Dune 2000 rpg

THE AQIB

I think Dune RPG sounds awesome! but you can't turn Dune 2000 engine into a RPG game. Each game genre got their own engine. Let's have a look at Doom 3 and they use id Tech 4 to build a game, storyline and weapons but you can turn FPS into FPS/RPG like Strife.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strife_(video_game)

Strife was the first FPS/RPG game enter into the market but the engine was uses Doom engine(id Tech 1).

I don't know what kind of RPG game you want to create.

Edit: you can't create RTS/RPG game because they are different genre imo. Sorry about that :(. Hope this helps.

I think Dune RPG sounds awesome! but you can't turn Dune 2000 engine into a RPG game. Each game genre got their own engine. Let's have a look at Doom 3 and they use id Tech 4 to build a game, storyline and weapons but you can turn FPS into FPS/RPG like Strife.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strife_(video_game)

Strife was the first FPS/RPG game enter into the market but the engine was uses Doom engine(id Tech 1).

I don't know what kind of RPG game you want to create.

Edit: you can't create RTS/RPG game because they are different genre imo. Sorry about that :(. Hope this helps.

well age of empires warcraft 3 nd age of mythology support rpg through triggers..

I'm downloading age of mythology rpg for fun..

well I've succeeded a bit in dune 2000 but I think it won't move further than a point on westwood dune 2000 engine..

I can make a specific dune rpg engine for fun that is if others can help me in making it..

well I've played less rpgs can someone tell me the best rpg??

well age of empires warcraft 3 nd age of mythology support rpg through triggers..

I'm downloading age of mythology rpg for fun..

well I've succeeded a bit in dune 2000 but I think it won't move further than a point on westwood dune 2000 engine..

I can make a specific dune rpg engine for fun that is if others can help me in making it..

well I've played less rpgs can someone tell me the best rpg??

warcraft 3 has awesome editors & tools released by the devs, that's why i's possible. Just think for a second at this dune2k engine, it is so freaking self explanatory. :)

• Upvote 2

warcraft 3 has awesome editors & tools released by the devs, that's why i's possible. Just think for a second at this dune2k engine, it is so freaking self explanatory. :)

However, WC3 has only a soft counter system. For a hard counter system like dune2000 (infantry/tanks), you need something else. If you are going to look in that direction. Then I suggest trying SC2. It allows a hard counter system, and RPG elements.

• Upvote 1

However, WC3 has only a soft counter system. For a hard counter system like dune2000 (infantry/tanks), you need something else. If you are going to look in that direction. Then I suggest trying SC2. It allows a hard counter system, and RPG elements.

what is soft counter and hard counter??

starcraft 2??

is there any rpg only engine??

Ok, let's say you have 4 units

Rifle Infantry

Trooper

Quad

Trike

Each can defeat the next unit with ease. Given that on each type is spend the same amount of money and each unit is the same strength:

Only 1 Rifle Infantry dies, when 3 troopers die.

Only 1 Trooper dies, when 3 Quads die.

Only 1 Quad dies, when 3 Trike's die.

Only 1 Trike dies, when 3 Rifle Infantry die.

The ratio 1 to 3 is a hard counter. You simply overwhelm your opponent with the right units.

Soft counters work the same, but then it is between 1 and 2. Meaning, you can heavily damage a second opponent. But never kill it. You see this a lot in blizzard games. This doesn't take away that you can overwhelm you opponent though. Because the death ratio during fights grows for the losing party, and shrinks for the winning party.

But what has it to do with the game engines? This is because of the damage effectiveness.

If you take a look at the damage effectiveness. Then outgoing and incoming damage are divided by each other.

100% damage on the enemy, and the enemy does 100% damage on you. Gives a 1 to 1 death ratio.

66% damage on the enemy, and the enemy does 66% damage on you. Gives again a 1 to 1 death ratio.

However, when you do 100% damage on the enemy, and only 66% returns. Then the ratio will be like 1 to 1,5 death ratio. A soft counter.

Let's say, your weapon actually does 140% damage on the enemy, and only 66% returns. Then the ratio will be like 1 to 2,1 death ratio. A hard counter.

Of course, there are extremes like only 10% or 300% damages. But they aren't possible with all the engines.

