Emperor Server

Yes, it worked quite well until my comp crashed (must have been because rigel's comp crashed, so my comp locked up as well) ::). It was pretty slow against 6 AI players, even with graphics on low, but it was still playable. A definite alternative to WOL if it's ever shut down. :) Just make sure you have the graphics on low, and a decent connection (on 56k, it was a little choppy with 8 players all in the same game).

As i posted already on page 1 of this thread you can get the battlelan program that also allows EBFD lan play:

Download at: www.infoceptor.com/files/war3/battlelan.zip

Only the host has to run this program and fill in the ip's of the joigning players. After that the host creates a lan EBFD game and the joigning players only have to open a EBFD lan game and join it.

Have fun playing with a max of 8 players without using WOL

For some reason it is not possible to see the messages in the lan network lobby but once the host has started the lan game you will be able to send and receive messages when playing the game as on wol.

Put firewall off when hosting lan game

Also it does not seem to work when you are using a router

Put firewall off when hosting lan game

Also it does not seem to work when you are using a router

Yes. Very good point. There is a *HUGE* amount of special code in the "internet" connection code to specifically deal with firewalls, routers, NATs, etc. When you play in 'LAN' mode, you will not be using any of that code.. and will have problems with firewalls, routers, NATs, etc.

I seem to recall some .INI setting to allow you to tweek some of the lighter aspects of this.

--Chris

Yeah I tried yesterday with Rogue and Rigel but I couldn't get it to work with either of them, I had my firewall down and Norton off (since it causes wicked problems with Emperor). But every thing I tried didn't work. Finally I told rig I remembered my Router has a built in firewall and it was probably the culprit.

upon contacting my routers tech support they told me in order for me to be able to use connect I have to have certain ports open. They checked their database and to my surprise they had the game listed and the guy told me what ports to open.

Trigger port Incoming port

3840~3840 3840~3840

4000~4020 4000~4020

7000~7000 7000~7000

I havent gotten hold of anyone to try it since I changed my settings but hope it solved the problem. :-

• 3 weeks later...

Procedure to follow to play EBFD lan game without WOL:

1. the host has to receive all ip's of the players joigning the lan party

2. disable internet security and virus scanners

3. only the host starts the battlelan program and fills in the ip's of all joigning members by using "add button" and when all ip's are there you press "start button"

4. The host minimizes battlelan program in the background ( it has to stay on! )

5. The joigning players start up EBFD game and use the local network lobby ( lan game in options )

6. The host does the same as in (5) and will see all the joigning players in the lan lobby

7. The host creates a game and the others join it

Remarks:

1) Read the readme file of the battlelan program before you start!

2) The chat is not working in lan lobby, it will work when playing

3) Using a router will cause problems to join, unless you unlock the required ports

The ip's used in the pic are pure fictional [attachment archived by Gobalopper]