Can't Recognize Dune 2k GruntMods Edition with OBS.

Fedaygin

Howdies. Thanks for this o/ My OBS Streaming client doesn't show Dune 2000 even after i choose it from the list at 'Game Capture' scene :/ It's shown as Dune2k '65fps' on the list.

You know how to fix it ?

Kindly: Fedaygin

3 hours ago, Fedaygin said:

Howdies. Thanks for this o/ My OBS Streaming client doesn't show Dune 2000 even after i choose it from the list at 'Game Capture' scene 😕 It's shown as Dune2k '65fps' on the list.

You know how to fix it ?

Hey mate! Welcome to the club. You starting D2k map runs on your YouTube channel or something?

The cause of this issue might be because of the video options. Find the "Dune2000Config" executable in your Gruntmods D2k installation folder, head to Video Options, and try ticking off "Enable DxWnd" and maybe "GDI Mode" too. GDI Mode usually resolves visual problems like that, and should allow the game to be picked up by OBS.

I use Display Capture with OBS, that picks up D2k for me. I just cut out the parts of the clip with my desktop or whatever in it.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Fey
  • Upvote 1

@SwordMaster Thanks good to be in the Dune / Arrakis Club :) I was thinking of Streaming Dune2k & Maybe also Emperor: Battle for Dune in my Twitch channel www.twitch.tv/fedaygin 😃 I disabled those via Video Options, but didn't help. Then i tried Windowed mode, but doesn't work cause OBS Studio doesn't recognize Dune 2k when using windowed mode in OBS. Strange :o :/

Windowed mode only recognizes Gruntmods.net launcher. Game capture recognizes Dune 2000.exe, but then no image like wrote first. So guess i try Display Capture next like you've got it to work. I'll edit this after tried later today.

EDIT: Got it working with Display Capture :) So weird to have same Rat button for movement & attack. If i recall first C&C that came out in -95 had attack & movement for two buttons like it should be & Dune2K was released 3x years later. Also can't que construction in Dune 2K, but can do it in Dune 2 that was released in -92. Weird :D 

Edited by Fedaygin

21 hours ago, Fedaygin said:

@SwordMaster Thanks good to be in the Dune / Arrakis Club :) I was thinking of Streaming Dune2k & Maybe also Emperor: Battle for Dune in my Twitch channel www.twitch.tv/fedaygin 😃 I disabled those via Video Options, but didn't help. Then i tried Windowed mode, but doesn't work cause OBS Studio doesn't recognize Dune 2k when using windowed mode in OBS. Strange 😮 😕

Windowed mode only recognizes Gruntmods.net launcher. Game capture recognizes Dune 2000.exe, but then no image like wrote first. So guess i try Display Capture next like you've got it to work. I'll edit this after tried later today.

EDIT: Got it working with Display Capture :) So weird to have same Rat button for movement & attack. If i recall first C&C that came out in -95 had attack & movement for two buttons like it should be & Dune2K was released 3x years later. Also can't que construction in Dune 2K, but can do it in Dune 2 that was released in -92. Weird :D 

Glad to hear you got it working, mate!

If you plan to stream, you'll be happy to know that Dune 2000 comes with TONS of additional content. Not only are the original campaigns a whole 27 levels totaling 45 maps, but there is a whole crapton of original content for the game. Here's a link to an index full of original content for D2k:
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27756-all-completed-mods-and-tools-index-dune-2000/

The original content varies in style and quality, but you can bet your butt there's some fine stuff there. While older campaigns may have been designed with limited tools, newer ones have superior AI enhancements, mods, and more. I, myself, have created a tileset allowing D2k to be taken off Arrakis and up to space in the Heighliner tileset! (https://i.imgur.com/6USFCxP.png) Which is linked in the above index, under the "Heighliner Mini-Campaign."

If you enjoy that one, I have another completed campaign totaling fifteen missions using the latest advancements in modding and gameplay knowledge. Suped-up AIs, fun, fast-paced gameplay, and unique missions often with multiple objectives, non-linear progression, and optional hard modes. That one's also on the index, under "Smugglers Campaign" by yours truly.

