Sign in to follow this  
firefly101

Worms made to attack Infantry?

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a way to make Worms swallow Infantry they way they do Vehicles. There must be a hex number or something that allows this?

thanks

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

In TibEd, this is encoded in the flag "MoveInfantryZone" for each unit, which on a hex editor represents byte (0x100 * n + 0x11 in Templates.bin file, where n is the Unit ID).

My experiments seem to tell me that setting determines if the unit is an Infantry or a Vehicle:

• MoveInfantryZone (in TibEd; this looks more like "IsInfantry". Values: 00 , 01)
                        * If not an infantry:
                            (1) The unit occupies a full square and not a sub-square.
                            (2) The unit no longer moves into infantry-only zones.
                            (3) The unit loses its firing and death animations (and perhaps the death voice too?)
                            (4) The unit emits smoke at half-health
                            (5) The unit is no longer eligible to be ejected from a sold building. In this case the next available infantry, e.g. the Trooper is used instead
                            (6) The unit is eligible for worm attack

The last point is the item you are looking for. Unfortunately, this control comes as a single switch that controls several things at once. It is not yet certain if finer controls exist for each individual items. If not, you might need some heavier editing (either through other files, e.g. hide the smoke by figuring out invisible smoke, or editing the game executable itself which is not trivial) if you need just the worm attack.

Edited by lovalmidas

Thank you for the reply, i was afraid of that. I suspected something similar, but I thought it didn't hurt to ask if there was some way. The game was made a long time ago and one can see the difference in the engine from Dune2000 to Emperor, at least on ease of editing.

Well I small work around was to allow the worm to Crush Infantry, I watched a worm chance a unit and crush them, which is not bad, but the swallowing would have been nice!

Just now, firefly101 said:

Well I small work around was to allow the worm to Crush Infantry, I watched a worm chance a unit and crush them, which is not bad, but the swallowing would have been nice!

lmao. That's an interesting workaround. I like the idea. Hey, if your mod is going to involve mostly infantry, you can change the sprites for the infantry crush deaths. Make them get sucked into the ground. Even if a Harvester crushes one, the infantry will still appear to be pulled under the vehicle, so that could work. What do you think?

That's another good idea, one I had as well, but we'd need the worm's sprites to be increased in size to really sell that mechanic. I'd love to make the worm attack a 3x3 sort of attack, but I haven't had any luck scaling up the worm's sprites in any remotely decent way.