what would YOU change?

neonext

As you probably know, I am in the process of recreating Dune 2. This is my 2nd game written in C++ using DirectX. Keep that in mind - I'm still learning :)

Anyways, I could use some help designing the game.

If you had a chance to make Dune 2 a better game, without turning it into a different game like Dune 2000, what would you change?

In another topic, Select had some good ideas. I'm sure he doesn't mind me copying his list (IMO his post actually belongs in this topic hehe). Here it is along with what i think about the ideas:

1. Lets keep graphics, but make them in 32 bit palette

- Agreed, making the graphics too much different changes the game too much. 16 and 32 bit color is already in, and I will possibly make the graphics look better in other ways.

2. Keep the units but improve their animation and attack effects and sounds.

- I'm not too sure about this one. Perhaps there can be improvements to unit attacks later, but changing movement animations would probably require re-doing all the unit artwork.

3. Add multiplayer modes: serial, lan, internet

- I don't think anyone can argue with that, although it won't be very easy to implement (I don't know DirectPlay yet). I do plan on adding this feature, but it will likely be one of the last things.

4. Drag box to select units

- Already in, and there is no limit to the amount of units you can select.

5. Production cues

- Queues will be great, I definitally want to add them. Each structure which can build units will have its own queue, and I'm considering allowing a queue for the construction yard too (it would make placing down single squares of concrete slabs a lot easier)

6. Add ctrl + #

- In some shape or form I will add this, but I don't think I can combine key presses until I put DirectInput in, which I also haven't learned yet =D

7. More maps

- A map editor will be ready for the first version, and skirmish mode will randomly create maps based on the user's settings. I will likely put the user submitted maps in the game.

8. Skirmish mode

- I'm about halfway done with a true skirmish mode (I have lots of AI code to write still).

9. Visual map creator

- See #7

10. More units (in numbers)

- There will be a low limit, but hopefully not nearly as low as Dune 2. This is one of the things I'm not sure about, but I don't want to overfill maps with units and I don't want to allow the gameplay to become too unbalanced. This is best figured out from play testing.

11. Chating while multiplayer

I know it will in some way make the game similar to Dune 2000 but I want to keep the style of Dune II. Maybe if Westwood would release the source....

- lol

12. Infantry - very fast

- Why should infantry be faster than quads or trikes? If we want to solve the problem of it taking forever for infantry to make it to the enemy's base, why don't we add a trasport vehicle?

13. Troopers to kiling vehicles and buildings, but invisible to turrets from distance.

- huh?

14. Set controlled Ornis, to chose between the targets: units, buildings, defend base

- I have no idea how I will be controlling air units, I will consider this as one of the options.

Please, if you have any ideas on how to improve the game, I'd love to hear them.

800x600 (OR Self Choose) Res...

And Use the original pictures (Building List)

MULTIPLAYER is GREAT

IF you can make CO-OP CAMPAGIN LAN, that would be PERFECT!

Good idea to finish a improved dune2

What about Calling it: Dune2 - Golden Goal??

That was the first think that fell into my head!

Golden Goal? Odd idea.

'The rebuilding of a dynasty'?

'Yet another Battle for Arrakis'?

But of course, it's your game, so do as you will.

Sorry if I've repeated things...

More control for harvs, like recall, set spice fields, etc.

More than just two aircraft

Realistic damage models

And what are the gfx going to look like?

800x600 (OR Self Choose) Res...

And Use the original pictures (Building List)

800x600 is just one of the 10 selectable resolutions, and so far almost all of the art

is straight out of Dune 2. I will take some screen shots soon.

MULTIPLAYER is GREAT

IF you can make CO-OP CAMPAGIN LAN, that would be PERFECT!

That is a great idea!

What about Calling it: Dune2 - Golden Goal??

That was the first think that fell into my head!

lol you have been watching too much world cup =)

'The rebuilding of a dynasty'?

'Yet another Battle for Arrakis'?

But of course, it's your game, so do as you will.

I think someone took 'The rebuilding of a dynasty' already. I haven't really even begun to think of a name yet, but I'm still very open to ideas.

Sorry if I've repeated things...

More control for harvs, like recall, set spice fields, etc.

I'm interested in this idea, can you explain further?

More than just two aircraft

Realistic damage models

Both these ideas are good. I probably won't add them for awhile, but they will be on the list.

And what are the gfx going to look like?