To install any campaigns, it's very easy. Downloading takes seconds thanks to the minuscule file size. Usually, you'll only find mission files (.mis, .map, and .ini), and those go in your main D2k directory > data > Missions.
Directory.png.c64c77495435125a696d3c57687de299.png
Once you've got the missions in the folder, you should be able to start them by using the Mission Launcher application in your main D2k directory. Boot that up, select All Missions, and navigate to the faction you'd like to play.

Hope that helps you get started, mate! And hey, give us a stream schedule when ya get the chance. :)

Edited by Fey
Forgot to mention the Mission Launcher.
  • Upvote 1

Hey Swordmaster. 

Thanks for letting me know :) I've now added Smugglers Campaign files by following instructions at readme file. Gonna check soon if can launch it with the way you wrote here & also this Hieighliner Mini-Campaign x) I didn't know about mission launcher so good that you wrote it. I love the Sountrack in Dune 2000 & even more in Emperor: Battle for Dune. It's nice surprise to see so much fan made content for Dune2K :o 

Atm. my stream schedule isn't solid cause of Insomnia troubling so prob. should deactivate my old schedule at my page. Trying to do some streaming around 21-22 EEST. Now is 13:53 EEST. Good saturday to you & other Arrakis Dwellers o/

5 hours ago, Fedaygin said:

Hey Swordmaster. 

Thanks for letting me know :) I've now added Smugglers Campaign files by following instructions at readme file. Gonna check soon if can launch it with the way you wrote here & also this Hieighliner Mini-Campaign x)

FYI, the smugglers campaign is modded! However, uninstallation is a very simple copy + paste too by using the backup data folder, so hopefully it's not too much of a bother. The Heighliner mini-campaign isn't modded because I designed it explicitly to demonstrate the tileset. Its aesthetics, strengths, weaknesses, and of course to show that no additional modding is actually required at all to get it to work.

I'm not really an artist, but I do a little bit of spritework here or there.

D2k works in a lot of weird ways, like if you wanted the ground structures could be placed on to not be orange, say you wanted it to be blue, you would need to overwrite a core game file. This would affect all other maps in a campaign, causing blue craters to appear under buildings on Arrakis maps placed on orange rock. XD So, it's that sort of thing the tileset is built to be compatible with.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy those campaigns. :) I'd love to hear back from you if you have comments to make about 'em. Any criticism or compliments help, any mapper would say! It helps us know what we should do more of and what we should avoid doing again, or should do differently. If not, it's cool. Enjoy and stuff.

I love the Sountrack in Dune 2000 & even more in Emperor: Battle for Dune. It's nice surprise to see so much fan made content for Dune2K 😮

Dude, the Emperor soundtrack is my freakin' jam, man. :D And some of the ideas in my mod were inspired by Emperor. The Heighliner tileset isn't part of my mod, but I certainly use it! And there's even a Guild mega-turret I did the spritework for. I call it the Storm Lasher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me-gH4G_1xA (SPOILER ALERT) Here's a demonstration video for the Storm Lasher, or 'SLasher' for short. D2k has many limitations, so it's not like I could make a teleporting NIAB tank or a genuine Guild megaturret, but Storm Lashers and Shock Raiders are definitely inspired by those Guild units.

Atm. my stream schedule isn't solid cause of Insomnia troubling so prob. should deactivate my old schedule at my page. Trying to do some streaming around 21-22 EEST. Now is 13:53 EEST. Good saturday to you & other Arrakis Dwellers o/

Oh, damn, I know that feeling. I get insomnia too; if I'm not totally exhausted, I wind up laying down and not getting a wink for hours. Dunno how that works, but yeah. lol

Edited by Fey
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Fedaygin said:

Thanks for letting me know :) I've now added Smugglers Campaign files by following instructions at readme file. Gonna check soon if can launch it with the way you wrote here & also this Hieighliner Mini-Campaign x) I didn't know about mission launcher so good that you wrote it. I love the Sountrack in Dune 2000 & even more in Emperor: Battle for Dune. It's nice surprise to see so much fan made content for Dune2K :o 

Hi, Fey already say it, but I want to clarify.

