Sign in to follow this  
exatreide

Spin that record Usul!

Picked this up at the local record store in the soundtrack section. Had to get it.

It sounds quite amazing with a bunch of bass on the opening theme.

4LRxhgc.jpg

The David Lynch movie doesn't even use the name "Usul" though, does it? :P

...or was that the miniseries made later? I don't quite remember, except that it bothered me.

Neither use Usul, but we know, we know deep down.

Nice find, I had found the CD version myself a bunch of years ago and told myself I had to get it as well. Still have it :) I forget if it's soundtrack or music from, but there are voices from the movies in parts of the music.

Usul means in turkisn, person who are wery slient, who dont speak much but listen others, person who can move without seein by others.

Dont know what does it mean in arabic.

USUL أصول Fremen: 'The base of the pillar.' This is the name given to Paul by the Fremem Chieftain Stilgar. The Arabic root A-S-L أصل means "base". Usul is the plural, and is used for "basis", "principles", "methods" as well, like in Usul Al Fiqh أصول الفقه which is the science of principles of jurisprudence.

Source: Arabic and Islamic themes in Frank Herbert's "Dune"
  • Upvote 1

Didnt know frank herberts used real arabic in novels. I was think he just take arabic words and put his own kind meanings to tham. Btw still turkish meaning of usul sounds better to me.

Funily enough, it is quite close to the Dutch word for "pillar", which is "zuil".