Vices of the Dune universe

TMA_1

I have noticed that drugs in the dune universe have relatively been an untargeted vice. Many people have done them without question. I have noticed as well that most of these drugs come from ecaz. Also, spice not only contains ingrediants that prolong life and help the immune system, but also give a person a pretty good high. Also, sexual behavior seems to be somewhat open in certain places. I have noticed that this is where fuedel law goes in action. Though there is a loose confederacy of planets under the rule of an emperor of House Corrino, that each fiefdom is controlled by individual laws and strictures. It seems that the emperor does not really have a lot of power over everyday life. Seems like also things are so hectic in the Dune universe that many of these things come into play about the Vices of Dune. What do you guys think?

Well, the universe uses a feudal type class structure. Because of the size of the imperium, the Emperor only has the ability to control what affects him (i.e. taxes, wars, etc). He would only care about the smaller things if it affected him (i.e. a peasant revolt may affect the amount of taxes he gets from Baron X). As far as the smaller things go, the individual lords would control things.

For example, compare the Atreides and the Harkonnens. The Atreides respected the workers of Caladan, and the people loved their Duke, whereas the Harkonnens opressed their slaves, which got them to work, but the possibility of a revolt would be much greater (a revolt would probably only start if it wee influenced by someone on the outside, by the way).

Similarly, laws were different on every world. Semuta might be illegal on Caladan, but it might be an everyday thing among the people (non-slaves) of Geidi Prime.

huh spice was the most presious thing in the universe, something in the dune apendex about it being like 80,000 solars to a ounce at one time.

now how is a peasent going to offerd 80,000 or even less to sprinke spice onto his food.

The Atreiedes Royal Family was never adicted to spice. Spice adiction is caracterized by blue withen blue eyes, the atreides and people of the imperium didnt have this.

Well, most people didn't cultivate addictions of the Fremen style. And the spice purchased by peasants and poorer people is heavily diluted to the point where it is only about 1/20 actual spice. The rest could just be digestible powders, or even some small amounts of sand.