Mouse in Windows xp (new system)

The visible cursor keeps stopping, but you can still use it - you just have to anticipate where it is. What is wrong? Is it a simple problem with xp? Do you need more info?

Thankyou.

Do you mean the cursor stays put in one spot on the screen, but you can still select other objects on the screen? or do you mean the cursor disappears completly, but you can still anticipate where the position of the cursor is and select things? If it is the first case I would agree there is something with the configuration of the mouse and you should look into updating the drivers and or check your cable (could be loose). The second case sounds like a graphics problem to me and I would make sure all of your devices are configured correctly in the Start->Settings->Control Panel->system->Device Manager screen (Windows 9X, could be different on XP). There may be some other device (Graphics card) causing this problem. The more info you can provide the more we can help.

Calibration? I thought that had been left behind in DOS. I'll look into it.

It's a standard wheel mouse, new windows mouse drivers (I use another computer, so I haven't got the version no. here).

"Do you mean the cursor stays put in one spot on the screen, but you can still select other objects on the screen? "

Yes. The cursor graphic remains static, but the 'ghost' of the cursor can be used, therefore the cable is working.

The graphics setup might be at fault - the system can't find a newer driver to install, but none of the setting that I've found my way into look wrong. The PC has a flatscreen (15") monitor, if that's relevant.