Miniseries Updates

Mahdi

Wow, it's been along time since I last posted a news article. Wonder if I still remember how to do it...

The Sci-Fi channel put up the new official miniseries site for Children of Dune on November 26, and it's a doozy. Chock-full of info, (amazing) images, a family tree, concept art, biographys of the cast and crew, and even a couple of downloads. It's more than worth the time it takes to go through it all. They've also got a new description of the miniseries up:

THE ATREIDES DYNASTY IS UNDER SIEGE....

Under Paul "Muad'dib" Atreides' rule as Emperor, the planet Arrakis has enjoyed a renaissance. However, the revolution that Muad'dib inspired has transformed into a brutal jihad that has plunged all of humanity into a bitter, neverending cycle of interstellar war.

Now a conspiracy on Arrakis threatens to rob Muad'dib of his throne and his life. The future of all of humanity might well rest in the hands of Muad'dib's young, vulnerable heirs - Leto II and his sister, Ghanima. Idealistic young Leto, however, fiercely resists his destiny as a force for sweeping changes, both on Arrakis and in the universe at large.

Unfortunately, the time for Leto to take action is drawing near, and friends and enemies are difficult to tell apart on Arrakis, where the only thing more precious than water is the Spice, a substance found only on Arrakis that makes possible interstellar space travel; extends life; and bestows nigh-miraculous insight.

With the rule of Arrakis and the freedom of all humanity hanging in the balance, Leto must risk sacrificing his own humanity in order to save those who would see him destroyed.

Whew, glad to see that Leto isn't fighting for the "future of freedom" anymore, although I don't remember him resisting his destiny all that much. I'm getting the impression from this that wemay not be seeing the God-Emperor until the very end of the miniseries. Wonder if that's due to budget constraints (his super-strength/speed may cost a pretty penny) or if Harrison always planned it that way? The URL for this new site is the same as the old, http://scifi.com/dune/.

Speaking of websites, if you got to scifi.com you'll notice a new front page has been added featuring the miniseries Taken, with COD also holding a prominant palce. I'm betting in another couple months after Taken airs and we're closer to March that'll be changing and we'll be seeing the sci-fi channel start to hype up COD as much as they're hyping up COD, which means new news daily.

In older news that I noticed hasn't been mentioned here yet, the Internet Movie Database announced awile back that the miniseries will be airing in March 2003 on the Sci-Fi channel.

For those of you living in Canada I've been asking Mark Askwith, a producer with SPACE: The Imagination Station once a month about whether or not they've started negotiating for the COD rights yet, and so far the answer is no. BUT they are planning on re-airing the original miniseries in February, about a month before Children of Dune debuts. He claims it's entirly a coincidence, but I wonder... No word yet on when it will be airing in other countries.

CHUM will buy it, City will air it a week or two after sci-fi, and then a few months down the road so will Space, just like the last time around. They just haven't entered negotioations for it yet. I don't think post-production has even finished yet. Once it does, then, hopefully, the negotioations will begin.

Andrewabc: Too long, even with an intermission. Four and a half hours is a long time to sit watching a movie. Plus, it probably wouldn'tmake enough money.

sneezer3: Kinda. We switch newspublisher things a little while back, and I don't know the coding it uses, so I have to copy and paste it from the FAQ.

i sat and watched the dune miniseries for the first time for 6 hours on space. 8)

But you had ahalf hour ofcommercials interspaced there where youc ould get up, stretch, go to the bathroom and could eat and drink your won, non-movie theatre food.

Not everyone could sitlike that either.

I'mnot saying Iw ouldn't want to see it in theatres, jsut that I understand why they're not doing it.

They did air the trailer in some select theatres last time,maybe they will this time too.

• 1 month later...

well you could buy a ticket that entitles you to see the whole movie on selected nights, over a "3" night period. watch the first part one night, and the rest on other nights.

new trailors up..must see..very good. i want more crack. oops i mean COD. ;)