Getting into BIOS on WIN98se

I am pretty sure it can be set from MSCONFIG. I can't check it here at work because I am on an Win NT machine and msconfig is not part of that OS. I can check tonight for you. Maybe there should be a new thread for this.

I'll be here if you find it, thanks :)

Anybody might have a solution getting into the BIOS? I can press F8 to get into the command prompt/normal mode/safe mode option list, but not the BIOS. I need to set a password to the BIOS so my damn siblings can't get on my computer while I'm at school.

Oh, I am sorry I thought you wanted to get into the Windows menu. Doh! Have you tried the "delete" key instead of the Function keys? You may also want to try the "F1" key instead of the "F8" key. It's different for each type of BIOS/computer. What brand computer do you have?

Here is a quote from HP's website about accessing the BIOS:

Entering the BIOS Setup utility

Sometimes it can be a little tricky to get into the BIOS Setup screen because it requires pressing a specific key at a specific time. If you fail to enter the Setup screen on your first try, repeat the following steps until you are successful:

Close all applications that are currently running and restart the computer by clicking Start, Shut Down, Restart the Computer, and then OK.

When the blue HP Logo screen appears, press the F1 key on the keyboard to enter the HP BIOS Setup menu.

NOTE: An alternate to the above steps, especially if the blue HP Logo screen disappears too quickly to enter BIOS, is to shut down (turn off) the computer. Wait 30 seconds, turn the power on and press F1 at the blue HP Logo screen.

Here is the link to where I got this text:

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/get_doc.pl?SNI=pvpc&LC=personal_computing&Tfile=bph07110&Smplr=Y#P34_2158

I also am not sure on how to get to my bios.

Win xp, hp 7966 512ram p4 1.7

Your BIOS is not related to your OS or any hardware on your computer besides the mainboard. [ althgouh thanks for posting the info :) ]. It's a small. . let's call it programm embedded on your mainboard that handels "simple" controle features of it. Like what kind of hardware is installed on it, ste speed everything is running on, powersavings, basical things like that. [ simply put that is ]. You can get in it when your computer boots up as it's not a feature of the softwre installed on it, you have to do it before the software [ OS ]takes over. There are e few manufactures who provide programms with your MOBO that let you check it with the help of a Windows programm, Asus and Serverworks are a few of them, but I won't consider that option for now.

If you have a "home made" computer, you can usually get in your BIOS by pressing delete, F5 or F1. The key you have to press is noted when your computer boots up, next to the "energy star" logo, your bios version is displayed, belowd that your CPU and memory info. At the botom of that screen it say's press delete to enter BIOS [ or something like that ].

For the correct order, after the screen mentionen in the lines above this one, you get a screen looking like a table, it indicates the PCI card in your computer at the right, and the left table is displaying your hd, floppy and other devices like that, thi sscreen however isn't static on your screen but scrolls down as your computer boots up. Your OS takes over from there.