Does anyone know some information on the Dune 2000 save file format?

shai

Practice

• Save name offset: D to 2E (34 characters) but D to DF works too
  • Cash offset: 24354
  • Music offset: E0 
  • Map name?: 0 to C

Story

• Save name offset: D to 2E (34 characters) but D to DF works too but will crash the game
  • Cash offset: 24354
  • Music offset: E0 
  • Map name?: 0 to C

----------

• In game saves are 1.45 MB (1,530,664 bytes) in size and map selection saves are 248 bytes 
Edited by Shai-Gel98
  • Upvote 3

can you tell??

It's in my second post:

save name offset: D to 2E (34 characters) but D to DF works too

cash offset: 24354

music offset: E0 

map name?: 0 to C

Dune 2000 save file settings (campaign).Location	Hex	Int	FunctionD8				number of mission briefing 00=none (means hanging game)EA				Scroll rateEE 		64	100	Gamespeed, 100=max speed (4byte)F0				SFX volume (2 byte)F4				Music volume

I found these, but I'm especially looking for the view location.

• Upvote 1

Dune 2000 save file settings (campaign).Location	Hex	Int	FunctionD8				number of mission briefing 00=none (means hanging game)EA				Scroll rateEE 		64	100	Gamespeed, 100=max speed (4byte)F0				SFX volume (2 byte)F4				Music volume

I found these, but I'm especially looking for the view location.

Good job, I'll make a wiki page. And be careful changing the save files because I had Dune 2K crash and lock up my computer.

Haha, having D2k crash, that happened today like 30 times. :) Sometimes it's even needed to get an error message that might help. Ctrl+alt+del to the rescue.

By the way, I think the save format saves the complete map layout (sand everything) and also for the maximum map size in d2k (since save files are so large in size), but this is more like a guess at the moment.

Edited by D2k Sardaukar
  • Upvote 1

Haha, having D2k crash, that happened today like 30 times. :) Sometimes it's even needed to get an error message that might help. Ctrl+alt+del to the rescue.

By the way, I think the save format saves the complete map layout (sand everything) and also for the maximum map size in d2k (since save files are so large in size), but this is more like a guess at the moment.

Yes, but why didn't Microsoft make the Task Manager open in the Ctrl+Alt+Del menu? I could not get to it! I was also thinking the same thing about the map saving with the save. 

EDIT: Yup, looks like it saves the map in bits and pieces. 

Edited by Shai-Gel98

Ah! Found some more stuff for the practice format

1754F5 Tileset

1755BD Tile attributes 

175685 Map file name

17575A Mis file

Edited by Shai-Gel98
  • Upvote 1

A lot of things in the save are randomly made. For example, I started a new game with Atreides and saved at the first frame. I then added a wall in the top left corner with the map editor and did the same. Lots of differences: 

GameSave.zip

• 2 weeks later...

I think we might have a serious problem. The game uses some sort of anti-manipulating-save-games method, because when you are in the world map to select your new mission/attack location you can save the game and with just a second between saves the saving layout changes a lot. The number/characters at location 5 seems to determine the layout. There is just 00 00 or 97 4B ("-K") or maybe more. If this value is the same only a few things between my test savings are different, I think just something like time or frame number etc.

I did figure out this:

Location	Hex	Int	Function04		00		00 = saved at world map, 01 = saved during battlefield

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Change of plans for the that save editor, it probably won't be out for a while and I may be offline for quite a lot of time. 

@D2k Sardaukar Are you still looking at the saves? 

• 2 months later...

By the way, 24354 is money not for all the Houses.

Only for Atreides missions. And in Multiplayer games -- for all the Houses.

Ordos and Harkonnen MISSIONS have different addresses for money.

this is told in one of d2k sardaukar's posts..

check it out there..