is the Golden Age of RTSing dead forever?

Navaros

Emperor is long-dead and soon WOL will no longer exist.

WarCraft 3 blows chunks.

So I ask, is there anything good on the horizon that Emperor veterans would enjoy, to play online competitively against other people, in Ladders etc?

I don't wanna hear anything about EA schlock or anything that uses GameSpy(Ware!) either.

I fear the only good place left to play online games is Battlenet, but Blizzard RTS games all suck major butt

Should I abandon all hope now? Is the glory days of free, meaningful internet RTS play gone forever?

well I am still crossing my fingers on Dune Generations :- hoping it still gets released. If it does and is still gonna be pay to play I hope its worth the money ;D

does anyone know if they are still gonna use the beta testers that registered?

I mentioned this in your other thread in which everyone posted why they hate you =)

Okay, Gob is talking about Age of Mythology. If you like AOE, then you would probably like this. I haven't played the demo but it sounds like a good idea. Each side (even sub sides like a group for a specific Greek god) has some different units and different attributes and a special power. I would assume, due to AOE's popularity, that the online system for the game will be great.

Another game just released is Crusader: Stronghold. It is a game where you build and defend a castle. It sounds like an interesting take on RTS to me. You can put people on the walls as defense, use moats, and even dump boiling oil on a siege force. I haven't played it myself but it sounds promising.

AND NAV---> I remember we talked about Battle Realms in another thread. You should consider that game. They have or are about to release an expansion for the game called winter of the wolf. It will be packaged with the original game. The company has been releasing packages and tending to the game, kinda like Blizzard does. The company is called Liquid. From what I remember on the message boards for the game, they ACTUALLY ASK ABOUT CHANGES FOR THE GAME and make them. They listen and interact with you. I think there are even foot prints left in the snow in the expansion, which is something people wanted to see.

The only downside to the game is that it uses gamespy. However, the expansion fixes some of the code or something to improve the online I think. You can also meet up with other players without gamespy.

check http://www.battlerealms.com

If that sire is correct, it should have more info.

the developers of battle realms do seem to have supported their game well. if only they had something like battlenet or won.net or WOL to back up their work, i'd definitely be signed up

i loathe gamespy with a passion. I remember a time when you could download *anything off of VilePlanet with NO HASSLE at all! I remember a time when gamespyWare.com didn't invade your eyes with obscene ads that materialize over the words you are in the middle of reading! death to gamespy! sadly, that is reason enough for a boycott of battle realms. the new stronghold also seems like a great concept, but yet another great concept to flush down the drain due to the gamespy involvement.

I must admit that the Age of Mythology game's graphics are UBER - probably the best graphics of any RTS game *ever*... but giving cash to Microsoft, the most loathsome and detestable corporation in this universe... makes me feel like vomiting profusely. If only another company could have made it.

The PC gaming industry sure is going downhill. Does anyone remember mplayer.com? That used to rock until it got taken over by gamespyWare...

Yeah, I've got to agree about gamespy. Fileplanet is a major pain in the ass whenever I need a Half-Life or Counder Strike update. They make you register just to download, and then they try and get you to subscribe to your "personal server" so you can avoid the arbitrary wait times they pin on you. On the other hand I really like their www.planet[gamename].com websites, but it bugs me how they only link to fileplanet, and how their affiliates only link to fileplanet.

I find it difficult to buy "Lost Souls" after buying E2150, and The Moon Project. It appears to be the same game yet again, with new missions. :-

I will wait till it hits the sale bin for about $5.00, or so.

Also, Age of Mythology looks great but I do not Trust MS to not put spyware into the game. Also, no matter HOW Bad GameSpy is, MS's Zone is the worst thing out there. Talk about jmping through hoops! gag! Have not been on it for over a year now.

Spoot

Well, I know Battle Realms uses gamespy. I haven't played online, but it is still a great game and very challenging.

As for Stronghold, I never said that uses gamespy. To be honest, I have no idea how they do their multiplayer. Have you checked up on the game to verify that it is on gamespy.

Besides, why pass on a great game despite the online method. Give it a try....I think Battle Realms WITH the expansion only costs like $25 or something like that.