Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TaxOwlbear

Let's Play Dune

13 posts in this topic

Hello everyone and welcome to Dune. Most of you will be familiar with Dune, but in case you are not: Dune is a 1992 strategy adventure hybrid based on the Dune franchise, especially David Lynch's Dune film. Story-wise, the game follows neither the novels nor the films. Instead, you take the role of Paul Atreides who (together with his family) has been permitted by Emperor Shaddam IV. to go to Dune and harvest the precious spice melange.

However, the evil Harkonnen are already there, and you two are unlikely to get along well. In Dune, which was developed independently from Dune II, your goal is to unite the Fremen tribes, harvest spice, build up an army and ultimately drive the Harkonnen off Dune. Can we do all this?

Anyway, I hope you join me on my journey. :)

Opening

Part 1: Spice Shall Flow

The beginning of Dune is not linear, but there is a set series of things you are supposed to do. Of course you can just do other things, such as wandering off into the desert (probably gets you killed) or entering Harkonnen airspace (certainly gets you killed).

Part 2: The Sleeper Must Awaken

With the plot being a bit different, a new mechanic enters the game: We have to send the Emperor a shipment of spice every couple of days or else we will be recalled from Arrakis. It's not much of an issue, but it does put you under some pressure and prevents you from just harvesting all the spice in the beginning.

Part 3: Bribery

14 hours ago, TaxOwlbear said:

With the plot being a bit different, a new mechanic enters the game: We have to send the Emperor a shipment of spice every couple of days or else we will be recalled from Arrakis.

Recalled? Nah. Quite the contrary; you'll become a semi-permanent feature of the desert landscape, after he sends his Sardaukar after you :P

Edited by Nyerguds

Oh, I never had that happen. When I die, it's usually because I lose a battle. Too bad the Fremen suck compared to the Harkonnen, much unlike how it's in the book. :D

This time, we search for the Fremen leader! I'm not quite sure what the game wants Stilgar to be. He is a respected sietch leader in the novels and films, but here they can't seem to decide whether or not he is some sort of super chieftain or just another Fremen leader.

Part 4: Desert Lead

The Harkonnen make their move and attack one of our territories. There isn't much we can do about it at this point, but soon enough, we will have an army strong enough to strike back.

Part 8: Assault from the North

The parts have been re-arranged, hence the seventh episode is missing.

The Harkonnen continue to harass us, but we are already training troops to take back what we lost. So far, it's not too bad; we still have enough Spice to pay the Emperor and buy equipment, which is what matters right now.

Part 9: Losing Ground

It's time to meet the last important NPC: Liet Kynes the planetologist. he gives us access to bulbs, which unlocks the third possible occupation for the Fremen: Ecologist. Ecologists can grow plants on Dune and deny access to a region to the Harkonnen. However, growing plants also destroys Spice, so don't grow plants in Spice-rich regions!

Part 10: Meeting Liet Kynes

We can now train ecologist Fremen. These are probably the least useful ones, but it's okay to turn a couple of tribes with 500 members or less into ecologist Fremen. There's only so many warriors and spice miners you need anyway.

Part 11: Biological Warfare