Some of the custom campaigns and/or maps make use of some files that will mod the game. Dunno if you know about the tool "Tibed", which allow to change the tech tree (money cost, speed of the unit, etc...) of several westwood RTS, including dune 2000.

This means that if you play Fey's smuggler campaign, it's not the same with or without those modded files. For example, the ref cost 600 more credits, upgrades are also expensive, grenadiers are available to take out the tons of infantry he designed for his campaign, etc... .

it requires copy and paste some files; your computer will said something about "those files already exists, overwrite?", so be extra carefull with that. You can create back up of your files or just getting the ones provided on the zip close enough. I usually add a "back up" folder with them, just in case. But not all people may add the vanilla files and, if you forget to do your own back up; your game (even the original westwood-made maps) will change forever, making units to appear where they weren't intended (Harkonnen with Fremen, Ordos with the missile tank, etc...) Take this as a warning.

I'll say only 10-15% of the campaigns available have this type of modding, there are plenty of them that don't need anything extra but the core files (the map themselves).

But yeah; there are actually 45 different campaigns made. You have enough material to try and play for days.

Ps: Just in case you are interested: I recreated the very last map for Dune Emperor here, for Dune 2000. I mod the units to make some kind of contaminator, leecher and the Tleilaxu Living turrets (so yeah, this map mod the files).
You can't even play this map withouth the files because the player will win instatly (the building doesn't exist in the vanilla set up; only with my modded files).

I will show this image just as proof:
https://forum.dune2k.com/uploads/monthly_2018_04/5adbd13292198_Assault2(H).jpg.93fc45739e292dc7aadae7c8ddb23cca.jpg

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Cm_blast said:

Hi, Fey already say it, but I want to clarify.

Some of the custom campaigns and/or maps make use of some files that will mod the game. Dunno if you know about the tool "Tibed", which allow to change the tech tree (money cost, speed of the unit, etc...) of several westwood RTS, including dune 2000.

This means that if you play Fey's smuggler campaign, it's not the same with or without those modded files. For example, the ref cost 600 more credits, upgrades are also expensive, grenadiers are available to take out the tons of infantry he designed for his campaign, etc... .

it requires copy and paste some files; your computer will said something about "those files already exists, overwrite?", so be extra carefull with that. You can create back up of your files or just getting the ones provided on the zip close enough. I usually add a "back up" folder with them, just in case. But not all people may add the vanilla files and, if you forget to do your own back up; your game (even the original westwood-made maps) will change forever, making units to appear where they weren't intended (Harkonnen with Fremen, Ordos with the missile tank, etc...) Take this as a warning.

I'll say only 10-15% of the campaigns available have this type of modding, there are plenty of them that don't need anything extra but the core files (the map themselves).

But yeah; there are actually 45 different campaigns made. You have enough material to try and play for days.

Ps: Just in case you are interested: I recreated the very last map for Dune Emperor here, for Dune 2000. I mod the units to make some kind of contaminator, leecher and the Tleilaxu Living turrets (so yeah, this map mod the files).
You can't even play this map withouth the files because the player will win instatly (the building doesn't exist in the vanilla set up; only with my modded files).

I will show this image just as proof:
https://forum.dune2k.com/uploads/monthly_2018_04/5adbd13292198_Assault2(H).jpg.93fc45739e292dc7aadae7c8ddb23cca.jpg

Aye, always good to keep backups. The backup data folder I included contains the vanilla stuff like it's meant to be since Cm and I take great caution in our uploads, but as he pointed out and as I'll emphasize now, the smugglers campaign is designed to be played with the included mod. :) And other campaigns might not provide a backup folder, so you'd need to backup manually. We weren't always so thorough!

Also, Cm's Emperor maps are awesome. He did NIAB tanks (minus the teleporting), they have a lightningy attack and the Tleilaxu get special turrets. My adaptation differs.

Edited by Fey
  • Upvote 1