Sound thingy

ok Nyar, perhaps you know the sollution to this.

I have a PC with a 60 gb maxtor HD (7200 rpm/UDMA 100) and it works fine. Except that it now makes a noice when you start the computer up. Let me explain:

At first, i thought there was a cable in a cooler, i checked it and couldn't find it. Also, the noice is gone when i restart the computer a couple of times (and with that also the HD ofcourse). So at first i thought that this problem was still the cooler, cuz i just shaked the comp box a bit and it was over in like 5 restarts? (don't laugh) However if i start the computer up with the noice and shut it down, and start it up again, the sound is also gone, so the problem is not the cooler. Also i found it a bit too much of a coincidence that with every startup you have to restart like 5/6 times.

Conclusion!: it has something to do with the hard drive, and it has some sort of time limit. Like it needs to be started up about 25 seconds and then it's ok. Well, so now i got this conclusion, and wonder what the problem is, but read on.

My thought was that it migt perhaps be the room temperature. Now in the winter, my room is usually a bit colder than normal and i thought, perhaps my HD needs to warm up a bit. Cuz when i had my "verwarming" (didn't know the english word) is high i did not have the problem (at least, i don't think so, but i'm not entirely sure). So what can it be? I think it's the HD, cuz it happens at startup and the noice comes from somewhere in the upper side of the case (DVD/CD-RW and HD) so it must be the HD.

if you did not get the story, ask me to post it in dutch cuz english kinda bugs me here with all those terms

You're english is good enough and I understand :)

If you're still not exactly sure where the noise comes from, I'd say locate it first, before drawing conclusions. And before you've done that, there's little I can do.

Try to locate the problem and when found, do get back to me.

Also, if you want to make sure the heater (verwarming) solves your problem, be sure to try it out again. If it doesn, make sure your room stays on temprature ;D

:) is that all you can come up with? :) i checked and i checked, an i'm about 90% positive it comes from the HD.

Well... perhaps i'll see if my HD is not right in the case or something.. perhaps the HD is fucked up and gonna crash in approx. 2 months... ah well.. i'll c.. thnx anyway

This is quite along shot, but I had a server MOBO ones with a onboard raid controler. One of them was defect, and that coused one of my HD to town off-on every ones in a while. Those ones-in-a-whiles became seconds after just a few days. Not to mention the fact that my Linux kernel was on it so the entire system crashed all the time :-

Anyway, if you'r using Win2000, WinXP and I think WinME to. . there should be an event log. I thought it was under the "system log" part, but if it is your HD, or HD controler you can find a "atapi" "HD failure" or an error simular to that in that log.

But then it has to occore also when your computer has passed the boot secuence.

And it only applies if it has got somethig to do with your HD. If not, the above is compleatly worthless ;D

And you remember those guy's from the universety in Twente a couple of years back ?

They wanted to play Quale on a 468, placed it in a fridge and overclocked the thing, overclocked it massively ;D

[ anyway, that just slipped into my mind :- ]

A noise? Maybe its your HD trying to crash..whats it sound like? A click click sound?

no... i have that sound too... but that's just cuz my HD is lazy.. it crashed one time, but there was no damage

however Nyar, i have tested it in a warm room again, and yes :) the sound thingy is gone :)

so it has to do with temperature...

When you say the cooling fan is fine do you mean that the fan on the power supply is fine? The only reason I ask is because I had a weird sound emanating from my old PC years ago and the sound would go away just like you mentioned after a few restarts. Anyways the sound stopped completely after a while and I started to smell something like an electrical fire and put my hand to the back of my PC and the thing was very hot. The power supply fan died on me and I had to replace it (the whole power supply). That same PC still runs fine today without any weird sounds. Just thought I would share one of my experiences that sounds similar to the one you mention.

however Nyar, i have tested it in a warm room again, and yes :) the sound thingy is gone :)

so it has to do with temperature...

So I already solved the issue in the first reply ;D

Make sure there aren't to many/to big temprature changes in the room of the comp. It can cause condensation (condens) within your computer (especially if you just used the computer and the room is chilly). Condensation is a killer for computer parts..