Yet another about Emperor versus XP

Erasculio

Well, I am feeling silly for doing a topic about this again, but I have tried somethings I have read here, and they kind of didn't work

I have just bought a computer with Xp (I was using Windows 98 until two weeks ago), so I still don't get to know well this software. Also, I am using Norton AntiVirus 2003, together with Internet Security of the same year.

From the beggining: I have installed Emperor, and it installed without any problem.

But, when I tried to start the game, all I could see was the Emperor: Battle for Dun sub-screen (the brown window), and then...nothing, as if I hadn't done anything. The computer would just ignore the game.

After looking around, I found this place and the patch (the file someone else used to fix this, with the other Emperor.exe file). So I unzipped the files within the patch, and I moved them to the Emperor directory.

Now, when I try to play the game, my computer just freezes...and it gives me an error message (it just says there was an error, it doesn't say which one).

So, I come to ask for help. I am sending the result of that DixDiag thing.

EDIT: By the way, I had forgotten. I have tried changing the Compatibilty settings for the Emperor short-cut to all the possible Windows, but in all of them I got the same problem. Changing the resolution didn't help, either.

Thanks for your attention.

Erasculio[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

What you could try is to copy the setup folder to your harrdrive and install it from there.

Since I did install it without any problem, I don't think that would help.

EDIT: Sorry, my mistake. I typed the wrong thing at my first message. I will edit it.

Another thing you might want to try is the install fix zip file. It's posted in the EBFD & Norton 2003 thread that I made sticky in this forum.

That's the file I was talking about when I said...

After looking around, I found this place and the patch (the file someone else used to fix this, with the other Emperor.exe file). So I unzipped the files within the patch, and I moved them to the Emperor directory.

Thanks for your reply, anyway.

Erasculio

I saw u use NTFS hardrive fromat , may that be reason!

but i'm not sure,try to install emperor in other hardrive like "D" with FAT32, u may also try to download another video card installer from Nvidia homepage and remove the old xp install.

1. I have NTFS system, and emperor works on it.

2. How did you install the patch? what patch? a fix? or a the newer emperor patch. Anyway i suggest that you get the newest emperor patch and install it (v1.09). But before you do this, uninstall and reinstall your emperor cuz i think it's fucked up now

Don't think your NTFS file system has anything to do with it. [ unless you havn't got acces to the Emperor files ]

I would start with new grafic drivers.

http://support.dell.com/FileLib/Type.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&Category=6&OS=WW1&OSL=EN&SvcTag=&SysID=DIM_PNT_P4_4550&DeviceID=2836

The Dell drivers. [ althought you could also use the nVidea ones below ]

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=winxp-2k_41.09

nVidea drivers.

ftp://ftp.westwood.com/pub/emperor/update/EM109EN.EXE

The Emperor patch. V1.09

Yes, downloading the drivver upgrades would be a logical idea.

Also I would recommend turning Norton off before playing and shutting down any background programs before you start up.

Also, I would try compatibility mode, and if you are not, try getting onto the Administrator for Windows XP.

Getting the pacth (1.09) is also a smart move, but I would SERIOUSLY try the ideas listed before also.

Well, I tried unistalling, then getting the new drivers, installing with the whole "Copy Setup" thing, turning off Norton AntiVirus, replacing the Emperor.exe by the Emperor.exe of the fix, and...

...it didn't work. It gave me an error message (not the one I was getting before) telling about an error in the "game.exe" file.

Erasculio

Well, the weirdest thing happened:

After everything I did, I decided to play some WarCraft III to relax.

But, to my surprise, it wasn't working anymore (but it was working this morning). It said something about having the wrong drivers or the wrong Direct X.

Then I panicked, because I know someone who has a computer like mine but is unable to play WarCraft. So I proceeded to try to unistall the driver I had just installed, and download a better Direct X (the 9.0).

I did all that, and now WarCraft III is working again (I can't connect to Battle Net, but I will fix that later).

And, to my surprise, Emperor is working, too!

I really don't know what happened there, but thanks, without your help I wouldn't be able to do that (whatever that was).

Erasculio

well i'm happy for you it's working, but i hate it that i still don't know why....

if you do find out the true reason, plz post it here. So we can learn from it..

thanx in advance, Rene Smeitink

You're doing a good Job Flame :)

As for this problem, look at his dxdiag output => the line of the dxdiag version:

DirectX Version: DirectX 8.2 (4.08.02.0134)

8.2 doesn't exist.

Good luck !

thanks a lot Nyar, are you back? Or only on occasion? I'd hope you come back, and if you do, you can take back you're tech support place, which is rightfully yours.

And yeah, i did see that (directx 8.2)... but i wasn't realy sure what could be the reason, as it's just a directx diagram, do you know what's the problem?

thanks a lot Nyar, are you back? Or only on occasion? I'd hope you come back, and if you do, you can take back you're tech support place, which is rightfully yours.

And yeah, i did see that (directx 8.2)... but i wasn't realy sure what could be the reason, as it's just a directx diagram, do you know what's the problem?

You keep your mod status. If you received it, you earned it :)

As far as the directx issue goes, it's screwed up due to some reason, which from the outside we're not able to determine (unfortunately).

so has anyone actually fixed this problem with windows xp, noone seems to have a definate answer. I want to play emperor please help lol!!

What problem are you refering to ? If you meen the origional from Erasculio, I thought it was fixed at this point.

Well, the weirdest thing happened:

I did all that, and now WarCraft III is working again And, to my surprise, Emperor is working, too!

(I can't connect to I really don't know what happened there, but thanks, without your help I wouldn't be able to do that (whatever that was).

[ and although we can't take the credit for it, which ofcourse we are never-the-less claiming, it seems to be solved at this time ]

If you are having the same problem though, . . well. . you probably know the drill. Could you post a small explenation of what's happening or is not happening, together with a copy of your DirectX diag file and we'll do what have a look at it.