dual athlon XPs part 2

OK, a friend of mine bought 2 with the intention of modding them to run as dual MPs (see the other athlon thread here). Now we replaced the motherboard, processors and everything. turned it on - "CPU 01 does not support MP dual processing", ok I expected that (we had not modded either processor yet). SO lets try it with just 1 processor - problem. When it starts up it gets to the screen- Windows did not properly start up please select an opyion below:

safe mode

safe mode with networking

safe mode - command prompt

use previous working settings

normal startup

Now, on every choice the computer freezes completely. Either that or it complains about a corrupt INI file or other file related corruptions. Any ideas? Is it simply that we've set it up incorrectly (hardware). We cannot reformat as the recovery discs (both ME and 2000) both crash before they can start up (freeze).

Did you get a sort of terminator connector with the motherboard.

When you're using just one CPU you can't just leave the other one open [ in some cases ], that's where some manufactors provide a sort of terminator to place in the CPU socket.

[ and I can vagely remember something about Athlons MP's, don't know if they can work individually

:- ]

:O :O

Hhi

i'm new here, and it's my first post.

:P

I have a dual amd processors system, and it works greatly

I have 2 amp mp processors.

I don't know if you can use an XP processor to work with dual thread motherboard.

Why do you use an xp processor ?

Actually, you can work with one processor, without a "terminator", but you should use an MP processor.

forget win Me, 98, 2000 => you must work with NT 4.0, win XP pro.

ANd you can calibrate your machine by the bios (it is not easy, but use the notice).

Before the calibration, search the voltage of your cpus, ram, the frequency of your rams, etc., to adjust all jumpers on the motherboard. Then, you can configure the bios.

My english isn't really, because i'm french.

SORRY :P ;)

bye