Game keeps crashing at main menu

Schmo

Howdy folks. I am a big fan of all the dune games and I was stoked to get Emperor as it looks like it may be the best. I install the game for the 1st time and as soon as I start a campain it crashes to desktop. Now everytime I try to play the game I get 2 blue error screens at the main menu and it makes my desktop hella big. I have tried uninstall and reinstall, installed dx8 instead of 9 then went back to dx9, changed my screen size back down to 800x600 from 1024x768 and it still crashes in the same spot. I downloaded the updates to it for version 1.09 and it did not make a difference. Below are my specs of what I have and I hope to hear back from ya.

AMD XP 1.7

Asus A7V266-E mother board KT266A chipset

Asus Geforce 2 64mb Video card

512 ddr ram

Windows ME

I updated windows and it still crashes. I put my color on 16bit and started the tutorial. I made it about 5 minutes into it and it gives me blue error screens. I set the graphics to low in options and it still does the same thing. Help I really want to play this game, lol.[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

I think I may no what is making me crash, just dont know how to fix it. When I start the game and it gets to the menu it is fine, as soon as I move my mouse it gives me the errors I posted above. Is it possible that my mouse is making the game crash?

Downloaded the newest mouse software for my intellipoint mouse (ver 4.1) and when it is installing it says make sure that the file C:WINDOWSTemp_isD1621033.mst is there and that I can access it. Well it isnt there

That's fast . . .Jack just walked in here. What the h*ll did you do with him NaMpIgAi ?! He's all blue and beaten up !

Does the problem only occure with Dune Emperor, and have you ever tried it with an other OS then Windows ME. . ?

You couldt try to disable sound acceleration used by DirectX. Or reinstall you grafic and monitor drivers. Maby a new verion of the file vmcpd.vxd could solve it.

Have you got a version of WinAmp by any change installed on your PC ?

Think ME is cr**. Win'98 is much better. DOn't know if it will solve your problem. As the driver is DOS related. Switchin to a non-DOS Windows version would be better.

You might try the site of your Motherboard, they could have the latest USB drivers which contain the file.

Well I have come to the conclusion I am just not meant to play this game, I have updated my video drivers, windows, tried every type of refresh rate, tried screen size 800x600, it still crashes as soon as the menu starts to appear, gonna try to update my motherboard drivers next.

Just installing new driver version doesn't seem to help or be related to the problem. Do you know if your MOBO has a Cyrix 486DLC processor or a Cyrix FastMath coprocessor ? [ some VIA chips might also do the trick ]

[ edit: never mind .. . you've got one of them .. to late. . :- ]

It appears Windows '95, '98 and ME are having some problems related to those coprocessor and VP. There might be a way to avoid Emperor to conflict with Windows, although I havn't found any sofar. The only thing that should work is upgrading to Win2K or XP.

Eep, 12 dollar game gonna cost me 100 dollars to be able to play it (think that is the going rate for XP) lol. I even tried updating my mother board drivers and it is still no dice. Oh well, if ya find anymore things you wish me to try feel free to post them here. Thanks for the help:)

How would I install 98 over ME. I have heard that 98 is a very good os to run games in.

that is correct. WinME is not realy a games platform. Win98 is, and WinXP does realy well too. I don't know if formatting the shit, and then install XP is an option, as it takes time and perhaps there are important files on the comp that you want to store and you can't copy them on cd's or something.

Otherwise i'd say format the disk. Install windows XP (i hope you know how you do that, otherwise just ask before you format :) ) get all the newest drivers for your video card and stuff. Update to directx 9.0 (not necessary) and then install it. I'm sure dune2000 will work then. but like i said... only do this if that is an option.

I have had similar problems, quite often. Although, they usually are the result of some mistake I've made while editing the emperor files, but I do see a couple possibilities.

It could be that some of the program files aren't being accessed correctly by the game. Perhaps you should get duneex, extract the files, and see whether you computer has a problem with them.

This by far is a long shot, but try defragging. I remember I did not defrag on my earlier operating system (Windows ME) and I tried to install Generals and it would not go past the "Enter your serial number here." I had a whoping 3000 curropt files because I negleceted to defrag. I'm not actually sure if Microsoft imrpoved on their Corrupt file handeling on Windows XP or not, but it's worth a shot.