The graphics will pretty much look exactly like Dune 2, only sharper due to higher resolutions (and the higher resolution you have, the more map you can see, and the more build options you can see at one time). Right now you can see the whole map at 1600x1200, but the units are TINYYYYY. I'm considering doubling the size for all the units, which will actually make them look better, because the pixels will blend together and it won't look so 'blocky'.

You could add cut scenes, where in fact they are rotating pictures, with text appearing and someone reading them. It isn't classy but also isn't too bad.

This would be nice, although I am not an artist and I would need help with this.

What about:

Dune2: The history has changed? or

Dune3000: The Time Machine (Why not)

You look like a quite skilled programmer...

Can i get some part of the source, so i can see how its built up?

Im so skilled that i can make a variable....

I'll see if I can help with the graphics if you tell me the formats you are using.

Harvester control...

Perhaps a mini panel with harvester controls in a corner of the screen with buttons for harvester commands... Stop, Harvest (in a particular field - you'd then select the field), return to Refinery, Get Picked up by carryall and stay airborne, etc.

You might do this so:

You can select one harvester, and use any of these commands on that one harvester, and have a button to select all harvesters (even those in carryalls) so you can tell all of them to do this.

Or:

You can just have the command panel for use with all harvesters.

What about:

Dune2: The history has changed? or

Dune3000: The Time Machine (Why not)

You look like a quite skilled programmer...

Can i get some part of the source, so i can see how its built up?

Im so skilled that i can make a variable....

Sorry, there are no plans to release any of the source yet. If you have any more ideas, keep them coming.

I'll see if I can help with the graphics if you tell me the formats you are using.

They will be in editable bmp format (meaning nearly all the art will not be packed in the exe, so people can easily edit the images). I've got all the units, structures, and interface graphics handled so far. What I really need now is menu graphics. The menu graphics are currently 24-bit bmp's that are 320 pixels wide and 240 pixels high

Harvester control...

Perhaps a mini panel with harvester controls in a corner of the screen with buttons for harvester commands... Stop, Harvest (in a particular field - you'd then select the field), return to Refinery, Get Picked up by carryall and stay airborne, etc.

You might do this so:

You can select one harvester, and use any of these commands on that one harvester, and have a button to select all harvesters (even those in carryalls) so you can tell all of them to do this.

Or: You can just have the command panel for use with all harvesters.

I think I know a good place to put this. Should you be able to do all these with hotkeys?

what do you guys think about the ability to sell structures, C&C style?

also, what do you think about adding the ability to turn structures off? For example you just got a windtrap destroyed, and now all your rocket turrets won't fire rockets, and so you turn your radar off so you can get enough juice to power the turrets again. I'm considering making power limitations to more structures if I use this (factory producing at half speed, etc).

Nice! Well, at first I didn't even know what redux means, but now that I do, I think it's a great name!

In fact I love it so much I'm officially taking it ;D

Thanks! How do you want your name in the credits? ;)

Command and Conquer has 32 degrees of facing directions for its units. Dune 2 has half as many (only up, down, left, right, and the 4 diagonals). Also, for both games, there are no movement animations for the units. Infantry are the only ones that have movement animation and there are only about 3 frames per direction in Dune 2, and I believe there was only 3 directions in their images (you never see infantry actually walking diagonaly in Dune 2). You should see how many frames of animation there are for C&C's infantry, it's one of the reasons why I decided to make the switch (some of them have over 800 frames).

As far as structures, explosions, and everything else, I'm not too worried about it, because there is barely any art for those too. They really had to cut down on the amount of video memory used for Dune 2, and it shows.

I plan on making this game as MOD'able as possible. Having bmp's makes it easier for both the mod'ers and for me.

my first game (meaning my first real attempt at a game in this programming language, i've been making games since i was a kid) was a clone of civilization 2. i nearly finished it, but it kinda got out of control. i wanted to start anew which what i've learned, so i decided to recreate command and conquer. i was getting pretty far with that when i realized dune 2 would suit better because it would take a lot less time to finish, and therefore i could concentrate more on making it good. plus i really loved dune 2 and i think an improved dune 2 would be awesome, because there are little annoying things about dune 2 (like having to click each individual unit, press a key or click a button, and then click to give the order, and also having no multiplayer or skirmish modes).

i'm slowly building a basic website to show screen shots, features, and other things from Dune 2: Redux and i will put a link to my 1st game there. i'll let you and everyone else know when it's ready