Can't Connect in mIRC

I used to use mIRC a few months ago, but just stopped for a while...I tried using it again today, but I can't connect to any servers. I've tried like 30 different ones.

I am almost certain the problem is my router. It's the only thing about my comp that has changed since I last used mIRC. I've looked at my router's manual, tried several irchelp guides, but nothing seems to work. I'm alredy the DMZ host of the network, I've tried forwarding ports, all sorts of connection settings, and I've completely turned off my software firewall while I'm doing this. I'm stumped. I don't know where to turn next.

Any help would be miraculous, and extremely appreciated.

BTW if you're still trying to figure out what mIRC stand for, don't bother...

I use a router to share internet between my PC's at home and have never had a problem connecting to IRC. What server are you trying to get to? I know Dalnet is having some serious problems. I don't think it is something you need to do to your router. I am assuming you have some kind of broadband internet connection and that you are using dynamic IP addresses. If you were having router problems I think you would not be able to get online. Try connecting to undernet and see if you are having the same problem.

Sorry didn't see in your original post that you had tried 30 servers already. What kind of error messages are you getting? Does your router have Firewall software enabled? That could be the problem. You may want to turn off the internal router firewall to check it out. If you want to run the firewall you will have to let MIRC be a trusted app.

Ugh...Turns out the computer needs a restart before port forwarding settings take effect.

*smacks self*

It works now. But you're right, I still can't get on DALnet or EFnet. If DALnet's down, then good news for me, but EFnet was my usual server. You havn't trouble connecting to it as well?

This is just an FYI post.

Apparently in the FAQ on EFNet's site :

http://www.efnet.org/faq/

They have the answer for the unauthorized access. Just search for this string on the FAQ link:

"Why am I not authorized to use server x? What is an I:line?"

Not sure that I understand the explanation, but they have one. EFNet also has a list of available servers:

http://www.efnet.org/servers/

That is how I was able to find a working server.

Ok thanks, good to know it's not just me.

I just solved a slew of problems with DCC, XDCC, and CTCP caused by my router, and it feels like there's not a damn thing I don't know about mIRC anymore....Amazing how quickly a few hours of teching familiarizes you with something you knew otherwise nothing about.

The online FAQs and the help file are almost useless you really really really don't know what you're doing...