Dune 2000 on linux with wine

Dacfoyle

Hi, anyone tried Dune2000 on linux with wine ? For me it runs with one major problem, screen scrolling and mouse animation is extremely fast, therefore the game is unplayable.

This looks like the same problem which happens on Windows also, and the fix was to enable vsync in the graphics driver. Unfortunately this does not work on linux. On Windows I used an Ati Radeon, and an intel integrated HD2000 on linux.

Any ideas? Maybe I should try that radeon in the linux machine.

• 8 months later...

I Eventually got Dune 2000 to run, properly.

No bugs, not to fast, no sound or scrolling anomalies, no hanging every couple of seconds.

I Tried it under wine, but it ran too fast, the scrolling was way too fast, even if you switch the scroll speed way down and it hanged every couple of seconds.

I Also tried in an Oracle VirtualBox Running XP and Windows 98SE, with the same issues,

I Eventually Got Dune 2000 working in openSUSE 12.2 64 bit, under a Oracle VirtualBox, running Windows 95.

Here is what you'll need:

1. Windows 95 Install Disk

2. Windows 98SE Install Disk

3. SciTech Display Driver, which can be downloaded from: 4. https://www.dropbox.com/s/226caou8x0jf8vm/scitech-display-doctor-7.iso

5. Dune 2000 Disk

Step 1.

Setup a VirtualBox with the following settings:

Hard Drive 4GB

Memory 512MB

Enable IO APIC

1CPU

Enable PAE/NX

No CPU Throttling

Sound Set to emulate Sound Blaster 16

Do Not enable:

VT-x/AMD-V

or Nested Paging

Under the Display settings under Oracle VirtualBox, I set the share memory size to 32MB, I also enabled 3D & 2D Acceleration.

Step 2.

Start the system with the Windows 98SE Disk. (The reason for this is that the 98SE Disk is bootable, but the 95 Disk isn't)

Select Boot computer with cd-rom support.

go:

D:

cd WIN98

fdisk

create 4GB Primary Partition and set it as active.

(It should automatically set it as active)

After creating the partition, the system will reboot.

Boot with the 98 Disk again & select boot system with cd-rom support.

go:

d:

cd WIN98

format c: /S

/S to copy system files

Step 3.

Insert Windows 95 Disk into CD-Rom.

c:

md WIN95

d:

cd WIN95

copy D:\WIN95\*.* C:\WIN95 /Y

c:

cd WIN95

setup

Step 4.

Install Windows 95

Install SciTech Display Driver.

(The SciTech Download is an iso, so you can mount it like you would a cd-rom drive.

Enable SciTech Display Driver, enable driver only, do not enable any extended features.

(for more info see: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=9918  )

Change Resolution to 1024 x 768 16Bit

Step 5.

Install Dune2000

Step 6.

Enjoy!!!!!!

To be honest I tried running it in XP, but with no luck, the game would run, but the map scrolling was incredibly fast, and the game would hang and then resume every couple of seconds.

It just wouldn't run properly, no matter what I tried....

Ps. to get it to run, without crashing, as soon as you started a mission, in XP, I had to disable "extended" 3D support in directX (dxdiag).

Oh, yes, sorry I see I left something out in my initial post.

Under the Display settings under Oracle VirtualBox, I set the share memory size to 32MB, I also enabled 3D & 2D Acceleration.

I Now edited the original post, and included this, as well.

To be honest I tried running it in XP, but with no luck, the game would run, but the map scrolling was incredibly fast, and the game would hang and then resume every couple of seconds.

It just wouldn't run properly, no matter what I tried....

Ps. to get it to run, without crashing, as soon as you started a mission, in XP, I had to disable "extended" 3D support in directX (dxdiag).

Oh, yes, sorry I see I left something out in my initial post.

I Now edited the original post, and included this, as well.

Maybe its something with oraclebox, as I run it fine on a vmware VM in xp.

They are both VM's, however the simulated hardware environment would differ, seeing as the  virtualization software are being developed by different companies, so I am sure that there might be anomalies like this.

But nice to know.

Thanks Gruntlord.

Indeed, they are very different virtualization products so the end result can be vastly different.

• 1 month later...

any idea how to get the mods working on wine for linux?

To be honest, no.

It's not so much an issue of getting it to run on Whine, that part can be done, however to get it to run properly, well, that is a totaly different story... That is why I eventually just abandoned the idea and reverted to virtualisation, instead.

To be honest, it doesn't seem to be an issue with wine, it more seems to be an issue with the game running on newer hardware. If you had a very old pc, I suspect it would run just fine on wine....

As soon as it the game has more CPU power, available to it than it knows what to do with, it just goes haywire....

for me it runs fine on wine on my ubuntu, i just put it to windows 95 mode and i right click on autorun.exe and select open in wine, i install it and then u can p-lay it normally hardly any hassle at all

Which version of Ubuntu?

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I installed Wine and run it. I have older hardware (Athlon 64 3000+ : a single core CPU) and it is OK. I can put with the very fast animation and the jerky scrolling isn't fast for me when I turn the slider to the min. Lesson: Just keep older hardware around. As for me as I cannot afford newer hardware Linux is oneway. I have 7 installed but only for what I cannot have an equivalent in Linux as it is heavy (newer apps are dropping support for XP ) and useless for everyday usage-8 won't run as my graphics card breathed its last and I cannot find a decent replament in a suitable price-besides 8 GUI is crap you need third party applications to get a decent GUI there, 3.11 were much better. And XP mostly for all those good games.