Dune Language / Etymology

nemafakei

There have been a few threads on this, so this time, I'm going to start by saying I've already got to work on it.

What I've done is looked through the roots of words throughout The Book's appendix and compared them. What I've found is syllables with idea-meanings - although they're not obvious unless you're analysing stems.

Bear in ming that the basic alphabet will be different to ours, so I'll change how the words look sometimes.

Well I am not sure but from what I see.  The fremen of arrakis obviously have roots in arabic. example Shaitan

and Alam-almythal. The other languages I dont know. maybe a mix of many languages. the imperial language seems to be this. the DE has a good idea bout it. :)

Ok, these are only rough estimates, but here goes...

LA - Negative (easy one)

IB - Wisdom  (note this doesn't mean literally wisdom, just represents the idea of it)

NA - Nominated [eg Naib]

WA - Adventure

MOA - Guide (ie long, omegate a)

DI - Heaven [hence Moadi, Moad diib]

MU - Extravagance (Note the hate of fremen for this) [Mu Zein Wallah, Mudir Naya]

KAi - Indicates reverence [Kaifai, Barakai, Faramai]

S(H)Ai - Desert (terrible) [shaitan, Shai-Hulud, Shai-Nama]

I had to alter the spelling from a point of view that this was a spoken language. More to come when I'm more definite on some things.

• 5 weeks later...

Mahdi is a Arabic word which has its routes in the Otoman Empire

The Great Poet Bedridden had a potentel great  future in polotics but insted But he bacame a great Guru capturing the wildness of the frontire land, convincing many people, Christiens amog them,  that he was the Mahdi the comeing of the end of the world. So that the Ottomans who had grown imperial, hangged him from a tree in the Sarres in 1426