Defrag stops at 70%

Whenever I start up the Windows Defrag app, it goes fine up till 70%. At that, it seems to keep on defragging but no details are changed at 70% (that is, no 'blocks' are moved or added) and it lingers for a very long time, until I just stop it. Anybody know a thing about this?[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

It may still be working correct, all depends on computer and how badly fragmented it is.

If you were to leave it on all night or when you go away for awhile and come back it may be done, although be sure to turn off screensaver, auto shut off/standby etc.

on my win 98 old computer it woudl defragment for 4 or more hours sometimes, and it wouldnt show anything moving as i beleive it was doing it elsewhere and not where it was showing it.

When you said that 'no details are changed', do you see a that all the blocks are a deep blue colour? Is the screen full of the blue blocks? If this is the case, try scrolling down. If in doubt, try minimizing and then restoring the details window, just to make sure that windows hasn't crashed. If there's still intense disk activity, I'd leave the program to do its' job. It's likely to still be busy, it really depends on your processor speed, the size of your hard disk (how much stuff is on it), and how badly defragmented it is.

Also is it just me or does the win98 defragger do a better job than the winxp version?

Win 98 moves every block to a specicfic place while winxp it doesnt show it moving every block, and doesn't seem to put all the files together and fill up the free hard drive spots at first of hard drive.(ie. there is free space all over the hard drive and not in one section)

I miss Win 98 :'(

Did it work?