Atreides & Trojan War

Gamont Gambler

"House Atreides claimed to trace its roots more than twelve thousand years, back to the ancient sons of Atreus on Old Terra."

Since we've already had a prequel set 10 000 years (!!) before the events of Dune, what's another few thousand years?

How about a series of books about the origins of House Atreides i.e. 'Ancient Legends of Dune', or 'Origins of Dune', or 'House Atreides: The Beginning' etc. ;)

The Atreides ("sons of Atreus") - Agamemnon and Menelaus, Kings of Mycenae and Sparta, declare war on Troy. Their army is led by warrior Achilles to seige the Trojans...hang on...they ARE making a film about this with Brad Pitt (Achilles), Eric Bana (Hector) and Brian Cox (Agamemnon). Technically...er...sort of...this will be a prequel movie to Dune !!

House Atreides back on the big screen 2004 !! ;D

Wasn't it discovered that Agamemnon was really a computer nerd and he just changed his name as like a screen name for a computer network gaming, *probably similar to Westwood Online and Battle.net* where he met the other Titans? So How would you do trace that? His descendants could have been in India; during the Trojan War, because of the coloration of their skin as mentioned in the books.

The Trojan war really did happen; however, the addition of gods was only used to make the story more interesting for the storytellers that told it.

Haven't u heard of the archaeologist who found Troy and when looking for the part of the city that was around during the war...Well he used dynamite to find it underground, as it turned out he blew up the artifacts that existed during the Trojan war.

yeah well from my sources, the trojan war couldve been a civil war, barbarian raid, it couldve been anything theres no proof of what it was, even if there had been such a large scale war which most highly doubt, the "trojans" might have won, i got this from the Iliad of Homer translated by Richmond Lattimore, it says so in the introduction

Sorry Duncan, it did happen and Troy was destroyed. The city was actually found some time ago.

If you manage to, try and catch the History Channel's "Unconventional Warfare" special that was on the other day. They talk a good deal about the Trojan War, and then say they doubt the horse ever existed or the Gods, and they think it was more likely over trade than love. Apparently the first time Troy was found in the late 1800s, it was more recent than the Troy of Legend, they dug deeper in later decades and found it.

The Vikings did not go galavanting about in the Mediteranean at the time of the Greeks :P I don't care what your friend there said before he died, but with the Egyptians, Greeks, and the Turks popping around, I doubt a simple Viking raid would result in an epic story told for millenia :P

Your post implies there was no proof of their having sailed the Mediteranean!

My post:

The Vikings did not go galavanting about in the Mediteranean at the time of the Greeks I don't care what your friend there said before he died, but with the Egyptians, Greeks, and the Turks popping around, I doubt a simple Viking raid would result in an epic story told for millenia

Your response:

and what time would that be since your on a roll and seem to know everything that wasnt historically documented

And the time would be the time of the Greeks, as I said! You really have no conceptualization of the time jumps your making here...

well, i'd like to add that you modified your post, making my post meaningless being i was responding to a question in your last point, I would also like to add that this was no simple viking raid, it seemed to be several put into one, but i cant see how someone would rely on a poem with gods and sea monsters as a historical document