Here is the link to the damage table for Warcraft3 and the Frozen Throne:

http://classic.battle.net/war3/basics/armorandweapontypes.shtml

You can't play with Armor, since Armor adjusts all the weapons with the same factor. And the damage table is fixed. You cannot change it. You can only appoint types to your units. Further more, the table is a mess. The adjusted the table with time.

Starcraft2 does not have that system. It went back to the system of starcraft 1 with the armor reduction on damage. Fast or multiple weapons take more from armor. The damage table like in Starcraft 1, is removed. You can now say, a unit does 5 extra damage on a particular type. Meaning, if you want an unit to be 50% effective against unit A and 150% effective against unit B. You simply have 5 damage. Then you add 10 damage more against the type of B.

However, I find the SC2 editor HELL. Way to complicated. I rather not spend my time on it.

PS

both games allow hero's. SC2 however, allows every unit to be a hero, with infinite levels. So you can cap it your own. And you are not stuck with 10 of 20 levels.

ver, I find the SC2 editor HELL. Way to complicated. I rather not spend my time on it.

PS

both games allow hero's. SC2 however, allows every unit to be a hero, with infinite levels. So you can cap it your own. And you are not stuck with 10 of 20 levels.

And that's why these blizzard games suck monkey balls

In other words, a Dune2000 RPG would suck monkey balls as well?

Those monkeys will be happy.

Unless u r Bruce almighty I guess monkeys will come nd suck each other's balls instead of creating rpg for which the discussion is going on here..

Well dune 2000 rpg will be good in hard counter..

but if we do build the rpg the second thing it'll desperately need is a storyline..

any ideas or should I ask monkey's balls??

• Upvote 1

You didn't understand a thing from what I said  :happy:

i'd say ask the balls.

What I said wasn't aimed at you AQIB. But at what he said. Perhaps I should keep quoting those things.

He doesn't like Blizzard because of the RPG elements. Right?

And there for he doesn't like the RPG idea?

Following, just tips. You can ignore them if you want.

Anyway. Story line is up to you. Make sure it is a story line where you can have several path's of power ups. And if you choose one, the player would benefit from it in another path. Like special powers or something. That is what RPG is about.

Although, I frankly don't know what kind of special powers you could get in a Dune2k universe. The hero unit would seem to need several weapons to learn:

- anti infantry weapons,

- anti tank weapons.

- something against air.

- something to cope with worms

- something for personal resource gathering (in WOW you could gather minerals and then buy stuff, instead of earning by killing)

- Perhaps something to out range turrets.

- super weapons that take time and energy to charge.

Also to have several ways of defending:

- Something against incoming projectiles. Like having lots of speed.

- Automatic-al dodging behaviour.

- Changing your type nature: infantry, armoured, flying? With flying, think of the shadow team like in C&C3.

- cloak/stealth (with energy depletion that can be upgraded)

- super shield that take time and energy to charge.

Base your story and "quests" on the things he/she would need to learn.

A quest for sneaking in a base: requires stealth.

A quest for taking out a lot of infantry: requires super shield and a big splash weapon like fire.

A quest for crossing a lot of sand filled with worms: being fast or being a flyer. Of course there is anti air or snipers in wait. If you have both requirements, you can switch.

The monkey balls salute you.

• Upvote 1

What I said wasn't aimed at you AQIB. But at what he said. Perhaps I should keep quoting those things.

He doesn't like Blizzard because of the RPG elements. Right?

And there for he doesn't like the RPG idea?

Following, just tips. You can ignore them if you want.

Anyway. Story line is up to you. Make sure it is a story line where you can have several path's of power ups. And if you choose one, the player would benefit from it in another path. Like special powers or something. That is what RPG is about.

Although, I frankly don't know what kind of special powers you could get in a Dune2k universe. The hero unit would seem to need several weapons to learn:

- anti infantry weapons,

- anti tank weapons.

- something against air.

- something to cope with worms

- something for personal resource gathering (in WOW you could gather minerals and then buy stuff, instead of earning by killing)

- Perhaps something to out range turrets.

- super weapons that take time and energy to charge.

Also to have several ways of defending:

- Something against incoming projectiles. Like having lots of speed.

- Automatic-al dodging behaviour.

