's not the problem... I guess i'll pass that then eh :P . Animator sounds hard, but don't even know how it should be done. So what program should be used for that? Perhaps if someone knows i could try some things out...

• 2 weeks later...

so you want animators hey lucky for you i just stumbled on this forum from the dune books site, well your in luck, i'm an animation student taking a year out. i've got a few of friends who are animators and game designers(they can animate though) (my friend mikes making a dune game when the half life 2 engine is released), my friends however won't be able to do anything till the summer break (theyre still at uni). what did you have in mind 3d or 2d? what software or is that up to the animators?, is it all preped?, or will we have to do concepts and storyboards? 3d would probably be better for me as thats what i'm mainly doing, but 2ds ok, i think 3d max would be the best choice because thats the one everyone knows, i prefer softimage but its a bit fiddley if you havent used it before. I've already modelled a fremen and a desert mouse, i'm a bit crap at textures though, but i'll work on it.

well i was never really into sci fi then my friend lent me dune and i read it loved it then i got messiah and children, then read all the prequels, and then the legends and ive just finished the machine crusade, and now i'm about to read the rest. I've also got both miniseries but i still havn't seen the david lynch film but my friends got it so next time i go and see him i'll be watching it. know of any other authors like frank herbert or even brian (i really like the prequels alot) they don't have to be sci fi, just similar style.

• 1 month later...

Okay...this might sound rude but I stumbled across this topic on a search engine and I'm a little bummed to see this didn't get anywhere. 

I'm very glad to see that there are other people who think Dune could be animated...I personally think animation is a much better format for this book than a live-action mainstream movie.  The time constraints and what not for a mainstream movie just seem to hinder the story (even the miniseries did a bit).  I think with animation though a lot of the more obscure elements of the story (dream sequences, interior monologues, changing of the water of life, etc) could be shown a lot more creatively.  Unfortunately, I don't think I can offer anything in the way of helping...I can't draw worth a shit, I don't know how to 3D model...I might be able to do voice acting, but I don't have any decent recording equipment.  I am SOMEWHAT of a musician....don't know what I could do in the way of that though (I haven't written anything in a long time). 

So does anyone still read this thread?  Is anything still going on with this great idea?

hey, if you think some of my drawings are decent, maybe I could help with animation. want me to make some sketches to see if they are good enough? if so what do you want to see mahdi, maybe they might be good. want me to help somehow?