Vehicles

Jack Leaf

I think that here is allready this like topic, but whatever.

And now, let's get started.

Why everyone says that there is no vehicles in Dune books?

But first I will embrass some people :P :P :P (Maybe I just embrass me...)

I downloaded some Emperor: Battle for Dune mods, read this forum and messed with GURPS Dune.

If I ask you, is in the books more vehicles than harvesters, carrioles and ornithopters, you will say "no". Or I think so.

I said, that I downloaded EBFD mods and etc. I downloaded mod called "Novel rules" in the readme file there was something like this:

"...Because there is no vehicles in the books..."

and:

"...If you are confused read the books...."

I have read three first (Dune, Muad'Dib and The prophet) Dune books, and I say that there is vehicles (Ornis and etc. are vehicles, but I mean GROUND vehicles... Erm... No, not harvester, combat vehicles...).

Then I read a little this forum, "Dune risk" -thread:

...Infantry = 5 bal... (whatever)

Ornithopter: 15 whatevers...

Then I checked the GURPS Dune. Only vehicle that were mentioned on there was ornithopter.

Then I checked "Jesus' mods for Tribes" -site and - aah! Somebody has really read the books. Author of that site did really know, that there is combat ground vehicles in Dune books.

And now you say: "Prove it!!!!!!!11!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!11111!!!!!!!!" Or I think so. And I prove. There is two ground combat (not absolutely sure about the first) vehicles in Dune books, and both are mentioned in the first book. And yes, they are in Arrakis.

OK, first vehicle that is mentioned is jeep. Or a car. I think Jeep, and usually you can mount machine gun to jeep. The jeep is mentioned in the "scene", where Duke and his family [bold]rides[/bold] all around Arrakeen. If this is not true, I will curse that woman who made Finnish versions of the books.

And the second one. It's artillery cannon. Maybe called "Anxhorn", but I am not sure, because... Read above. "I will curse" start there ;)

Oh yes, and in which scene they are mentioned? I think everyone does know, that the doctor blackmails Duke in the first book. Some time after that baron thinks something about the artillery cannons and look to them. Or something. Anyway, there is [bold]moving[/bold] artillery in book.

Sorry about my bad English and have a nice day.

Thanks.

Sampsa dismisses.

And the second one. It's artillery cannon. Maybe called "Anxhorn", but I am not sure, because... Read above. "I will curse" start there

Oh yes, and in which scene they are mentioned? I think everyone does know, that the doctor blackmails Duke in the first book. Some time after that baron thinks something about the artillery cannons and look to them. Or something. Anyway, there is [bold]moving[/bold] artillery in book.

What did I say? They hear cannons. But now "my" Dune book is in Libary :-

So, apart from the harvester, you have identified the following ground vehicles:

Jeep, groundcar, etc.

Artillery

Artillery were not necessarily vehicular, besides which, were not in common use ever on arrakis.

And trying to ride any sort of vehicle in the desert would call a worm, doubtless. The simple vehicles were where there were no worms: cities, rocky areas, the southern polar cap.

artillary was very unconventional and very "primitive" as it is worded by baron harkonnen himself. It isnt exactly looked good upon either for that matter. Infantry is the mainstay of warfare in the duniverse. Air and space though obviously have their needed vehicles. from ornithopters that roam the skies. to monitors and frigates which slide through space. but on the ground, infantry is what matters. Because of the Great Stalemate there is a very limited and seemingly primitive form of warfare. It has been perfected and glorified and well, it is just plain better in my opinion than how we fight now.lol

heh, I would rather see that then somebody exploding from artilliry fire. I would rather see that than a gunshot that hit the lungs and watch as the guy sufficates because of the sucking wound taking away oxygen. I would rather see that then seeing organs burst, heads blow apart, brains splatter. Only our devilish weapons do those sorts of things.

Mostly used were air vehicles. Possibly suspension field isn't hard to make, so there could be many low-altitude hovercrafts (i.e. Sardaukar APC, which used jet engines as flamethrower against Fremen in one raid in Dune). Also primary vehicle between planets must be a spaceboat linked to Guild highliner. Mostly used are ornitoptheres. With tough and light material ornitopther would require much less fuel than things like helicopter. In 1960's was helicopter supposed by many people to replace cars, so Herbert just wanted to be original.

yes dear administrator, carving heart, eyes and guts out of someone with a knive is so much better then fighting with M1A2 and F16 ...

you are cRaZy ....

I started it? lol dude, your nuts. ;)

"Well, there is allways carrioles. If you can pickup harvesters with carrioles, you can pick up also tanks or something else"

Remember that ther's precious few areas where you can land the tanks! Don't use the games for reference; the amount of rock they use is misleading.

Besides which, carryalls would be expensive and vulnerable; surely armed ornis would be far better than tanks which had to land?