- Changing your type nature: infantry, armoured, flying? With flying, think of the shadow team like in C&C3.

- cloak/stealth (with energy depletion that can be upgraded)

- super shield that take time and energy to charge.

Base your story and "quests" on the things he/she would need to learn.

A quest for sneaking in a base: requires stealth.

A quest for taking out a lot of infantry: requires super shield and a big splash weapon like fire.

A quest for crossing a lot of sand filled with worms: being fast or being a flyer. Of course there is anti air or snipers in wait. If you have both requirements, you can switch.

The monkey balls salute you.

well we can make the main unit the commander who in time has to choose the house he'll enlist himself..

same as in dune 2000 the lady ellara transports us on an imperial liner to arrakis..

and the story begins where slowly we rank up until we can control movements of vast armies..

add in treachery, secrets, action, blood freezing events, eyecandy, and different way of playing with dune elements I guess an rpg is possible..

but it'll be hard to implement this into an rpg engine..

I've been working on rts engine..

but I don't think rpg engine from scratch is that possible..

I'll see how good is rpg maker..

can anyone tell me a good rpg game.. ??

maybe add stuff like enterable vehicles.

shields are not usable on arrakis, but conventional metallic shields can be used.

weapons other thn projectile one also??

wht are the non projectile weapons in dune??

And finally a question.. Is a dune rpg worth it??

well we can make the main unit the commander who in time has to choose the house he'll enlist himself..

same as in dune 2000 the lady ellara transports us on an imperial liner to arrakis..

and the story begins where slowly we rank up until we can control movements of vast armies..

add in treachery, secrets, action, blood freezing events, eyecandy, and different way of playing with dune elements I guess an rpg is possible..

but it'll be hard to implement this into an rpg engine..

I've been working on rts engine..

but I don't think rpg engine from scratch is that possible..

I'll see how good is rpg maker..

can anyone tell me a good rpg game.. ??

maybe add stuff like enterable vehicles.

shields are not usable on arrakis, but conventional metallic shields can be used.

weapons other thn projectile one also??

wht are the non projectile weapons in dune??

And finally a question.. Is a dune rpg worth it??

No, I'd rather say make it similar to C&C Renegade. You can enter tanks, acquire weapons etc. Yes, I am in for support powers like superweapons and some "skills", but please don't add the "leveling up" thing, that sux balls ;) You can have enabled more advanced powers/weapons every mission & so on, no need of having levels.

No, I'd rather say make it similar to C&C Renegade. You can enter tanks, acquire weapons etc. Yes, I am in for support powers like superweapons and some "skills", but please don't add the "leveling up" thing, that sux balls ;) You can have enabled more advanced powers/weapons every mission & so on, no need of having levels.

then I guess your idea kinda bt nt completely ,deviates from rpg..

however in rpg the whole game is build on 4-5 maps as I saw in Diablo 2..

but I gt bored while playing Diablo 2 halfway..

when I think about dune rpg I get the idea I described above..

also as I have less experience in rpg I have least knowledge on different types of rpg..

well either we make it the way I described above or play as a refugee who fights his way to the top..

ending is killing the emperor..

but can dune take any other form other thn rpg..??

ok, this sounds interesting. i think the E:BfD engine would be more appropriate.

or maybe some open source for red alert where you can really modify the engine. the problem with Dune2000 is it's bad infantry graphics. everything else is ok, but infantry is ugly as hell. also camera is way closer to the character in rpg, while for rts is sky high... and that's a problem when attacking grouped enemies. in rpg it really matters who you hit first so you might want to be a little more zoomed in for better targeting.

i'd look for some open source rts if i were you and see how can i go from there.

ok, this sounds interesting. i think the E:BfD engine would be more appropriate.

or maybe some open source for red alert where you can really modify the engine. the problem with Dune2000 is it's bad infantry graphics. everything else is ok, but infantry is ugly as hell. also camera is way closer to the character in rpg, while for rts is sky high... and that's a problem when attacking grouped enemies. in rpg it really matters who you hit first so you might want to be a little more zoomed in for better targeting.

i'd look for some open source rts if i were you and see how can i go from there.

have u played ago empires 1and 2 and also age of mythology..??

it can work with camera and do in-game cinematics also..

I haven't modded the game that much but it is possible..