Strategy for 8 player games at hard mode vs AI

The_Dragon_Reborn

Hi,

What's the best strategy for 8p games vs the AI. In jammed maps, 2-3 AI with higher and speedier prodcution starts attacking my harvesters. When I provide harvester defense, other AIs use their troops to tear up the meagre base defense. Sometimes, at the early game, I use snipers and kindjal in rocks to prevent them from coming near the spice fields. But with three fully upgraded refineries, my spice really ends up quick. So then my carryalls have to go to far away (and often enemy controlled fields) to gather spice. And then those bustard leeches and sardaukar get my haresters and carryalls. When I try to micromanage the harvetsers and bring them back, enemy forces start attacking my base defense.

It is not as bad as it sounds, but sometimes it gets this bad, specially in small maps. There is no way to outrun the AI in hard mode, they produce much more. The best bet is to use APC+engineer drop or devastator drop (most effective). A frontal assault is often suicidal.

Gunship, Orni or EITS is also not much effective due to the hordes of AA turrets the AI builds. Gunship is a bit useful, but ornis and EITSs are just pure waste of money. Better use mixed and calculated frontal assaults. Funny thing is, the advanced carryall, to me, is the best air unit in most games ;)

So, my question is, what do you do in hard 8p games? Same for small 2+ p maps (like patchwork mesa 6p). Which do you prefer - base defense or harvester defense. What should be done for harvester defense. How to keep the AI in check and how do I finish the game a bit more faster than 2-3 hours :) ?

TIA (Thanks In Advance).

Dragon, after playing online a few times, I found that Patchwork Mesa was one of the hardest maps to play on, even against the AI. I always lost to human players on that map.  :( About the harvester or base defence? You need an even balance with both, and your base defence will depend on what subhouses are against you. If any enemy has the Guild, Fremen, or IX as a subhouse ally, then you'll have to cover your base with defences (the Atreides Machine Gun post does this quite nicely, since it takes up no power and is good against both vehicles and infantry). To protect your harvesters, scout out the spice fields. Make sure you can see a long way away from the spice fields you are harvesting at so you can spot attacks on your harvester early. Most of the time, I leave my harvesters by themselves, and draw them back to base when they're attacked or about to be attacked. Where you start off at is also important. I try to find rock that is close to a spice field or two, but if that is not possible, then I suggest sending units with a long range out to defend the spice fields. The Atreides Minotaurus isn't too bad at this job, but you'll need to back it up with some anti-air units. Fremen fedaykin are pretty good at this also, since they're invisible and have a powerful short range attack. Don't forget that you'll need to defend against infantry, aircraft, and vehicles, so mix and match for an even balance.  ;) I also think that you built too many refineries for the one patch of spice. I would usually have 3 harvesters at 1 spice field and that's it. Anymore and it runs out too quickly. Carryalls are hard to protect, but the best you can do is harvest as close to your base as possible, and keep the enemy away from your harvesters.

(If you're going to play online, don't play on Patchwork Mesa unless you REALLY know your stuff)  ;D

• 2 weeks later...