Legends of Dune

NeoDevilbane

Hmmm... according to KA/BH it seems the whole purpose behind writing/releasing this "Legends of Dune" prequel trilogy in the era of the Butlerian Jihad is more or less to put "necessary" background bits and stuff they *must* do that will "lead into" Dune 7.

In short, what kind of B.S. is this? Are we supposed to believe that Frank Herbert was really going to stop after Dune 6 (Chapterhouse: Dune), sit down, and start leading up to Dune 7 by going back 10,000 years, writing about the Jihad and then going back before Dune and tell the oh-so necessary tale of how Paul grew pubes before diving into Dune 7? No! He had Dune 7 all outlined and ready to start being worked on.

KA/BH are stalling... they *fear* Dune 7, though with good reason. I believe up until the point that they are actually writing Dune 7 and not just filling in blanks in the timeline with misc. books (see the ludicrously & ill-conceived "Paul of Dune" and these "Legends of Dune" books), they won't really be *TRULY* attempting to emulate Frank Herbert's work.

Let's face it, Dune 7 will be billed as the completion of Frank Herbert's Dune masterwork. As far as I'm aware, there were no outlines for House Atreides, House Harkonnen, or House Corrino by Frank, just notes about misc. things from that era that KA/BH went on. For Dune 7, there IS an outline to go off of, AND notes... for all intents and purposes KA & BH will be attempting to fill Frank's boots for the first time in Dune 7. I just wish they'd stop being so chicken-shit, quit the B.S. posturing and milking the franchise by doing books we don't need, and just dive into it already.

What do you guys think?

Btw : For the record, I have no doubt the "Legends of Dune" & "Paul of Dune" books will be excellent reads (at least as good as the "Prelude to Dune" books, anyway) and be meticulously weaved into the Dune timeline proper. But are these books necessary? Maybe KA/BH, with the "House" books selling well, are getting pressure from Bantam to whore the Dune name out for more books... and maybe the fanboys in them have no problem with that, I don't know. I just don't want to see the Dune book series become like the Star Wars books... I have no wish to see "Dune: The Young Dune Chronicles," "Dune: The Junior Dune Chronicles," "Dune: The Courtship of Irulan," or "Dune: Heir to the Empire." If KA/BH wanted to "warm up" for Dune 7 by writing House Atreides, Harkonnen, and Corrino, that's cool and I've got no real problem with that... but the line should have been drawn there. If they want to do good by Frank Herbert, then they need to quit jerking off around the bush and complete Dune 7, the only unpublished book we know for a fact was left unwritten because of his death.

- Neo

I think your right that they aren't necessary, but I also think that it is just below necessary to have those books at our disposals for a more in-depth understanding of Dune. Instead of saying "computers...bad computers take us over...we fought back and won..." we could now go into detail and talk about it.